Author Topic: DEATH NOTE!!!! .:.Master Thread.:.  (Read 255498 times)

Offline lindewell

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
Re: DEATH NOTE!!!! .:.Master Thread.:.
« Reply #270 on: November 20, 2006, 01:12:22 am »
Thank you, that's all I wanted to know, good news  :)

EDIT:I thought i was in the death note movie thread  :D
Ya i won't read before i've watched the current episode next time.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 01:31:53 am by lindewell »

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 20, 2006, 02:03:11 am »
While you may see no good in it, as do I, in fact, those who commit the crimes have to have some motive. It's like saying "I hate this food" but then someone else likes it. It's a difference in opinion, really, and while most may believe it to be wrong, it is not entirely so, as, out of 6 billion people (nearing 7, I believe) there is bound to be a select few who have opposing opinions and, while we say wrong, they say right.

Much like the difference in opinion Light and the police have (getting back to the subject). While Light believes he is justice, L believes that  he is injustice.

That's what I mean by nothing is always entirely right or wrong.
When it comes to justice, it's a territorial issue.
The cops, the law, the judges, the state; in a 'modern' society those are (supposedly) the sole propietors and dispensors of justice.  When a vigilante or some other party outside that order appears, someone who dispenses justice on his own accord, it does not matter what the vigilante believes or if his brand of 'justice' is the same as the cops' or not.  It does not matter if the vigilante acts for justice at all or for his own selfish needs.  Conflict is inevitable, b'cos he is outside the structure and control of the police, yet he still takes their role.  That his methods are more efficient than the police, it is bound to make the police feel even more threatened by his mere existance.  For one man to become the 'new' police, the 'new' state, the one who ultimately decides who lives and who dies, that is a threat to the modern society on so many different levels.

And there are absolute rights and wrongs in this world, things dictated by nature, things dictated by heaven, etc. 

Offline tlynnec

• Rakuen Hero
  • L-E\LLE Staff Editor/TS/encode/QC
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website... it's safe.
« Reply #272 on: November 20, 2006, 05:45:36 am »
And there are absolute rights and wrongs in this world, things dictated by nature, things dictated by heaven, etc. 

Which takes it right back to my point.  Light has developed a god complex. And, because he thinks of himself as a god, he believes that all of his actions fall under the 'absolute right' of "things dictated by heaven."  The question is whether the rest of the world agrees with that perception or not.  ;)
You shall taste oblivion! ... which tastes like redbull... which is disgusting...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am staff, hear me roar!

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
  • *L-E Staff* *Translator/ tlc/ newb typesetter*
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 20, 2006, 05:58:02 am »
OK, eggs bring back life.  ;D

I've grown up believing no one absolutely no one, has rights to take someone else's life other than God himself. So any 'Godly' act commited by a human being will either be treated as wrong or extremely generous act due to having a good heart. Because Godly acts can both be either extremely bad or extremely good. However, when it's good, you get praised because we believe humans can be as good as they are capable of but when it's 'bad' it's immediately classified as wrong and only justifed by those who have been involved in a similar course of action and either have no or little regret. But as tlynnec agrees, the reason why Light doesn't see it as wrong is because he now has a God-like complex and he believes himself to be in possession of the rights to take others' life like God and has no regret and hence no control over it. And for similar reasons, his actions are to some extent justified by many of the members watching DN and following this thread in this forum.

-Tsubasa

22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432
22:03 Mamo-chan: :O
22:06 Tsubie-chan: kaawaii

Offline twik

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 20, 2006, 06:42:01 am »
Which takes it right back to my point.  Light has developed a god complex. And, because he thinks of himself as a god, he believes that all of his actions fall under the 'absolute right' of "things dictated by heaven."  The question is whether the rest of the world agrees with that perception or not.  ;)

Indeed, this is the force that has been driving the story for some time now.  Light could have masqueraded as a typical student and fooled even a very committed observer, but instead chooses to kill at the first hint of trouble.  Though he outwardly fears capture, he is not content to quietly rid society of its worst criminals.  I believe the impossible task of reconciling his desire to be recognized with the need to remain anonymous is going to lead him to ever more perilous situations.  It has been interesting to watch his god complex evolve from taunting the authorities, to showing a victim his face, and most recently admitting out loud, "I'm Kira."  To Light, removing those that oppose him is no longer a necessary evil.  It is a victory to be relished.

Early on the question may have been whether the rest of the world agreed with him, but it is becoming clear that even though some of the public may give him the benefit of the doubt, people who have kept a close watch on Light's actions (within the show) do not.  A more interesting question might ask if he IS a god.  Light differs from everyone else with a god complex in that he actually has godlike powers.  Certainly the ability to take life does not necessarily translate into the right to do so, but then again, being a god does not necessitate being good either.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 06:44:59 am by twik »

Offline tlynnec

• Rakuen Hero
  • L-E\LLE Staff Editor/TS/encode/QC
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website... it's safe.
« Reply #275 on: November 20, 2006, 07:56:12 am »
To Light, removing those that oppose him is no longer a necessary evil.  It is a victory to be relished.
Very good point.  Light's continued evolvement is definitly part of what hooked me to the show and will continue to keep my interest.

A more interesting question might ask if he IS a god.  Light differs from everyone else with a god complex in that he actually has godlike powers.  Certainly the ability to take life does not necessarily translate into the right to do so, but then again, being a god does not necessitate being good either.

Wow, now there's a perspective I hadn't considered.  He certainly has god-like capabilities, but I don't think that makes him a god, for two reasons:
1. The powers are not in fact his own. By definition, they belong to the notebook, and without it he is powerless. 
2. Most definitions of a "god" include one key point: they are immortal or near-immortal.  Light is neither.
You shall taste oblivion! ... which tastes like redbull... which is disgusting...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am staff, hear me roar!

Offline twik

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 20, 2006, 08:41:43 am »
Wow, now there's a perspective I hadn't considered.  He certainly has god-like capabilities, but I don't think that makes him a god, for two reasons:
1. The powers are not in fact his own. By definition, they belong to the notebook, and without it he is powerless. 
2. Most definitions of a "god" include one key point: they are immortal or near-immortal.  Light is neither.

Hehe, I came to the same conclusion, but it was a fun scenario to consider.

Offline Draconis

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 20, 2006, 10:53:45 am »
In light( no pun intended) of recent episodes, the immortal subject is most important. As he said when he is able "to be god over the world he is created" he wants it to last as long as possible, hence not taking the shingami eyes.
Light very well knows he is not a God and to me isn't trying to become one.
Rather his attempts at his world because he didn't feel adequate living in what the world had become...but he obviously likes to be controlling. Like making the entire world afraid to commit a crime because of fear of death...
in a lighter way(still no pun) I wish our world was more like that...
people don't fear the "justice" we have left and the consequences aren't that bleak...

Maybe humans should be required to take a test to see if they deserver their freewill, yes it is hypocritical to force someone to be able to choose or not
but too many people do it cause " I just can" I just do or I can get away with it
" No one really wants to die.."

Offline lindewell

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 20, 2006, 01:55:15 pm »
For me there is no doubt the author wanted to show Light as a psychopath from the very beginning. There were no progress through an evil behavior. In the 1st episode L tells him what he's doing is not justice and it's bad.
Light behind his apparence of a nice and smart guy (listen how he speaks to Ray's widow), he's very egocentric and has no concerns for the feelings of others. He tries to put himself in risky situations (just think how dangerous was the first encounter with Ray , and the second encounter even more risky). He does that only to make himself look superior and that's the exact symptoms of a psychopath.

Back to episode 7, what is this belt and majordomme? Is L some kind of BATMAN  :D

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
  • *L-E Staff* *Translator/ tlc/ newb typesetter*
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 20, 2006, 01:59:53 pm »
At least now we know L can think of conducting an investigation in a more orthodox way.  :D

-Tsubasa
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432
22:03 Mamo-chan: :O
22:06 Tsubie-chan: kaawaii

Offline twik

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 20, 2006, 11:38:32 pm »
He tries to put himself in risky situations (just think how dangerous was the first encounter with Ray , and the second encounter even more risky).

Hah, just think.  What if she had been just a bit more suspicious and shown him a fake drivers license?

"I'm Kira"

"Shall I consider that your confession?"

"Hey, why aren't you walking off to die?"

Game over biatch.

Offline kayryn

• kl33my Hero
  • Life is just.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 25, 2006, 10:36:03 am »

Best scene ever: Watari dishing ice cream out to everyone

L is such a good boy for sharing <3
I never know what to put for these things....

Offline Draconis

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 27, 2006, 11:30:01 am »
The ice cream was a very odd but nice touch indeed.

I was most excited when Light was using the Death Note right in front of his Father and L without missing a step...very heart pounding
" No one really wants to die.."

Offline keepergirl

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 27, 2006, 10:16:39 pm »
The ice cream part was okay but that close-up of L's mouth as he's eating it was a little disturbing.

I really enjoyed the interactions between Ryuk and Light in this episode.  I felt that Ryuk got more time in the spotlight too, which was cool.  I also liked how Light was able to manipulate Ryuk's wants to get what he wanted- I thought that really showed who the more powerful one in the relationship is.

As for the TV in the bag trick: Shouldn't the pen/ pencil be hitting the top of the bag, thus resulting in a noticeable crease along the top?  I do think it was a clever idea, though.

Offline bobby6

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 28, 2006, 07:31:26 pm »
I feel the need to say that I'm really glad to see these well-thought out posts and people actually analyzing the situations that occur in the episodes, rather than just a bunch of "ZOMG Light sucks!!!111" posts.  And I'm actually surprised that there isn't as much hate for Light as I thought there would be at this point.  (Either that, or the Light-haters aren't speaking up.)

ZOMG Light sucks!!!111

Sorry, I couldn't resist  :P ;) :D
"<YaoiBoy> hi guys
<YaoiBoy> nice job getting DN out
<Blue_Mage> I think I might be addicted to the ending song...
<Blue_Mage> It's so pretty."
ROFL ;D