Author Topic: DEATH NOTE!!!! .:.Master Thread.:.  (Read 255652 times)

Offline twik

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
Re: DEATH NOTE!!!! .:.Master Thread.:.
« Reply #315 on: December 08, 2006, 09:18:51 am »
One quick little tidbit of information for ya: There actually WAS no apple mentioned in the bible during the fall of Adam and Eve. It only says "fruit" when referring to the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and so it could have been any fruit, rather than an apple.

Indeed.  That is why I made no such reference to the Bible.   ;D

Offline hostghost

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 08, 2006, 08:49:10 pm »
I was just sitting here thinking about the apples. But I want to do some more research before I can cough up a theory.

Anyway, L-E made yet another great sub ;D
"Hoping my two cents might be worth a dime"

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
  • *L-E Staff* *Translator/ tlc/ newb typesetter*
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 08, 2006, 08:54:31 pm »
* Tsubasa hopes to get back to this thread soon.  :'(

-Tsubasa
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432
22:03 Mamo-chan: :O
22:06 Tsubie-chan: kaawaii

Offline keepergirl

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 08, 2006, 10:34:53 pm »
It took me a while to do the conversion since I'm a stupid American, but I think Detroit, Michigan (where I'm from) is the winner so far at negative 7°C.
In NY this morning it was -8°C (18°F).  (Of course, this was the city-ish/ Long Island areas.  I'm sure it was much colder upstate.)

In response to Cougar's question: I basically agree with everything twik said about it (both in the apple representing the downfall of man and the apple-eating thing being a fun trait given to Ryuk). 

As for episode 10, I haven't really sat down and watched the final version of it yet, but I really enjoyed the interactions between Light and L.  The mindgames with each other were fascinating, although I found fault with some of L's reasoning.  However, since Tsubie came back into this thread and she hasn't seen past episode 7, I don't want to spoil anything for her, so I'm holding back on specifics.  Tsubie, hurry and watch the last three episodes- they're good.  ;)

Offline bobby6

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 09, 2006, 03:53:34 am »
btw, in that signature bobby, Blue was talking about the ED to.....errr....Asatte I think. ;) ;D

-Tsubasa

I realize he was not intending to talk about Death Note, actually, he was talking about Snow Queen. But I quoted it because it sounds funny since he had some rather unfortunate timing  ;).
"<YaoiBoy> hi guys
<YaoiBoy> nice job getting DN out
<Blue_Mage> I think I might be addicted to the ending song...
<Blue_Mage> It's so pretty."
ROFL ;D

Offline bobby6

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 09, 2006, 04:00:32 am »
In NY this morning it was -8°C (18°F).  (Of course, this was the city-ish/ Long Island areas.  I'm sure it was much colder upstate.)

In response to Cougar's question: I basically agree with everything twik said about it (both in the apple representing the downfall of man and the apple-eating thing being a fun trait given to Ryuk). 

As for episode 10, I haven't really sat down and watched the final version of it yet, but I really enjoyed the interactions between Light and L.  The mindgames with each other were fascinating, although I found fault with some of L's reasoning.  However, since Tsubie came back into this thread and she hasn't seen past episode 7, I don't want to spoil anything for her, so I'm holding back on specifics.  Tsubie, hurry and watch the last three episodes- they're good.  ;)

I beat eveyone! This morning here, it was whopping 8 degrees Fahrenheit. Which is -13.3 degress Celsius  :o  ;)
"<YaoiBoy> hi guys
<YaoiBoy> nice job getting DN out
<Blue_Mage> I think I might be addicted to the ending song...
<Blue_Mage> It's so pretty."
ROFL ;D

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
  • *L-E Staff* *Translator/ tlc/ newb typesetter*
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 10, 2006, 11:02:04 am »

Awww, you're so nice as usual. But my monitor  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(, it's failing badly. I can't watch anime, let alone fansub till I have the issue resolved.

* Tsubasa cries loud.

-Tsubasa

P.S. It's really cold here too, despite being above 20C. Basically we don't have heaters/radiators here so it's a problem.
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432
22:03 Mamo-chan: :O
22:06 Tsubie-chan: kaawaii

Offline kayryn

• kl33my Hero
  • Life is just.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 10, 2006, 04:52:07 pm »
/I wish we had no radiators....:( mine's broken, so it's soso hot in my room, despite it being winter
I ahve to keep a window open ¬¬
I never know what to put for these things....

Offline xjapan

• n00b Hero
  • hide of X ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 11, 2006, 10:52:04 pm »
yo dudes. firstly a big thanks to L-E for subbing Death-Note.
Its hawt.

( I,m gonna rant and give my opinions now. its gonna be long so if you dont wanna waste your time i suggest you skip this post after reading those 2 sentences on top )

Frankly. in my opinion. Light's killing isnt justified in anyway. I prefer Light to "L" in the anime. but if this were to happen in RL (real-life) a definite nono. After all we,re all taught not to kill. ( at least those of us who are normal. ) furthermore. it isnt right to kill criminals and felons? i mean no matter who it is they deserve a 2nd chance or perhaps even a 3rd and a 4th etc. Its just not right. But heck its what the anime is about and i love it.

Besides. if shinigamis existed whos to know what else exists. Also this opens the possibility of "L" having supernaternal aid / abilities himself. The realm of DN is pretty similar to ours therefore its not normal for a detective to deduce a murderer of having supernatural abilities in which only a name and a face is needed to kill.

Another thing is. I cant help but think that Ryuu is hiding something. i mean yea he's having fun. From the shots we,ve had of Shinigami world. its pretty darn boring there. But firstly, is it normal (abides the rules) for a shinigami to carry 2 death notes? We all know that if he gets bored of Light, he could simply write Light's name in his other Note. I wont be suprised if we see something omoshiro (interesting) like that.

Well, after that,will "L" push Light to the point where he decides to make the deal with Ryuk ( the Shinigami eyes deal ). Because i doubt "L" knows about such an ability of Light's and seeing how theyre " buddies " in school. Light could kill "L" anytime.
Personally, I feel that "L" will almost never leak his real name to Light. After all,like Light himself said. It wouldnt be that simple as writing "L's" name in the Note.

Also,if Light ever gets found out. All he needs to do is burn the Death Note and the evidence is gone. ( Although there might be consequences to the user if he / she burns a shinigami's death note ). Thats another point to ponder over.

Gosh this anime keeps me thinking.
Lastly i,ve got a feeling. I havent read the manga so i,m currently stuck at episode 10 but in the end , I wouldnt be surprised if the last name that Light wrote on the Death Note was "Yagami Light"

Thanks if ya read all of my crap
Thanks again to Live-Evil for subbing this.
Pity Nana and Tsubasa were dropped. i especially enjoyed Nana 
For those who dont know. Look at the pig cam i like that pig. i like the black one too  :-X

zzz i feel sry for them Editors(thanks to keepergirl for setting me straight on this one). Its irritating to keep editing the post due to grammer , mostly punctuation errors. Also put paragraphs for easier reading. I usually cant be bothered bout those but i know its a pain to read jumbled up stuffs =)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 04:55:26 am by xjapan »
Blow your mind ~

<3 my babies Robin & Leena

Offline kayryn

• kl33my Hero
  • Life is just.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 12, 2006, 01:17:15 am »
Firstly, I hafta give you an applaud merely for your name and dedication to hide <3

Secondly, you made some very interesting points!

i mean no matter who it is they deserve a 2nd chance or perhaps even a 3rd and a 4th etc. Its just not right. But heck its what the anime is about and i love it.

Speaking from experience, there is a point where, when given another chance, then another, and another, it becomes obvious that you're being taken for granted, and it's jsut foolish to give so many chances. The saying goes "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me"

Some people you just cannot change, though i understand where you're coming from. I think it's best to say, rather than saying that you would give them another chance, the death penalty should be altogether removed, so payment for previous behaviour can be given, whereas,  with death upon conviction, it doesn't leave a chance for any being who has been placed with such a charge, to redeem himself, or to be found innocent, when he was proven guilty. It's an entirely split argument, that appears to have no right, nor wrong answer logically, seeing as we have ideas such as "treat others how you would like to be treated" and "an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth", but morally, counterbalances, in our human nature, step in and explain that "if it was an eye for a eye, we'd all be blind" and such. (gosh, I'm waffling again...¬¬  think I'm actually going to have to write an essay for this at some point)

Besides. if shinigamis existed whos to know what else exists. Also this opens the possibility of "L" having supernaternal aid / abilities himself. The realm of DN is pretty similar to ours therefore its not normal for a detective to deduce a murderer of having supernatural abilities in which only a name and a face is needed to kill.

I think, when it all comes down to it, there is an ability to think outside of the realms of possibility that we know we are confined to, when there is no other possible explanation. There is no humaly possible way to kill as many people as Light does, overseas, at the same time as other, with a heart attack, something which, while not untriggerable, is hard to cause in perfectly healthy beings.

There has been some discussion of whether L has a mental disorder, specifically Asperger's syndrome, so it may be that that helps him to deduce the supernatural part of the killings.

And now, I'm going to go back to my coursework before I annoy people...
I never know what to put for these things....

Offline hostghost

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 12, 2006, 01:42:40 am »
There has been some discussion of whether L has a mental disorder, specifically Asperger's syndrome, so it may be that that helps him to deduce the supernatural part of the killings.

Which points to yet another strange fact. That Light infact is the one with most human traits. One could ask the same question to many legal institutions, maybe it really is necessary for a judging instance to be un-human to perform its tasks.

Offline keepergirl

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 12, 2006, 02:16:49 am »
furthermore. it isnt right to kill criminals and felons? i mean no matter who it is they deserve a 2nd chance or perhaps even a 3rd and a 4th etc.
I very strongly disagree with that statement.  I do not believe child killers deserve even a second chance.  Nor do rapists, child molesters, and murderers.  How many innocent victims must there be before we learn that some people will NEVER be able to control themselves in a civilized society?  Seriously, we're not talking about speeding tickets here.  I work with children for a living, and they are innocent, trusting, and beautiful.  I simply cannot forgive someone who destroys a child's life, whether it be through murder or molestation.  In addition to this, crimes like child molestation are perpetuating.  A number of criminals performing these acts were victims themselves as children.  The cycle needs to stop somewhere.  (As for rape, some people don't truly understand the horrors of that crime.  I, and many like-minded people, would rather be murdered than raped.  Rape is torture of the worst kind, as you are forced to continue your existence with the constant reminder of what you've been through.  I feel rape is a crime worthy of the death penalty along with murder.)

But firstly, is it normal (abides the rules) for a shinigami to carry 2 death notes?
I believe something is said in the first episode about this by one of the other death gods.  If I remember correctly, he implies that Ryuk is not supposed to have a second Death Note.  Maybe I ought to look back through that episode...

Well, after that,will "L" push Light to the point where he decides to make the deal with Ryuk ( the Shinigami eyes deal ).
Someone unintentionally leaked spoilers to me on another forum, so I know the answer to this.  For obvious reasons, I will refrain from posting it here.

zzz i feel sry for them Typesetters. Its irritating to keep editing the post due to grammer , mostly punctuation errors. Also put paragraphs for easier reading. I usually cant be bothered bout those but i know its a pain to read jumbled up stuffs =)
Are you referring to editing your own post?  Editors are the ones who edit the scripts and stuff (obviously, there are editors for print materials as well).  Typesetters style the episode.  They're responsible for the dialogue font, the signs in the episode, and that sort of stuff.  If you'd like to see what each person is responsible for, have a look at the newly-created Live-Evil FAQ.

Offline twik

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 12, 2006, 05:59:07 am »
it isnt right to kill criminals and felons? i mean no matter who it is they deserve a 2nd chance or perhaps even a 3rd and a 4th etc. Its just not right. But heck its what the anime is about and i love it.

I very strongly disagree with that statement.  I do not believe child killers deserve even a second chance.  Nor do rapists, child molesters, and murderers.  How many innocent victims must there be before we learn that some people will NEVER be able to control themselves in a civilized society? 

I agree with keepergirl.  It simply is not prudent to give certain criminals a second chance.  However, there are some who do deserve another shot, or at the very least do not deserve to be executed for their crimes.  The ones Light killed while watching the TV in the chip bag come to mind.  Their crimes were relatively light, so had they not been killed by Light to give the appearance that he is not Kira, they certainly would not have been executed by the Japanese authorities.  As far as I'm concerned, the only criminals Light is even marginally justified in killing are those already on death row.  Keepergirl may want to lump in rapists here, and I certainly wouldn't shed a tear for one of them, but practically speaking one must follow the law as written.  (Though I would not argue if someone said that certain laws should be rewritten.)

Something xjapan touched upon though, is that even though we know Light's actions to be wrong, there is a certain gratification in watching him, at least at the beginning.  How many times have you seen an individual in public perpetrate some minor atrocity and think to yourself, "wouldn't society be better off without them?"  I know personally this thought crosses my mind on numerous occasions when I'm cut off during my daily commute (or perhaps when someone gives away a spoiler? ;) ).  If, like Light, you were given the power and the opportunity to create your own morality, would you not be tempted to go down the same path?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 06:26:07 am by twik »

Offline hostghost

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 12, 2006, 09:08:57 am »
I agree with xjapan, killing is never justified and I voted accordingly in the poll.

Here in Norway we have a maximum sentence for 21 years, this works quite allright for now. Since we don't have serial killers or mass rapists etc. The crime repetition rate for murderers here are almost 0. One of the biggest problems here are the organized crime and I know we might need to change our legal system to be able to get rid of this problem, they are still able to participate in planning and ordering of legal activities when they are in jail.

I know that crime is diffrent around the world, and when you actually have repetative criminals there is no problem to lock them up for good. I can't see why you would have to kill them. How many innocent people do you think the american legal system  have murdered?
It is so tragic when you read that they find evidence that contradicts a verdict and the person was killed just a few days ago....

Death penalty is contradicting the human rights, and when you take the boy away from he's mother and kills him. Becouse he pulled a trigger? Should one really be able to ruin ones life with such a small decission. Guns are widely available in the US and danger lurks almost every corner, atleast for the less fortunate ones. Should we condemn them for infinity for just a fraction of a second decission?

I say no, and you should too, or I'll come and kill you  :P

Offline Draconis

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 12, 2006, 09:11:03 am »
If, like Light, you were given the power and the opportunity to create your own morality, would you not be tempted to go down the same path?

Isn't this why everyone can divulge into the depths of the human mind and try to understand the morality and humanity in his path to creating " his own world"?

We are always tempted by the unknown.
From one of my favorite movies: " Look but don't touch, touch but don't taste. Taste but don't swallow."
Going on a little stretch the grass is always greener right?
We sometimes want things we can't or don't have because we think they are better in some way.

I could even pose the old theory...if time travel existed would go back in time and have Hitler executed?... Then what would the future be? who could possible predict that future and be accurate?
Changing one event would supposedly create an endless ripple through time.

We are all humans and we all have our own sense of right and wrong...freewill( provided your not in a country that stifles  it) is what creates and destroys our world. The world will never follow 1 God and won't ever follow the same rules about society.

If you ask me, yes, a crime should be punished with an equal sentence.
So if you steal, something if stolen from you. If you rape ...yeah bubba is coming to visit...and if you kill then you will be killed. But what does this teach? It doesn't show the criminal that what they are doing is wrong b/c it's okay to do it back to them.
America's system of law enforcement is flawed as I'm sure other countries are as well, but what person or group can truly justify changing  or making them?
If we did have one God who would come down the mountain and lay down the law then we couldn't really debate about what is right or wrong.

To me the " the 1 true God" seems to be the greener grass but if it was to ever happen...wouldn't I want something else then?

that's enough of my novel for the moment ( maybe some of us should get together and come up with a #1 best seller about the humanity of life...)

Since this is the deathnote thread I should probablly mentioned that at least once...that tennis match was awesome..makes me wanna start playing!

the cliffhanger ending has to be my favorite so far

well that's my 50 cents worth
" No one really wants to die.."