Author Topic: When was your first IRC experience?  (Read 18711 times)

Offline mamochan

• Rakuen Hero
  • Ayukawa!
    • View Profile
When was your first IRC experience?
« on: November 13, 2006, 05:14:00 am »
Mine was back in the summer of 1995 when I had IBM as my ISP and it took over an hour to download a generic irc client (can't remember which one).
I joined weird teen chatrooms, because i was 17 at that time >_>;

It wasn't until 1996 I found decent anime chat rooms such as #anime (dalnet & efnet). I used those chatrooms to locate VHS Fansubs o.o

So there you have it, my first irc experience.
Other than that, I've used a chatroom BBS back in 1990 via 1200 Baud Modem through MS DOS 3.2

Anyone else have better stories than mine? :)
DVD Backlog: Galaxy Angel (all of them), GITS: SAC, Juuni Kokki, Last Exile, Master Keaton, Rurouni Kenshin TV, Saber Marionette J, Saber Marionette J Again, Saber Marionette J to X, Slayers (The), Slayers Next, Slayers Try.

Offline bobby6

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
Re: When was your first IRC experience?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 05:18:18 am »
mine was the day I joined Live-eviL. Which was like.... June I think? Not so friendly to newbies lol. ;)
"<YaoiBoy> hi guys
<YaoiBoy> nice job getting DN out
<Blue_Mage> I think I might be addicted to the ending song...
<Blue_Mage> It's so pretty."
ROFL ;D

Offline Blue Mage

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 05:19:46 am »
I was 18 when I discovered IRC to join the channel that a bunch of the ED (extended discussion) elitists from Gaia had.
My mind is like a sieve. It retains all sorts of interesting bits and lets the important stuff flow straight through.

Offline bastard-sama

• Live Evil Members
  • Rakuen Hero
  • in the middle of nowhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 05:22:12 am »
my first expierence on irc was around 1996-97 with win95 and trumpet winsock (win95 didnt have tcp/ip stack built into it like it does now so you had to use another program :D) and then i came on irc in undernet i forget what the channel name... stayed there went on hiatus from irc for a few years then found some anime channels around 2000ish
The resident bastard.

Offline suzaku_nomiko

• Rakuen Hero
  • いとおしい人のために
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 05:37:44 am »
Ha ha ha!
Mine was way in,, 1996 some one connected to a Ranma web-page pointed to a Anime community on Dalnet So I picked the first nick that came to my mind :P

Suzaku.   It was taken 

So I adjusted.  and thus I became Suzaku_no-miko of Dalnet #anime and have been ever since :P

And like mamochan, I also used to use BBSes back in the old days.
we used one to swap our Jacosub and ssa files long ago.

Gone are the days of Fidonet And Mustang BBS!
-resident Cat Girl of Live-eviL
Timer, encoder,Noob-Typesetter ,GM, Keeper of the claws of death by Kawaii!
Yasashii yoru ni hitori utau uta. Asu wa kimi to utaou. Yume no tsubasa ni notte.

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
  • *L-E Staff* *Translator/ tlc/ newb typesetter*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 05:54:16 am »
Hmmm suz explained how to me where to get mIRC and how to join a channel after installing mIRC in the infamous Tsubasa thread that got locked later.

I was like, 'Hmmm, let's give it a shot'.
The reason why I hadn't taken any action earlier was because people were always talking about banning and kicking for stupid questions in forums.

But I did what I read and there I was in #live-evil.

Guess who welcomed me first?

Masakari!!!!!!  :o

Then I saw he set me some +v and started wondering about what these modes meant.

As a result of my curiosity and obvious display of nOObism, I also got banned by Bastard one when I asked him what +b meant.

Four days after lurking in that channel, I became staff and @.  ;D

-Tsubasa
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432
22:03 Mamo-chan: :O
22:06 Tsubie-chan: kaawaii

Offline keepergirl

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 06:05:04 am »
Hmm, I first used IRC around two years ago when I was really into Gundam SEED.  I had joined a SEED message board and the people who ran the board also had an IRC chan on Rizon.  Didn't use it for downloading or anything though, just for chatting.

Offline DeadAlready911

• kl33my Hero
  • Very Dead, Very Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 08:29:56 am »
Back in 2000 I use to use the p2p program ScourMX which was the greatest program ever.  They had a channel on scour called Anime where everybody would trade list and anime.  When Scour shut down alot of the people from Channel Anime all moved to dal.net and started the channel BakaMX and the rest is history

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
  • *L-E Staff* *Translator/ tlc/ newb typesetter*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 08:59:25 am »
Hmmm, what does MX mean? Mas?

-Tsubasa
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432
22:03 Mamo-chan: :O
22:06 Tsubie-chan: kaawaii

Offline Larry

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 07:23:51 pm »
Started to use it as an communication method between people in our airsoft organization. Then next step was L-E.
If you want to criticize someone you should first take a ten mile walk in their shoes, because when you then criticize them you are at a safe distance from them and you also have their shoes.

Offline Michael

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 07:51:14 pm »
Mine was about a year ago when I started getting into fansubbed anime...  I wanted to downloaded Shakugan no Shana and Fate/stay night episodes however since I hadn't yet figured out how to bypass all of my University's anti-BT measures I was told to use XDCC bots on IRC instead.

Offline retrograde inversion

• Slapper of Wings
  • n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 07:09:37 am »
I started out IRCing in various channels on EFnet around 1999.  Not anime-related though.  It was this sexy page (or a previous incarnation of it... heh) that first drew me to IRC.  I remember reading a lot of docs on how to use IRC.  Some of them concerned IRCing on UNIX with old clients like ircII or EPIC.  So I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I first got on. :p  (It took me a while to realize the phenomenon known as idling on IRC.  When I got on nobody was talking.  I was like, What the hell?  Is this thing even working??? ...It didn't help either that EFnet had frequent netsplits...though it's much better now.)  Early on, I mostly focused on calculator and math channels.  I still idle on EFnet but don't really participate over there as much as I used to.

As far as anime and fansubs and stuff are concerned, I started hanging out in E-F's channel around January 2002, right after I got broadband Internet. I roamed around, idling in various channels and setting up an fserve.  I also hanged out in A-E and for a short time A-Keep and other channels that were on ETG at the time.  (I remember A-E distro back in 2002.  A bustling place that was... while it lasted. :p)  A friend told me about HnK as well.  :3

I didn't really start idling in L-E until October 2003.  It was around that time that I started helping out with Usenet posts here and there (this was when mikala was still actively posting).  I now do most of the posting of L-E's new releases to Usenet.  And... I've been around pretty much ever since.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 07:12:05 am by retrograde inversion »

Offline PlasticYakuza

• Condor Hero
  • Drunken Bishie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 11:23:30 pm »
The first time I used irc was back in 2000 and I didn't understand how to make it work at all. My mass amount of laziness prevented me from using it more than 5 minutes at a time. "I have to type everything? pffft". It was mostly just to join gaming channels. guild channels from The Realm, Diablo 1/2, and later RO and the private servers.  Don't really do any online gaming anymore, but for some reason I am still here...
libido bending hot signals sending

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 04:11:57 am »
In efnet 1999 and 2000 I was a member (in principle only) of a rather active digisub group.  That's the first time I bothered with IRC.  I knew people in college who got addicted to IRC and MUDs and ended up dropping out b'cos of it.  So I was naturally very adverse to it. 

Offline kwfine

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 10:35:14 pm »
Oh, I see!
But do you think it is safe to talk to someone through IRC?

The system listed me all my network detail including my IP and my ISP when I right clicked to check 'who is kwfine'.

Oh, my goodness! That scared me a lot!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 08:07:11 pm by kwfine »