Author Topic: The Ideal BitTorrent Client for you  (Read 22060 times)

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
  • *L-E Staff* *Translator/ tlc/ newb typesetter*
    • View Profile
The Ideal BitTorrent Client for you
« on: November 12, 2006, 07:25:26 am »
Okay, I've posted this in another thread and I thought we should have a main thread regarding the best BitTorrent out there so here it is.

The following is a list of features of the current top three BitTorrent clients in order of rank:

µTorrent supports:
Priotarization
DHT tracker/network
Selective Downloading
Encryption
Tracker
Remote Control
Super Seeding
RSS
UPnP Port Mapping

Besides that, it uses only 7000k memory.

Azureus supports:
All the above features plus it got all sorts of fancy features and makes you happy. However, it's one of the worst memory whores and will kill your CPU unless you're on a accelerated system. You also require Java. Recommended to anyone with a fast system and who cares more about perfection than CPU usage and do not find having Java installed a problem.

BitComet supports:
Most of the stuff above. What it doesn't support are:
Remote control
super seeding

Memory usage is 20000k to 30000k, although I am damn sure it was lower before.  :-\ It apparently is the best choice client for slow connections like dial-up. There is a leech-only mode too...although that's not a nice feature of-course. You can preview incomplete files and for several other features, I like BitComet the best.

Apart from that:

The 4th position is held by XBT which is a very 'serious-looking' client ^^;; and doesn't support encryption, RSS unfortunately no DHT. So for scarywater's sake, DO NOT USE IT.  ABC holds the 5th position and is a confusing but nice looking client which looks simple but is really bad for slow connections and definitely not recommended for non-advanced users of BT clients. It is similar to a client we all know, BitTornado, which holds the 6th position. BitTornado is one window per torrent and it doesn't support queing, best way to describe it will be the modern version of the classical first BitTorrent client, the BitTorrent. Both ABC and BitTornado do not have DHT backup network so not recommended till scarywater stops having issues.

The first time I ever used BitTorrent, I became a victim of the Artic torrent. That's the most horrible client ever. Looks horrible like a DOS window, non of the nine essential features that most of us require for smooth download. Plus the hashing isn't accurate and saving incomplete. Only recommended to users who do not download batch torrents, do not mind frustrating speeds in the order of 100bytes/sec. ~_~ and do not care about what they're doing and are also on a <500MHz system. So I'll recommend it to my grandma.  ;)

I'll add more stuff as I come along them.

-Tsubasa

Most of the info taken and summarised from http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-client-comparison.
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432
22:03 Mamo-chan: :O
22:06 Tsubie-chan: kaawaii

Offline keepergirl

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
Re: The Ideal BitTorrent Client for you
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 07:39:40 am »
Just wanted to add to this, I personally use ABC and have been using it for years.  It's true that it doesn't use DHT, so if the tracker is down, you have to wait.  Other than that, though, I've never had any problems with it.  And really, it's not complex at all.  It's laid out simply enough, and even doing things like downloading one episode out of a batch is very simple. 

Not saying you all should run and get ABC, but I figured I would just add this, having years of experience using this client.
(And Tsubie, I think non-advanced users would be perfectly capable of using ABC.  It was my first client as well, and I had no problems figuring everything out.)

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 07:46:07 am »
Well, I'm happy it worked out for you keep  :) but I used it for a month too and it was horrible for me.  :'( Not only my speed was #$&#% but I didn't get the stats and stuff too.  I guess having DHT on BitComet improved things. If you go to sites regarding client comparison, most of them do not have any detailed info regarding ABC except that nice interface thingy.  :P So I was curious and checked it out and felt like I was trying to call New York from here on my cell through ISD lol.  :-\

-Tsubasa
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432

Offline Draconis

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 08:04:05 pm »
I started off on Azureus for the first few months and didn't have any problems.
But having Java running all the time and the memory usage killed my internet connection so it was difficult to DL and surf at the same time.

Then a friend suggested BitComet...version 59 back then and I've been stuck to it ever since.
It goes through more updates( as far as I've seen) then any other client right now.
Always trying to improve the program it normally only gets better, just a few a new release had a bug which prompted for another upgrade, but I won't complain.

Here's my MasterCard slogan on it:
Bitcomet=free
VLC media player=free
fansubs=free

Watching all the anime you can handle=priceless
" No one really wants to die.."

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 08:17:16 pm »
All BT clients are free.  :D

-Tsubasa

Offline aarenlainey

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 06:31:48 am »
The uTorrent is one of the best Free BitTorrent client for netbook.What makes uTorrent an ideal bittorrent client for netbooks is its extremely small size and less than 6MB of memory requirement.This makes uTorrent really light on your netbook resources,and provides you with a good to use bittorent client to download torrents.

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 01:14:06 am »
What I like about µtorrent is that it's available for macs :D.

Offline tenkenX6

• Live Evil Members
  • kl33my Hero
  • I still sub, I guess?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 07:07:00 am »
I've only used a few different bit torrent clients in the past but I like u torrent a lot. It's light weight and fast.  8)

Offline soxonoxon

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 09:39:02 am »
Back in the day I used Azureus and loved it. Not too long ago I tried it again to see how it had changed, and wow, just way to much junk going on.

I've been using Transmission for awhile and it works pretty good.  I've been meaning to try out µTorrent to see if it's any better than Transmission.
signature was abducted by dragons...

Offline ConsiderPhlebas

• n00b Hero
  • CP in QC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 11:13:03 am »
Back in the day I used Azureus and loved it. Not too long ago I tried it again to see how it had changed, and wow, just way to much junk going on.
Switch to the Classic UI and it's back to normal.

Offline soxonoxon

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 09:27:37 am »
Switch to the Classic UI and it's back to normal.

If only I had known that then! It still seems a little too commercialy now though, so I doubt I will give it another try.
signature was abducted by dragons...