Author Topic: The Trapp Family Story (World Masterpiece Theatre)  (Read 212869 times)

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
  • Resident Sailor Moon Freak
    • View Profile
The Trapp Family Story (World Masterpiece Theatre)
« on: May 22, 2006, 11:55:02 am »
Hi folks,

Just so you know.

I am in the process of "persuading" Live-eviL to pick up The Trapp Family Story. A series from Nippon Animation in 1991.

For the uninitiated it's based on the same story that the Sound Of Music was based on and so you'll be able to experience the joy and laughter of seeing Maria and Vonn Trapp children all over again.

Of course Maria sings in this version too so expect lot's of nice songs :D:D:D:D

So far I have the first DVD(the official Bandai Visual ones not the bootlegs >_>)

This will be the first series that I'll be attempting translation on. The Japanese have full Japanese subtitles so it makes it easier for me as my listening skills are still not all that great.

Episode 1 is already translated by yours truly and waiting timing/editing/tl check. The OP/ED are well in to typesetting.

As I'm writing this I'm about 10 minutes in to translating Episode 2.

It's just a bit slow gowing transcribing the subs off the DVD so I can look up words in JWCPE but I'm getting there.

Well look forward to it =D

-gumbaloom

PS
I can assure you that this series will not suffer the same fate as 3,000 Leagues as I own the DVD's and I'm doing primary translation =D (big hint to a certain someone to get their ass in gear)

[16:35]  <Scaevolus> hey leechers have to expend lots of effort, it takes almost a dozen keystrokes to leech stuff
[16:37]  <Mamo-chan> go stroke goomb's ego plz
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> fansubbing is not about leecher ego stroking
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> it's about how much we jizz when w

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
  • *L-E Staff* *Translator/ tlc/ newb typesetter*
    • View Profile
Re: The Trapp Family Story (World Masterpiece Theatre)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 02:23:51 pm »
Hey, Gum, I was wondering, once an anime is licensed....can u get the DVDs and fansub from them?  I mean once u own the DVDs, u can use them for fansubbing....at least thats what u seem to be doing with this new series u have picked up.  Then even with Tsubasa, once it gets licensed, can't u just get the DVDs from Japan, and DVD rip and sub them and post them like that?  I mean it's ur DVD, u can do whatever u want with them...or is that some kind of piracy? Personally I don't understand why these ppl dub them....it's a business most of us don't care about...I mean most of us dislike dubbings...dubs just suck.  Changed dialogues, music, names, censoring...it practically changes the story!  And the horrible western dubbing cast...well I don't blame them....western and Japanese voices and way of speaking is a lot different.  And dubbers seem to always 'Americanize' (I created this word I guess) the series...lolz

And I watched this series (The Trapp Familt Story) many times a long time ago, it's nothing special but it's nice and I am sure kids would like it...I mean many of us like classics.  But u seem to be already lagging behind with ur other projects, why bother about picking up a new show just now? 
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432
22:03 Mamo-chan: :O
22:06 Tsubie-chan: kaawaii

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 02:32:31 pm »
Didn't you read my other post? -.-

Funimation has cleaned up their act in recent times. Yeah they might dub it BUT THERE WILL BE A LEGITIMATE NON HACKED UP SUBTITLED VERSION when they release the DVD's.

I know this myself. I thought they were going to hack Galaxy Railways to pieces but they didn't. So don't go flying accusations at Funimation till you have actually bought/watched some of their Region 1 Discs.

And to answer your question, just because you own a DVD doesnt give you the right to fansub from it. Fansubbing from a Region 2 DVD would just be as bad as ripping a region 1 dvd.

And to answer your other point - the projects that lag are the ones where Tofu plays a major role in it eg translates/encodes it.  ;D ;D ;D

Any project that *I* play a leading role in does not :P

-gumbaloom
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 02:34:24 pm by gumbaloom »
[16:35]  <Scaevolus> hey leechers have to expend lots of effort, it takes almost a dozen keystrokes to leech stuff

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 02:49:37 pm »
Okay so Trapp Family never got licensed?  I thought these World Masterpiece theatre stuff get lots of attention...hmmm.  But I suppose u get the right to sub because it's not licensed, right?  Anyway, I just wanted to say, I can't purchase DVDs because I can't afford them from the low income country I live in so I can only manage to watch the dubs on TV (by the way, Tsubasa Season 1 dub is being showed on Animax Asia now)...and thats what I am frustrated about because although I myself got to watch the original thing....I don't want the others here who will be watching it on Animax to watch some stupid dub with unmatched voices.  And personally I don't get why Animax always cuts out the opening and ending theme song parts...they're very important in an anime.

Actually dubs are only good for detective series...because the series are normally famous for the story and the dialogues, which is normally unchanged with detective stories.  So the only dubbed anime I could say I enjoyed was Detective Academy Q.  Midori no Hibi was also good...and I wish they left the kuns, chans, and sans there...which they never do...and get me confused.

Anyway, good luck with Trapp Family.  Can u tell me why every single project Tofusensei is working on seems to be lagging behind?  Currently, is he doing Tsu 29 and 30 or focusing on the other series that are lagging behind even more?
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 02:57:59 pm »
World Masterpiece Theatre got plenty of attention in the Middle East / Asian Countries but it never made it to US/UK shores.

To the best of my knowledge there has never been a legitimate license for World Masterpiece Theatre series in the UK / US (I'm not talking about bootleg VCD's here) unless you have information to the contrary?

-gumbaloom
PS www.yesasia.com does the Tsubasa DVD's for $54 a pop and they do free shipping to a lot of the Asian countries or very very low cost.

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 03:06:56 pm »
Okay, so these low cost DVDs...they have the original Japanese language and music like u mentioned before, right? ...along with the English dubbing?  In that case, thanx...I'll see what I can do.  Or if I come to the US as planned next year, it would be a different matter...but thats if I get a scholarship and study for higher education. 

And about the Tofusensei thing?  Any info available....?  Well, he is online but he doesn't really seem to bother about writing in posts.  I just hope things are all right with him.

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 03:31:51 pm »
http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/code-j/section-videos/pid-1004028228/

Link to the 1st Volume

The original Japanese DVD. Unsubbed yada yada

I dunno how much it would cost for you to buy from them cos I don't know which Asian country you're from.

If you do manage to come to America. *When* Funimation releases the Region 1's they will be uncut, original music, original voice actors and english subtitles. you should be able to pick Funi's region 1's up for less than $20 a time depending on where you shop. Yes there WILL be a dub track on the DVD's but you just need to make sure you pick the right audio track on your DVD player. Japanese not English =D.

-gumbaloom

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 03:42:27 pm »
http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/code-j/section-videos/pid-1004028228/

Link to the 1st Volume

The original Japanese DVD. Unsubbed yada yada

I dunno how much it would cost for you to buy from them cos I don't know which Asian country you're from.

If you do manage to come to America. *When* Funimation releases the Region 1's they will be uncut, original music, original voice actors and english subtitles. you should be able to pick Funi's region 1's up for less than $20 a time depending on where you shop. Yes there WILL be a dub track on the DVD's but you just need to make sure you pick the right audio track on your DVD player. Japanese not English =D.

-gumbaloom
thanx..how do u manage to get the time to reply to so many posts...lolz
And I calculated from their website....a single DVD would cost me 1/6th of my monthly salary (when I get the job that is)..which is quite a lot.  So the problem still remains.....(THATS WHY I WANNA GET OUTA HERE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, NO ANIME, NO LIFE!!!! :'(}
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 03:50:12 pm by Tsubasa »

Offline Sun_Tze

• Condor Hero
  • Beware the eyebrow of doom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 08:35:41 pm »
World Masterpiece Theatre got plenty of attention in the Middle East / Asian Countries but it never made it to US/UK shores.

Errm...

Change that to Europe, Middle East and Asian Countries :P
Something tells me where's not in Kansas anymore...

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 07:47:08 pm »
Oh so it did receive in the UK too?  It must...I mean stories like A Little Princess, the Secret Garden are set in the UK...

Offline Graps

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 09:23:31 pm »
" torappu ikka monogatari" was aired at least in Italy, Austria, Germany, France (massive censored) and AFAIK in Belgium, too.
Some details are available here: http://users.animanga.com/meisaku/91_pres_E.htm

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 09:30:32 pm »
What?  :o Why did they have to censor it?  ??? I mean...there was hardly any explicit content.  I have watched all the episodes...didn't find anything worth 'censoring' .  Has censoring become a habit for dubbers? Lolz.... ::)

Offline Graps

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 09:46:18 pm »
The French removed most contend concerning Nazis. Unfortunately, the last episodes take place in 1938, so the didnt only remove all swastikas, they also canceled some complete episodes.
Seems like an attempt to re-write history ...  ::)

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 10:09:37 pm »
Some people just don't wanna face the truth, the western hemisphere is always trying to rewrite history...or avoid any attempts to allow people to recall it...the Nazis happened, it's history, whats the big deal now?!  I just hate these stuff....like the PokeMon incident.

Offline Sun_Tze

• Condor Hero
  • Beware the eyebrow of doom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2006, 03:06:19 am »
Some people just don't wanna face the truth, the western hemisphere is always trying to rewrite history...or avoid any attempts to allow people to recall it...the Nazis happened, it's history, whats the big deal now?!  I just hate these stuff....like the PokeMon incident.

Long story made short: Club Dorothée/AB Video.

AB Video has been known to be the french version of Harmony Gold, so, that pretty much explains everything.
Something tells me where's not in Kansas anymore...