Author Topic: Come QC for Live-Evil!  (Read 75270 times)

Offline Blue Mage

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
Come QC for Live-Evil!
« on: July 09, 2006, 09:23:52 pm »
Do you like You're Under Arrest, Shion no Ou, Detective Academy Q, and the other Live-Evil projects? Would you like to get involved in fansubbing?

We need more QCers! The quality checker's purpose in life is to watch an episode and nitpick. We ask you to find any errors in translation (any that are easily detectable at least), editing, timing, typesetting, and encoding. It's a great way to learn about fansubbing and to start getting involved. Benefits include watching pre-releases and bitching at ops when they screw up.  ;)

The primary requirements include competency in modern-day english (spelling, grammar, syntax and diction), as well as the ability to play those video types used by L-E. A passing familiarity with VDub, Aegisub or Substation Alpha is handy but certainly not necessary.

All potential QCers, please please please read this page before applying, as that will be our first question to you! http://www.live-evil.org/so-you-want-to-be-a-live-evil-qcer/

If you feel up to the task, pm tlynnec (aka. tlynnec|LLE) either here in the forums or in the IRC channel (#live-evil on irc.enterthegame.com) or email tlynnec@live-evil.org.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 09:37:53 am by Blue Mage »
My mind is like a sieve. It retains all sorts of interesting bits and lets the important stuff flow straight through.

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
  • *L-E Staff* *Translator/ tlc/ newb typesetter*
    • View Profile
Re: Come QC for Live-Evil!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 08:05:45 am »
We already have six regular qc'ers for Detective Academy Q, practically two people with actually something called qc control.  But we desperately need for the other series like Mami.  So people please, it's a fun job, worthwhile job, and we'll love you if you volunteer to qc for us.  Just post on this thread, drop in a pm or visit the channel.  No previous experience required, just a good level of attention span ^^ and stable internet connection--and yes those mentioned above except the techinal stuff aren't largely required but would be a plus point. Of-course you can always learn.  The technical knowledge is required for qc fix, and non-technical is okay for only qc'ing.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 09:41:34 am by Tsubasa »
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432
22:03 Mamo-chan: :O
22:06 Tsubie-chan: kaawaii

Offline Willow

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 03:44:12 am »
Hi. I've been QCing for Live-Evil for about 7 months now. I've had a lot of fun here. I get to see episodes before they're released. I've also seen a lot of good stuff that I otherwise wouldn't have noticed. I've gone on to download the earlier episodes for many of these series, I thought they were that good.

Do you have a favourite series here that's stalled? Would you like to see it moving again? If you're in the QC team you'll have a better chance to get it started again. Do you want to learn how to fan-sub? The QC team talks to people who can teach you. Do you want to make friends with people scattered around the world? Here is your chance.

When I joined the Live-eviL QC team I told then right off that I had a second reason for coming. I wanted to get Creamy Mami moving again. Over the months I've done more than QC. I've learned how to time. I've done some editing. And when a new translator came along I was able to work with her to get Creamy Mami started again.

So here's our problem. Tlynnec and I are the two most active members of the QC team. Lately, we've also started editing. But we can't QC our own work. Another of our members recently disappeared. (Not suprising. People come and go.  :-* ) And the staff working on Detective Academy Q, Captain Harlock and Creamy Mami are all trying to increase productivity to 3 or 4 episodes a month for each of these series.

So we need new people to help out the rest of the QC staff.

Especially since one of Live-eviL's two main mandates is to produce high quality fan subs. (The other is to get some of the older series fan-subbed.) This means that every time an episode enters QC, we want at least three people to QC it.

So if you are interested, here is what you need to do. You need to tell Gumbaloom that you would like to volunteer. The best way is to catch him chatting in IRC channel #live-evil @ irc.enterthegame.com. He is also know as Professor_Gumba there. If he's not chatting, then PM him. Alternately, leave a message for Gumbaloom on the forum here. Keep trying. Eventually you will get noticed.

We are looking for people with the following skills.
- You must know English grammar fairly well. If you got a reasonly good mark in grade 10 English then you are probably OK.
- We don't expect you to QC everything that comes along but you must be willing to QC several series.
- Whey you QC something, the report needs to be submitted reasonably quickly. When something is ready to QC, we try to get reports from three people over the next day or so. Not counting download time it probably takes around 40 to 60 minutes to QC a 24 minute episode. When you're done you upload your notes, telling us what you think should be changed.
- We want people who are willing to make a commitment. If you think you're willing to put in an hour or two a week, we'd really like to hear from you.

If you've been watching fan-subbed anime and you've ever wondered what it would be like to do fan-subbing yourself, here is your chance.

Go for it!  ;D

Offline bobby6

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 03:49:51 am »
We could truly use a few more dedicated QCer's at this point!!!!
Lack of QC staff=slower releases  :-[  :'(
Right now we only have 2 or 3 people who QC lots of projects on a regular basis, so if you have a favorite anime and you are frustrated with slow releases, do something about it. Come and be a QCer. Its fun, pretty easy and there are perks as well.
"<YaoiBoy> hi guys
<YaoiBoy> nice job getting DN out
<Blue_Mage> I think I might be addicted to the ending song...
<Blue_Mage> It's so pretty."
ROFL ;D

Offline PlasticYakuza

• Condor Hero
  • Drunken Bishie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 01:39:30 am »
I'm not really busy with anything at the moment so I can help out with qcing on something. Just shoot me a pm on irc and I will be more than happy.
libido bending hot signals sending

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 11:37:10 am »
Harlock 15 qc....that was fast as usual.  Maybe we'll need more qc'ers for GE though.

-Tsubasa
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432

Offline jamesn

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 09:38:11 am »
Hey there!
I am interested in joining you QC team especially for the Matsumoto works, and Creamy Mami. I would also be available to QC for other works as well. You should be able to contact me through this site and I look foward to helping you guys out as I've taken quite alot from your site and would like to give back! Give me a day or so to see whats going on for me around home and I should get back A.S.A.P.. Also I am not good at the Japanese language so I wouldn't be able to help there, but my english is quite good.

I'll send the proper forums when I can in a day or so.

Thanks!
-James

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
  • Resident Sailor Moon Freak
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 11:18:46 pm »
Dude, come on IRC.

If you can make it on to IRC and to our IRC chan you're all good.

if you need help www.kasshin.net / google for irc guides

-gumbaloom
[16:35]  <Scaevolus> hey leechers have to expend lots of effort, it takes almost a dozen keystrokes to leech stuff
[16:37]  <Mamo-chan> go stroke goomb's ego plz
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> fansubbing is not about leecher ego stroking
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> it's about how much we jizz when w

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 05:21:55 am »
yay yay Mami at last (hopefully).
If you qc, you'll get more web links and guides like that from gumba (as a present).

-Tsubasa

Offline Masakari

• kl33my Hero
  • Scourge of the Matsumoto Division (FLAME!)
    • View Profile
    • Live Evil
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 07:25:37 am »
If you want in to the Matsumoto Division, talk to one of it's members DIRECTLY, and don't bother with the riff-raff out there. I think you will find it to be a rewarding experience, and it could potentially affect the rate of release!

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 08:48:57 am »
Oh really?  ::) When bobby was talking to you....Matsumoto Division Right-hand man...she didn't get any response.  >:( When Willow and I talked to her, that's when she got recruited finally and she has been great with her work so far.  :) So yeah, this way does not always work.  :-\ Even with the Matsumoto Division you'd have to choose the right person to talk to, first of all.  8)

-Tsubasa
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 09:02:43 am by Tsubasa »

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 10:25:26 am »
Yes indeed Masakari, you might have l33t Harlock editing skillz but your people skills SUCK.

-gumbaloom
[16:35]  <Scaevolus> hey leechers have to expend lots of effort, it takes almost a dozen keystrokes to leech stuff

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 12:45:37 pm »
people skillz....in your case, Masa, that summarises a lot of stuff you constantly fuck up.  ;)

-Tsubasa

Offline neobody

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 04:50:53 pm »
What must people do, to become a QC?

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 05:04:17 pm »
Come talk to me first on IRC (#live-evil on irc.enterthegame.com) nick - gumbaloom or Professor_Goomba

If you convince me that you are suitable for initiation in to the QC cult I will indoctrinate you in to our ways after which others will take care of the "finer details"  XD

-gumbaloom