Author Topic: The Trapp Family Story (World Masterpiece Theatre)  (Read 217062 times)

Offline Tofusensei

• Admin
  • Rakuen Hero
  • Believe in love.
    • View Profile
Re: The Trapp Family Story (World Masterpiece Theatre)
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2006, 08:16:13 am »
Some people just don't wanna face the truth, the western hemisphere is always trying to rewrite history...or avoid any attempts to allow people to recall it...the Nazis happened, it's history, whats the big deal now?!  I just hate these stuff....like the PokeMon incident.

Yeah, b/c Asian countries have never been known to do things like historical revisionism...  ::)

Oddly enough, this week is the 40th anniversary of the Cultural Revolution in China and you /still/ can't openly discuss it in China.

-Tofu
The alpha and the omega of Live-eviL.

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
  • *L-E Staff* *Translator/ tlc/ newb typesetter*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2006, 09:56:17 am »
Yeah, b/c Asian countries have never been known to do things like historical revisionism...  ::)

Oddly enough, this week is the 40th anniversary of the Cultural Revolution in China and you /still/ can't openly discuss it in China.

-Tofu
Yeah, but I'm talking about the US dubs here, how they censor stuff that reminds them anything about a hideous historical event...like the 9/11 attack, Katrina, Nazis, etc.....us anime watchers have the right to watch the complete uncensored thing---no matter what it may contain.  If a viewer has a problem, he/she can just stop watching it.  Well, when they do censor things like hentai/ecchi scenes, thats acceptable but all these historical issues!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 11:35:25 am by Tsubasa »
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432
22:03 Mamo-chan: :O
22:06 Tsubie-chan: kaawaii

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2006, 10:27:22 am »

-Tofu

Also, I live in a Asian country as well and all my country seems to be good at is reviving historical events in our minds ;)...whether it's one of those blood shedding ones like wars or if it's some event which brought prosperity to the humankind.  I mean here, people ruin their past and hence the future through all the stupid mistakes they make  >:((without thinking beforehand and worship and deify the history as if they will hang you if you cannot say what happened on so so day of so so year.  ::) And what they don't understand is we need to focus on the present and see what can be done to improve conditions and ensure a better future for the people. 

History and histroy...the no. 1 in the list of priorities.  This is all they care about.  At least if they learned from the mistakes made in the past, I would have said this too much history thing did do good but since I haven't seen anything of that sort.... >:(

For example, the street I live in used to be called 'New Circular Road'.  A week back they changed it to 'Shahid Selina Parveen Road' ???...and this Late Selina Parveen was some kind of a war heroine I think...act of worship.  ::) Now did they need to do that? ::)
She didn't even work or live here!

So referring to this as a habit of 'Asian countries' would be a bit generalising, don't you think?  And also the word 'never'.... ;D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 10:45:14 am by Tsubasa »
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2006, 02:18:57 pm »
Trapp Ep. 1 is coming out soon!

Offline BlueLion

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
Trapp Family Story
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2006, 09:56:09 am »
I cite:

OUT: Trapp Family Story - Ep 1 (NEW SHOW)
June 30th, 2006
Are you ready for a treat? You know you are. And we’ve got it for you right here at Live-evil!

We bring to you a classic World Masterpiece Theatre anime: The Trapp Family Story. This charming story stars Maria Kutschera, better known as Maria vonTrapp. That’s right, this is based on the novel that everybody’s favorite movie “The Sound of Music” is also based on. So, if you’re looking for a classic with romance, action, and of course some great songs, check out The Trapp Family Story now!

Unlike some of our other shows of late, our Trapp project is well-staffed and in no danger of lagging. So enjoy the show and look forward to more eps to come!

I'd like to add to the announcement, that the story isn't just based on a novel, but on reality. The Trapp Family existed (I even believe some grandsons and granddaughters of Maria von Trapp are alive in the USA still). 
The following biografical data may be a spoiler to the plot - so please stop reading here, if you don't want to spoil the anime ...

*  *  *  *  *  * S  P  O  I  L  E  R     W  A  R  N  I  N  G  *  *  *  *  *  *

Maria Augusta Kutschera was born on January 26th 1905 in Vienna. Her mother died a few days after her birth, she also lost her father three years later. Afterwards she grew up at her grandmothers and a warden.
She was trained to become a teacher and entered the roman-catholic Neulandbewegung after an experience of faith. She worked as governess at the school of the Nonnberg Abbey in Salzburg and wanted to enter the order later on.
The abbess sent her to become the tutor of the reconvalescent Maria, daughter of the famous Austrian Captain, Baron Georg Ludwig von Trapp.  On November 26th, 1927, she became the second wife of the widower Trapp. She gave birth to his daughters Rosemarie (1929) and Eleonore (1931).
Since the family lost its complete capital in 1935, she founded a family chorus with her husband's children (five daughters, two sons). Franz Wasner, the music enthusiastic house chaplain of the family, took over the musical lead. Already in 1937 the chorus won the first prize of the folk singer competition in the Salzburger Festspiele.
As officer loyal to the emperor Trapp wasn't acceptable anymore after the annection of Austria to the Third Reich in 1938. In the same year the family emigrated to the USA. (Here the anime ends).

In the USA the son Johannes was born in 1939. They settled in Stowe, Vermont, and built a house called "Cor Unum".  The family went on concert tours in the USA under the name of "Trapp Family singers". They organized an aid action "Trapp Family Austrian Relief Inc." after WW II, and collected clothing and food for Austria. After the death of Baron von Trapp in 1947 daughter Johanna left the chorus, son Werner did so later on.
The chorus went on several tournees, e.g. through South America and Australia. 1950 Maria Augusta von Trapp performed with her chorus at the Salzburg Festspiele. 1956 the chorus, which had performed about 2000 concerts all over the world, was disbanded.  The surviving "children" live in the USA on their Ranch.
In the age of 82, Baronesse Maria Augusta von Trapp died on March 28th, 1987 in Morrisville.
(source: wikipedia.de; translation is all mine)

If anyone is interested, I could give you some information about the historical background of Austria at the time of the Trapp Family.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 10:47:34 am by BlueLion »

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
  • Resident Sailor Moon Freak
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2006, 10:18:01 am »
If people on the forum are interested then sure but as for the fansub we have a copy of the original book and internet resources to check historical facts.

Thanks for the offer though.

-gumbaloom
[16:35]  <Scaevolus> hey leechers have to expend lots of effort, it takes almost a dozen keystrokes to leech stuff
[16:37]  <Mamo-chan> go stroke goomb's ego plz
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> fansubbing is not about leecher ego stroking
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> it's about how much we jizz when w

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2006, 10:26:02 am »
[anger]
Topic Removed:
The Trapp Family Story (World Masterpice Theatre) MASTER THREAD

Gum you Meanie!   :'( I think this topic is too old to be made into a MASTER THREAD.   >:(

The only reason I didn't write anything on that topic while you discovered it was because I was planning to come back later to make a nice little post after I attended my guests.

Grrrr......

Make another thread yourself then, will ya?! >:( >:( >:( >:( [/anger]

Anyway, you folks all know that

Ep. 1 is out!!![/size][/b][/color]

* Tsubasa [sarcasm] leaving it to Gum to write any further stuff regarding it. [/sarcasm]  ::)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 10:43:00 am by Tsubasa »

Offline Alinalennon

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2006, 01:33:07 pm »
I just watched the first episode.

Just wanted to thank you guys for traslating it!
I want to watch all the World Masterpice Theatre animes, and thanks to you - I have an other anime I can watch.  ;D

I'm looking foward for ther next episodes. The anime is really lovely, and I really like the old animation.

BTW, what's happening with "3000 leagues in search of mother"?  ??? :-[ :-[ :-[
Please don't drop it!  :(
Yuki Eiri is awesome, worship him! ^_^

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2006, 02:37:38 pm »
The blame for the neglect of 3000 leagues lies squarely at the feet of Tofu. If he can't handle subbing Nana / Tsubasa the chances of him handling 3000 leages is next to nothing :-/

Once cash flor allows I'm gonna comandeer 3000 leagues if Tofu doesnt stop failing it on that project.

-gumbaloom
[16:35]  <Scaevolus> hey leechers have to expend lots of effort, it takes almost a dozen keystrokes to leech stuff

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2006, 04:59:48 pm »
ZOMG Ep 2 out

And we have our first song too!

-gumbaloom

Offline lib

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2006, 07:26:49 pm »
Thanks for the sub - I'm a big fan of older japanese series. Please, keep up (or increase...  ;D) the speed - there are 40 episodes in all and at this rate I'll get to see the last episode in... well, two years? :)
Just joking. Love you all, keep up the great work on 3000 leagues and Snow Queen (hint, hint)

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2006, 07:47:15 pm »
Hint for potential translators you mean.  ;D

Offline latin lover

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2006, 06:09:37 pm »
did they ever release a english version of this show?

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2006, 08:27:49 pm »
Uhhhh if there was an English version we wouldnt be subbing it :P

World Masterpiece Theatre was largely overlooked by the english speaking world despite large parts of continental Europe showing it.

I know it's daft, the English speaking world ignoring books written by some of America's and Europes literary greats :o

-gumbaloom

Offline latin lover

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2006, 09:17:59 pm »
becuase i know there is a spanish version but i don't know if there ever was a english version