Author Topic: Bittorrent  (Read 12183 times)

Offline DarkSkyLady

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
Bittorrent
« on: November 12, 2006, 04:41:05 am »
When I tried to download Death Note ep6 it said "torrent rejected by tracker". Does anyone know why it did this and how I can fix it. I thought it might be my computer because we were having connection problems, plus my mom kept having to shut down my computer while it was downloading because of my cats. How do I fix this?

Offline Blue Mage

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Bittorrent
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 04:48:44 am »
I believe scarywater has been acting rather oddly of late. If the torrent won't restart on its own, try deleting the torrent itself and redownloading it.
My mind is like a sieve. It retains all sorts of interesting bits and lets the important stuff flow straight through.

Offline DarkSkyLady

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 05:00:43 am »
I tried that several times and it still won't work. I'm not sure what's going on. I'm trying to figure out if it's a problem I created or if they are having trouble. Thanks for the info.  ;D Do you have any other suggestions that I can try?

Offline Blue Mage

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 05:08:33 am »
When I go to download that ep. I get a message saying that the tracker is down (even though it really isn't) but I can connect to peers remotely. The only other things I can think of are to delete the back up version of the torrent in your application data (If you're using Windows, it's in your local settings under the hidden "application data" folder and it should be in a folder for whatever client you use) and then redownloading it.

If that doesn't work you could try deleting what you have downloaded so far. Or potentially another client (Azureus or uTorrent) might have more luck.

Failing that, try the IRC channel (#live-evil@enterthegame.com). If you haven't used IRC to download before, ask and someone will be happy to help you out.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 05:12:07 am by Blue Mage »
My mind is like a sieve. It retains all sorts of interesting bits and lets the important stuff flow straight through.

Offline DarkSkyLady

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 05:16:56 am »
I'm a really big noob when it comes to this stuff. I'm trying to find the folder you mentioned but can't find it. Where do I look on Windows to delete it? Sorry for all the questions I just really want to fix this before I have to go to school on Monday.  ;D

Offline Blue Mage

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 05:20:27 am »
Yeah, we've been discussing this in the channel. Forget that.

Your best options are either to switch to one of Azureus, BitComet or uTorrent (all of which support decentralized tracking) or to hit the IRC chan.

Offline DarkSkyLady

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 05:25:19 am »
I'll check out BitComet. Thank you so much!! ;D

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
  • *L-E Staff* *Translator/ tlc/ newb typesetter*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 06:52:15 am »
Ok here it is, if you're on a less than 1.5 GHz system, forget about Azureus. It rapes the memory. I am on a slow computer so I like my BitComet. Apart from that, if you're going to use BitComet, go for the pre 0.64 versions, they're better at avoiding slow speeds caused by firewall configurations.  ;)

-Tsubasa
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 06:54:25 am by Tsubasa »
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432
22:03 Mamo-chan: :O
22:06 Tsubie-chan: kaawaii

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 06:56:02 am »
Yeah, we've been discussing this in the channel. Forget that.

Your best options are either to switch to one of Azureus, BitComet or uTorrent (all of which support decentralized tracking) or to hit the IRC chan.

µTorrent supports:
Priotarization
DHT tracker/network
Selective Downloading
Encryption
Tracker
Remote Control
Super Seeding
RSS
UPnP Port Mapping

Besides that, it uses only 7000k memory.

Azureus supports:
All the above features plus it got all sorts of fancy features and makes you happy. However, it's one of the worst memory whores and will kill your CPU unless you're on a accelerated system. You also require Java. Recommended to anyone with a fast system and who cares more about perfection than CPU usage and do not find having Java installed a problem.

BitComet supports:
Most of the stuff above. What it doesn't support are:
Remote control
super seeding

Memory usage is 20000k to 30000k, although I am damn sure it was lower before.  :-\ It apparently is the best choice client for slow connections like dial-up. There is a leech-only mode too...although that's not a nice feature of-course. You can preview incomplete files and for several other features, I like BitComet the best.

-Tsubasa

Info taken and summarised from http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-client-comparison.

22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432

Offline suzaku_nomiko

• Rakuen Hero
  • いとおしい人のために
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 07:22:50 am »
bittornado  is what I always use and it seems to never have problems with scarywater no matter what state it is in.

-resident Cat Girl of Live-eviL
Timer, encoder,Noob-Typesetter ,GM, Keeper of the claws of death by Kawaii!
Yasashii yoru ni hitori utau uta. Asu wa kimi to utaou. Yume no tsubasa ni notte.

Offline keepergirl

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 07:24:08 am »
I do feel compelled to mention here that some trackers reject BitComet, especially older versions of BitComet.  I believe BitComet was one the clients that essentially cheated the system- it basically lied to the trackers saying that it had uploaded much more than it actually had.  Since bittorrent is a give-and-take system, uploading (not necessarily a huge amount) helps speed up your own downloading speed.  So a few clients, including older versions of BitComet, acted as though they had uploaded in order to increase users' speeds.

But all that wasn't really needed.  Just know that I've heard some groups' trackers reject BitComet.

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 07:27:08 am »
That's prior to 0.60. The 0.60 versions works best. Anything prior to that cheats, anything after that gives your low speed than you're capable of getting and more trackers block it.

-Tsubasa