Author Topic: DEATH NOTE!!!! .:.Master Thread.:.  (Read 255862 times)

Offline keepergirl

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
Re: DEATH NOTE!!!! .:.Master Thread.:.
« Reply #285 on: November 28, 2006, 08:59:55 pm »
*keepergirl whacks bobby6 over the head with a paper fan
Those kinds of posts don't belong on this forum, missy!   ;)

I was kind of surprised you and Bel didn't speak up after I made that post.  I figured you two were probably the biggest Light-haters.
Oh, I also forgot to mention something in my last post.  Bel mentioned on IRC how she thought Light's sister's voice was annoying (or something to that effect), and I just want to say that I agree.  It's not bad when she's talking normally, but that extended "Gohan dayo!" was irritating.

Offline beloculus

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 30, 2006, 07:24:48 am »
*peeks in and makes a comment without actually having read like the past 5 pages of the thread*

It's not so much as I find it annoying, as I find it piercing. Like nails down a chalkboard. To make matters worse, there's something acoustically different about her voice, at least in the first few episodes. It's like they recorded her in a different studio than everyone else or something. Did anyone else notice this? Or am I just being overly picky because I listen to every line in every episode at least 4-5 times?

Offline bobby6

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 01, 2006, 03:44:47 am »
*keepergirl whacks bobby6 over the head with a paper fan
Those kinds of posts don't belong on this forum, missy!   ;)

I was kind of surprised you and Bel didn't speak up after I made that post.  I figured you two were probably the biggest Light-haters.

Well, I am one of those lucky people that the forums are hating on right now,  :P so I've only been able to access them twice in the past 2 weeks.  :'( That's why I didn't respond sooner ;)
"<YaoiBoy> hi guys
<YaoiBoy> nice job getting DN out
<Blue_Mage> I think I might be addicted to the ending song...
<Blue_Mage> It's so pretty."
ROFL ;D

Offline kayryn

• kl33my Hero
  • Life is just.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 01, 2006, 08:42:39 am »

As for the TV in the bag trick: Shouldn't the pen/ pencil be hitting the top of the bag, thus resulting in a noticeable crease along the top?  I do think it was a clever idea, though.

He used a piece of lead, or really tiny pencil. I'm not just making this up: he uses it later on in the series, too.
I never know what to put for these things....

Offline twik

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 01, 2006, 10:17:26 pm »

He used a piece of lead, or really tiny pencil. I'm not just making this up: he uses it later on in the series, too.

The TV in bag with mini-pencil was a clever idea, but throwing it away the way he did was an unnecessary risk.  An empty chip bag and one with a TV in it do not fall the same way.  When Light dumped his wastebasket, his mother could have noticed something amiss and being a good mother might have checked to make sure Light wasn't accidentally throwing away something important.  Taking it one step further, what if L had dressed up one of his minions as the garbage collector?  I think Light must have realized the risk on some level since he makes sure to watch the trash bags get compacted.  Factoring in the considerable cost, I'll be surprised if we see this method again anytime soon.

The question I've been working on lately is whether Ryuk wants Light to succeed.  The chances of the Death Note falling into the hands of someone more calculating (and thus entertaining for Ryuk) is remote, so should Light ever be captured it would mean the end of Ryuk's fun.  However, I can't shake the feeling that Ryuk only appears to be in Light's corner.  Like a NASCAR fan who's in it for the crashes, the reason Ryuk is hanging around and observing so closely may be to see an eventual defeat.  We saw previously when Naomi gave Light a false name, Ryuk did nothing to assist, though his amusement inadvertently provided a clue.  Was Ryuk really unable to say anything?  Even though he technically is not supposed to interfere, Ryuk later does in fact assist Light when he locates all the security cameras.  Superficially, this is so he can continue eating apples, but I believe the real reason for confirming that there is nowhere to hide from the cameras is to create a challenge for Light.  The key factor linking these two incidences is that Ryuk's actions (or inaction) make things harder for Light and force him to think of some devious solution to his situation.  I think Ryuk's role in the story is too passive to directly lead Light to ruin, but I wouldn't rule out Ryuk failing to help out at a key moment in the future if it meant being entertained.

Offline keepergirl

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 02, 2006, 09:06:49 am »
To make matters worse, there's something acoustically different about her voice, at least in the first few episodes. It's like they recorded her in a different studio than everyone else or something. Did anyone else notice this? Or am I just being overly picky because I listen to every line in every episode at least 4-5 times?
Well, because you mentioned that, I just went back and listened to her lines in episode 2.  While she's outside his door, the acoustics are definitely different, but I'm sure that was intentional.  When she is in his room, the acoustics do sound a bit different than they do for the other characters, but I think that might actually be due to her high-pitched voice.  Plus, it sort of sounds like she's got a bit of a nasal-ly tone to her voice, which would also make it sound odd in comparison with the rest of the cast.

Well, I am one of those lucky people that the forums are hating on right now,  :P so I've only been able to access them twice in the past 2 weeks.  :'( That's why I didn't respond sooner ;)
Hmm, did you happen to catch Yaoi's post on IRC about setting the IP for the site in your hosts file?  If not, let me know on IRC and I can help you do that, which should enable you to get on the site and forums more often.

I actually thought he might be using a smaller pencil.  Yay for Light being smart while risking his hide!

Hmm, regarding the Ryuk thing,  I really think Ryuk just wants to be entertained and the challenges to Light are entertaining for him.  I also do believe that he's not supposed to interfere, or at least he's supposed to try not to interfere.  I don't think he's rooting for Light's failure, at least not at this point.  To me, it's more like he's at a hockey game to watch the fights; he's impartial as to who comes out the victor so long as it's a good, competitive fight.

On a completely unrelated note: Yay!  I can smite or applaud people now!

Offline twik

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 03, 2006, 11:06:47 pm »
Nice touch on the subs for L's speech.

After watching the last episode I have a new question.  Is it ok for L to hide behind the name of a famous person?  If L's goal is to use an obviously false name to show that he knows of Kira's limitation, he could have accomplished the same thing by using a famous name from fictional literature.  Using a fake name is a prudent precaution given what L suspects about Kira, however, using the name of a real person whose face is well known puts that person at risk.  L might assume that Kira would go through the thought process Light does, which is that he cannot use this name to kill on the off chance he pictures the real Ryuga Hideki, but there remains a real possibility that Kira wouldn't care about that and just kill him anyway.  Perhaps L must use the name of a real person in order to confer that extra level of protection, but if that is so, surely there must be some Japanese equivalent of Kevin Federline that could be used instead in this situation.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 03:55:11 am by twik »

Offline hostghost

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 03, 2006, 11:12:40 pm »
I thought the same thing, would be great to see that blond ass just fall over and die though :P

No seriously, it actually proves that L's actions have faults as well. up until now it's always Light that barley saves the day, but I hope we will see some more of L's weak spots. :D
"Hoping my two cents might be worth a dime"

Offline Draconis

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 04, 2006, 03:53:22 pm »
While I greatly enjoy diving into the deepest recesses of our minds to contemplate the inner workings of such a well written show at times an old and outdated saying comes to mind " take time to stop and smell the roses"...even though I'm not fond of roses myself and prefer carnations, I believe my point is clear.

While it is amazing we can discuss the details of life and death through something inanimate I like to just sit back and take it for what it is without trying to analyze all the time...I would think not everyone interprets the show all the time and just enjoys watching it at some point.
I like to get lost in the show and think about it later...

P.S.  Light is still the best character on the show...
" No one really wants to die.."

Offline Yumkie

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 04, 2006, 04:27:14 pm »
Does anyone know why episode 8 and 9 both do not have any seeders? I want to see them really badly!   :'(  I currently have all of the books published and out in stores ^_^  Sad sad ending ...  But if you possibly can, please please please get some seeders?  ;)

Offline hostghost

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 04, 2006, 05:33:30 pm »
Does anyone know why episode 8 and 9 both do not have any seeders? I want to see them really badly!   :'(  I currently have all of the books published and out in stores ^_^  Sad sad ending ...  But if you possibly can, please please please get some seeders?  ;)

ehhhh...
Even though scarywater won't list the seeders they are there!
I list over 1200 seeders in DN09.
And this thread is NOT the place to ask these things, they should be handled in the Leeching forum.

In response to Draconis:
I have no problem watching the show like normal, and then analyze after. I concentrate when watching to get every aspect, pick up moods and shiftings etc. then I usually only think it through while writing a reply here....
"Hoping my two cents might be worth a dime"

Offline suzaku_nomiko

• Rakuen Hero
  • いとおしい人のために
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 04, 2006, 05:58:33 pm »

Have you tried to connect to them anyway?

If you do you will find that they do indeed work.

Scarrywater has been broken for a long time now and fails to report the status of the torrents. but it still works.

-resident Cat Girl of Live-eviL
Timer, encoder,Noob-Typesetter ,GM, Keeper of the claws of death by Kawaii!
Yasashii yoru ni hitori utau uta. Asu wa kimi to utaou. Yume no tsubasa ni notte.

Offline lindewell

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 05, 2006, 12:49:54 am »
Can someone tell me what happened to Ryuk's voice? It is the same dubber for sure but he changed the way he speaks. Anybody noticed it too?

Offline keepergirl

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 05, 2006, 04:25:00 am »
After watching the last episode I have a new question.  Is it ok for L to hide behind the name of a famous person?  If L's goal is to use an obviously false name to show that he knows of Kira's limitation, he could have accomplished the same thing by using a famous name from fictional literature.  Using a fake name is a prudent precaution given what L suspects about Kira, however, using the name of a real person whose face is well known puts that person at risk.  L might assume that Kira would go through the thought process Light does, which is that he cannot use this name to kill on the off chance he pictures the real Ryuga Hideki, but there remains a real possibility that Kira wouldn't care about that and just kill him anyway.  Perhaps L must use the name of a real person in order to confer that extra level of protection, but if that is so, surely there must be some Japanese equivalent of Kevin Federline that could be used instead in this situation.
My thoughts about this were that possibly L intends on making contact with the people from the two families he most suspects.  If he were to do this, he could give each individual a different false name.  If only Light believes that this person's name is Ryuga Hideki, and he tries to kill him but ends up killing the real Ryuga Hideki, that would show L immediately that Light is Kira.  Of course, if that were the case, he would be playing with and showing disregard for other people's lives, which shows that L isn't always the most moral person either.

Can someone tell me what happened to Ryuk's voice? It is the same dubber for sure but he changed the way he speaks. Anybody noticed it too?
Someone was mentioning this on IRC, although he thought it was a different person dubbing Ryuk.  I personally noticed a slight difference, but didn't pay much attention to it.  Also, through the beginning of the episode, I basically attributed it to Ryuk's withdrawal.

Offline Cougar

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 05, 2006, 04:48:58 am »
The TV in bag with mini-pencil was a clever idea, but throwing it away the way he did was an unnecessary risk.  An empty chip bag and one with a TV in it do not fall the same way.  When Light dumped his wastebasket, his mother could have noticed something amiss and being a good mother might have checked to make sure Light wasn't accidentally throwing away something important.  Taking it one step further, what if L had dressed up one of his minions as the garbage collector?  I think Light must have realized the risk on some level since he makes sure to watch the trash bags get compacted.  Factoring in the considerable cost, I'll be surprised if we see this method again anytime soon.

The question I've been working on lately is whether Ryuk wants Light to succeed.  The chances of the Death Note falling into the hands of someone more calculating (and thus entertaining for Ryuk) is remote, so should Light ever be captured it would mean the end of Ryuk's fun.  However, I can't shake the feeling that Ryuk only appears to be in Light's corner.  Like a NASCAR fan who's in it for the crashes, the reason Ryuk is hanging around and observing so closely may be to see an eventual defeat.  We saw previously when Naomi gave Light a false name, Ryuk did nothing to assist, though his amusement inadvertently provided a clue.  Was Ryuk really unable to say anything?  Even though he technically is not supposed to interfere, Ryuk later does in fact assist Light when he locates all the security cameras.  Superficially, this is so he can continue eating apples, but I believe the real reason for confirming that there is nowhere to hide from the cameras is to create a challenge for Light.  The key factor linking these two incidences is that Ryuk's actions (or inaction) make things harder for Light and force him to think of some devious solution to his situation.  I think Ryuk's role in the story is too passive to directly lead Light to ruin, but I wouldn't rule out Ryuk failing to help out at a key moment in the future if it meant being entertained.

I agree with this point and I think this is important. Ryuk didn't exactly ASSIST Light, but he did do enough to provide an answer. Why didn't Ryuk say anything to Light if nobody else can see him? Ryuk assisted Light with the security cameras, but why didn't he provide a clear answer to the Naomi incident?

With all said and done, I think Ryuk is just toying with Light. The main reason I believe Ryuk is with Light is to persuade him into giving him half of his life span, in exchange for a pair of eyes of a death god. I think Ryuk knows that if Light does this deal, it will come back to haunt him in the future. What happens if Light makes the eye deal and all of the pages of the death note are finished? What use do the eyes have then? It's going to be good to watch the later episodes and find out what Ryuk's true motive is.

Oh, I just joined and I didn't get to mention anything earlier in this thread haha. I just want to say that Light is my favourite character in the series. I just like how he is confident and intelligent.

Finally, can anybody update me on the whole Viz situation? It appears that they are definately going to license Death Note since they have licensed the manga. Does anybody know when they are going to license it. I am just afraid because once it's licensed, Live-Evil will stop fan-subbing it and we are going to hear messed up voices in the translated version.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 04:51:51 am by Cougar »