Author Topic: Tsubasa Chronicle 2nd Season MASTER THREAD  (Read 257674 times)

Offline Eolo

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Tsubasa Chronicle 2nd Season MASTER THREAD
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2006, 02:07:27 am »
Well, I for one never actually needed L-E Fansubs to awaken the nostalgia feeling that old anime gives me. It's always been here.

And I won't even bother comparing a show like Tsubasa to Harlock of Galaxy Express, there's nothing to compare, they are different shows with different audiences, different themes, different moods, comparing them so that you could point out sentence by sentence how these shows are better seems to be an insane waste of time. I don't like Leiji Matsumoto, I never have and didn't have to wait for CLAMP or Tsubasa Chronicles to appear to reach that astounding conclusion, it's a matter of personal taste, being good or bad.

I understand your frustration, but like I mentioned before, if L-E didn't release Tsubasa, I would have watched the raws, just like I did with Utena back when it was being aired on japanese tv and I had to wait for VHS tapes. I appreciate the release and am grateful for it, but it's not my weekly fix.

I do however realize, that many of these "OMG! TSUBASA IS THE GREATEST THING EVER!" fans can be a little tiresome... remember though, that many are very young and everyone has to start somewhere.

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
  • Resident Sailor Moon Freak
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2006, 02:16:12 am »
Heres our past month's release history as per Envirosphere

2006-05-06   Tsubasa Chronicle Second Season 02   180545536   9C44DD75
2006-05-04   NANA 05   180338688   F0B82288
2006-04-29   Tsubasa Chronicle Second Season 01   180367360   9C44DD75
2006-04-27   NANA 04   180434944   9318767F
2006-04-22   Galaxy Express 999 09   179128320   76D030EF
2006-04-22   Sailor Moon Sailor Stars 167   237659721   C7E8B019
2006-04-22   NANA 03   180408320   2E7BF927
2006-04-21   Initial D Fourth Stage 24   183754752   E738367C
2006-04-16   Akazukin Cha Cha OVA 03   243448384   05D1A706
2006-04-15   NANA 02   179894272   DE8B743D
2006-04-10   Creamy Mami 44   154372386   B67D91C9
2006-04-08   NANA 01   179855360   20C38299

Total NANA/Tsubas Releases - 7
Total of all other projects - 5

Notice a pattern here?. Notice how the weighting in certain projects favour ?

When things become a little more balanced and when our Envirosphere release history is not completely dominated by Tsubasa and Nana thats when I'll be quiet ;D

-gumbaloom
[16:35]  <Scaevolus> hey leechers have to expend lots of effort, it takes almost a dozen keystrokes to leech stuff
[16:37]  <Mamo-chan> go stroke goomb's ego plz
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> fansubbing is not about leecher ego stroking
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> it's about how much we jizz when w

Offline Eolo

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2006, 02:18:36 am »
Again, I sympathize, but if I were a moronic fan, I wouldn't care about whatever internal problems the fansub group has, specialy if it ends up catering to my personal taste.

I do hope you resolve it soon.

Offline Elros

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2006, 03:18:12 am »
hey everyone, i had no idea little evil existed before tsubasa, but i enjoy all the other anime they fansub, blood+ is one of them... i got alarmed too when i cheked for the episode last sunday and it wasn't there... i tought "well, maybe there's a problem with the sub... monday came and yet the episode is not there, at that moment i panic "h0ly sht! it has been licenced!" but i came to the forums and i got my answer thanks to mr. tofu.

i'm asking to everyone... please stay calm, if the series is still reachable don't snap... just wait for tofu to finish and watch another anime... there are some good options here at L-E they really are a great fansub group...

thx... (man.. that's some l0ng-ass first post there...XD)

Offline archangel

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2006, 03:27:01 am »
Hiya,
I don't usually register for anime forums but I do read them.  It's usually where I pick up on other interesting anime.  I was a bit dismayed that no one had truly answer gumbaloom and I thought, huh, I might provide an answer. It's not going to be very sophisticated but here goes.

Firstly, it's probably a matter of taste.  I've watched the first 30 episodes of Yawara and never got into it.  The whole sumo thing was a bit too much maybe.  Also, I watched them at animefests and I admit that the crowd of 12 year old boys oohing and ahhing at this particular series may have helped to turn me off it.  While there was good character development, to be honest, the plot never caught my imagination.

As for Galaxy express 999, it's ok.  I've watched a few and I would say, for me, it's about on par with Tsubasa.  I never really got into Captain Harlock; oddly I found that particulary series very boring.  The spaceship thing just doesn't work for me all the time. (Cowboy Bebop I think it one of the few exceptions.)  Now the series on Esmeralda was good which made me try Captain Harlock again but once again, I couldn't get into it.

I will admit, I didn't get into Tsubasa until the third episode and I don't think Tsubasa is the best out there. If you asked me to choose between Tsubasa and Nana, I would say Nana because the characters have a bit more dimension to them.  However, I am fond of both though neither is my favourite right now.

Did that answer you question?  Although, admittedly, I may not be a hardcore fan so perhaps my answer is not good enough. Still looking forward to the next episode of Tsubasa and thanks for subbing it.

P. S.  I love CLAMP, always have, but I can't say I'm up on the trends in anime.
P. S. S.  real question: do you think knowing the manga before the anime changes your opinion of the anime?  I see them as two different art forms but it has been implied in this thread that the animes simply do not meet the manga standards.  

Sorry for the long post. :-\

Offline archangel

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2006, 04:05:44 am »
errata: sorry I meant judo not sumo in post above about Yawara.  Was watching a thing on Sumo at time of writing and just caught the mistake.  Sorry Yawara fans.

Offline DIABLO_CHRoNO

• n00b Hero
  • SALUDOS FROM MEXICO!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2006, 05:08:00 am »
its not about my fix is better than yours here....

i've read the topic and i dont think anybody said galaxy express on captain harlock is bad.. or "I hate those who like galaxy express or creamy mami"

instead.. i do hear a lot of "Tsubasa-tard" and "i hate you clamp lover!"

chill out guys.. anime.. in general its great..
and has many, many branches, there's shounen anime, shoujo anime, hentai, psi-fi anime, pop anime and Gods knows how many more..

so... just the fact that you and me both like anime, it doesnt mean that we like the same anime... but we have to respect each other..

we are starting to sound like Star trek fans VS star wars fans..

and I want to be more focussed on anime, period, not in flaming other guys who dont like the same anime I like..

bottom line: you cant compare one anime to another.. they are different, after all, its just anime. ENJOY IT!!!!
PEACE
El poder nace cuando tus deseos son escuchados, ahi radica el poder

Offline Azalie

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2006, 08:04:28 am »
Well, ok gumbaloom, I completely understand your perspective when you put it that way. I'm sure that if we Tsubasa fans got 1 episode a year while some other anime like Yawara got subbed every week, some Tsubasa fans would come over and troll the Yawara forums. But still.. wouldn't you get kind of put off if the Tsubasa fans were coming over and saying, "Yawara is not worth it and isn't special at all, the fans are so annoying blah blah" Wouldn't you be kind of put off? I'm just saying.. not trying to start a war or anything, I just want to see some Tsubasa fan posts other than the ever so popular "WHEN IS IT GOING TO BE SUBBED!!11!!" posts, and angry posts about how they don't like Tsubasa.

The fans can't help what Tofu wants to put on priority, so no reason to flame the fans over it, right? ^^

Offline Xagest

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2006, 09:23:26 am »
There's just something... mesmerizing about Tsubasa Chronicle.  I don't know what it is.  I keep telling myself, "This is crap.  That's the lamest line I've ever heard.", but I keep watching it.

There's just something about the characters that make me smile.  The whole Syaoran/Ryuoh friendship, for instance, was enough to make my day feel good (I'll even go as far to say that I'm probably a bit jealous...).  In a lot of ways, I wish the storytelling was a bit better because the characters deserve it.

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2006, 09:42:04 am »
Well, ok gumbaloom, I completely understand your perspective when you put it that way. I'm sure that if we Tsubasa fans got 1 episode a year while some other anime like Yawara got subbed every week, some Tsubasa fans would come over and troll the Yawara forums. But still.. wouldn't you get kind of put off if the Tsubasa fans were coming over and saying, "Yawara is not worth it and isn't special at all, the fans are so annoying blah blah" Wouldn't you be kind of put off? I'm just saying.. not trying to start a war or anything, I just want to see some Tsubasa fan posts other than the ever so popular "WHEN IS IT GOING TO BE SUBBED!!11!!" posts, and angry posts about how they don't like Tsubasa.

The fans can't help what Tofu wants to put on priority, so no reason to flame the fans over it, right? ^^

Haha

My pet project is subbing Sailor Moon Musicals. You can't believe the amount of laughing and finger pointing that I get for doing that and being told "oh ma gaawd you suck".

I tried to find some fansubbers to work on a joint product and pretty much people just laughed in my face so I'm kinda impervious to trolling of that kinda. Also my release schedule for that stuff is kinda once ever 4 / 5 months as well so :x.

The 2 things which irk me the most from my experiences of the Tsubasa fandom are
1) Complacency - A lot of the Tsubasa fans are waaaaaaaaaay too complacent about how eps get subbed like clockwork each week. You really shouldn't be complacent as that can be a bad thing :x
2) Closed-mindedness - To quote a previous poster my experiences of the Tsubasa fandom are a good percentage of them are "OMFG Tsubasa is the best thing EVAR and everything else sucks". If I was completely closed minded I'd say Tsubasa SUCKS straight out of hand but I don't, I say it's just not all that great. I just wish that even 5% of the Tsubasa fandom would try out other shows. Like I said before the torrent statistics on our torrent page speak for themselves. Tsubasa eps average 50 - 60,000 eps, other shows 1 - 2,000 downloads. If even just a small fraction of those people tried out our other shows ( I'm not counting posters on this forum here ) it would be a good thing as they'd be discovering the joys of classic anime. I'll admit I'm a Sailor Moon freak heck my profile says so too and that's my pet project here but I've given other stuff a chance like when I first got assigned the job of typesetting Yawara, I'd never ever seen the show in my life but I just got on with the job and after a few episodes it grew on me and I began to like it more. Same goes for Detective Academy Q. I just randomly QC'd an ep of it to get it done faster and ended up buying the R2's.

The percentage of filler opposed to main story on Tsubasa has been way too high for my tastes but when they do actually cover the MAIN plotline it can actually be semi interesting. The production standards on the last world of Season 1(once it got going) were not bad at all leading up to the final moment where he escaped with the feather. Theres also been way too little plot development on learning more about the main enemy. If they'd focus more on the main plotline instead of filler it would hold my interest a lot more.

I do sincerely hope that Tsubasa doesnt lapse back in to filler for a good percentage of the season because of how they managed to cover a whole volumes worth of managa of Piffle in just 3 episodes because if that happens it would lead to an inordinate balance of Manga material vs. Anime filler. Not disregarding the fact that the Tsubasa manga isn't actually finished yet in Japan.

I'll admit even Sailor Stars in some parts aint that great. A good majority of the Sailor Moon anime is the whole "monster of the day" thing and it sucks royally but theres enough of the main plotline to keep you interested and once you get to ep 190 it's those last 10 eps which is why it earned the title of one of the best anime endings ever put to print.

My point being you could compare Tsubasa's "world of the week" type storylines to Sailor Moon's monster of the day plotlines.

I just hope for Tsubasa's sake that sooner or later it actually kicks in to high dear and focuses on main plotline for the later half of it's 72 ep run rather than "world of the week" mediocrity.

Don't get me wrong I know the "world of the week" stuff is needed but I just think the balance has been a little too much in favour of that than main plotline development.

Of the anime's of recent times that I've thought had absolutely superb plot development Fullmetal Alchemist is a perfect example. Scar was there for a good percentage of the story and he turns out to be a crucial part of the equation at the end and a lot of other intertwining story lines that all combine together and come together at the end and make you go OMFG!!!!. A lot of the later episodes of FMA were OMFG WTF I need the next ep NOW and especially when you learned things about the Elric's father and Dante.

My question is over and above -
a) Collect the feathers
b) They're being watched by evil forces who occassionaly interfere
c) They're cooking up an evil Dark Syaoran

What's the bigger picture. Where are the threads of the story being laid which will make you go "OMFG so THAT's why that happened" when they do the big reveal in a later ep. I've yet to see anything like that yet. It's that sort of plot development which distinguishes a great anime from a good anime.

-gumbaloom
[16:35]  <Scaevolus> hey leechers have to expend lots of effort, it takes almost a dozen keystrokes to leech stuff

Offline suzaku_nomiko

• Rakuen Hero
  • いとおしい人のために
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2006, 02:17:01 pm »
a) Collect the feathers
We of course are being teased. All these feathers scattered around in these worlds and each one of them having such a power tied to it that people would kill and betray to get.
This begs the question just what kind of power did Sakura have?

b) They're being watched by evil forces who occassionaly interfere
Yes who are the really.. and how many of them are there?
 ???
c) They're cooking up an evil Dark Syaoran
That is the BIG one.
Which Shaoran is the real one?

IS there a real one?

this IS CLAMP after all. just when you think you have it all worked out they love to pull the rug out from under you.

I have this Horrid feeling that the Shaoran in the tank (who oddly has an eye covered up) is an agent and placed in a dream state and sent in as an alternative personality to infiltrate Sakura’s world. And that is perhaps why he has no memory of his past
-resident Cat Girl of Live-eviL
Timer, encoder,Noob-Typesetter ,GM, Keeper of the claws of death by Kawaii!
Yasashii yoru ni hitori utau uta. Asu wa kimi to utaou. Yume no tsubasa ni notte.

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2006, 06:48:07 pm »
But that's my point all of that is obvious and clear to see. I've yet to see anything along the lines of the story telling power of Fullmetal Alchemist.

You pretty much find all that information out within a few episodes, but my question is when are they going to tell more. I would be a lot happier with Tsubasa as an anime if the pace at which these plot threads are being developed is hastened a little.

A 60 second clip ever episode or two isn't enough for me. Yes I've been spoiled by FMA so I want more :P.

-gumbaloom

Offline cnet128

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2006, 06:57:52 pm »
I've just registered for the sake of giving my input on this apparently somewhat controversial issue.

Let's clarify my position here: I'm a Tsubasa fan. I got introduced through the animé; I heard good things about the first series, downloaded it (from various subbers, actually; I'm pretty sure a lot of them were from Live-Evil, but not all). I have little if any 'subber loyalty', I'm afraid, and it's rare that I'll try out an animé because a subber I like is doing it; rather I'll download animé that I hear good things about from whoever's subbing it. (The exception is the first few series I watched; the animé that really started my addiction was Bleach, and I ended up getting into Suzuka and Mizuiro Jidai because Lunar were subbing them as well.)

But I digress. I'm a Tsubasa fan; I've watched the first season of the animé, and I've read scanlations of the manga, and enjoyed both. I'm not what you'd call a CLAMP fan, but I have some experience; I watched and enjoyed the dub of Card Captor Sakura (shudder) before I ever got into animé, and I've read a little of its manga. I've also read the Chobits manga, and seen the OVA of Magic Knight Rayearth. Before Tsubasa, that was the extent of my CLAMP knowledge. Since getting into Tsubasa, I've also got into xxxHOLiC (manga and animé) and I picked up the first volume of CLAMP School Detectives from my local library, which I enjoyed.

At any rate, I'm downloading the second Tsubasa season from Live-Evil because they're subbing it; I currently have no particular intention to watch any of Live-Evil's other series. I appreciate the work that subbers put into making these animé available for us to watch, of course, and for free to boot, but that doesn't mean I feel any personal obligation to any particular fansub group. I watch plenty of other animé from other groups, both unlicensed and (shockingly) licensed, if only because I can't bring myself to give up animé that I've got into once they become licensed.

My take on the semi-animosity in this thread is that most sides are being perfectly reasonable, and there's really very little reason for the animosity. The people who are complaining about the late releases are, when it comes down to it, just naïvely putting into words the thoughts that a lot of people here have but know better than or are too polite to say. Like it or not, when a group commits itself to speed-subbing a show, especially one with the level of guaranteed popularity that Tsubasa has, fans are going to be impatient to see the next episode; in fact, this goes for ANY show, it's just that the larger the audience of the show is, the more people are going to feel that way, and the more evident it will be as a result.

Of course, it's nobody's fault; the subbers aren't somehow 'wrong' for not managing to release all their shows as fast as the fans can watch them, and the fans aren't 'wrong' for wanting to see the episodes (...and nor are those who voice their queries as to when episodes will be released; they just don't know any better). Nor, for that matter, are the original animators and publishers 'wrong' for only showing episodes once a week. It's just the way it works.

Now for the argument about the quality of the animé. Personally, I have numerous reasons for watching any animé. Firstly, because I like its original concept: in Tsubasa Chronicle's case, this was a given because it featured characters I already know and like in settings that looked appealing. Secondly, because it has a good reputation: well, that's a given for Tsubasa too, I hear plenty of good things about it, and it has tons of fans.

And thirdly, because I can get hold of it easily. This is the kicker: if I know perfectly well that a show is going to be diffiicult to get hold of regularly, then it's unlikely I'm going to start watching it. There are a few exceptions; I may download series or OVAs that I'm very interested in and can get hold of in one batch even if they are hard to get hold of (Boku wa Imouto ni Koi wo Suru, for example, an OVA that ironically ended up getting me into its extremely slow-to-be-scanlated manga :p), but an ongoing series that is released very slowly isn't something I'm likely to get into unless I'm extremely interested in it beforehand. Not because I wouldn't necessarily be interested in watching it...but because I don't have time (or disk space ;)) to watch every single animé I'd be interested in watching (heck, the number I'm trying to get through at the moment is pushing it), and since I have so many animé to choose from, I'm not going to unnecessarily trouble myself by introducing myself to a series that's going to end up frustrating me with slow releases when I could just as easily pick up a series that's going to release regularly or is already finished and available to watch.

As for Tsubasa specifically, I think it is one of the better animé that I watch at the moment. It doesn't have the intricate and gripping central storyline that manages to advance every episode and leave you wanting more, like some shows (*cough*Blood+*cough*), but it's probably the best feel-good animé I've ever watched. With a huge cast of extremely endearing characters, good pace to its episodes, an intriguing overhanging central storyline, and beautiful animation and music, it's just one of those shows you can let wash over you and enjoy it, and there's never an episode that fails to leave me with a warm feeling afterwards. There's just something perfect and satisfying about it.

Also, when it does use fillers, they seem to be single episodes, which fit in well with the rest of the show. Heck, I hardly even noticed the filler in the first season (which I watched before reading the manga); I think there were three episodes that actually made me think 'hmm, this might be filler...', all of which were good episodes anyway, and one of which wasn't filler at all. Episode 4, "Innocent Wanderer" was so well-executed that it didn't even cross my mind that it was filler when I originally watched it.

Overall, I think that the only thing that's at all unreasonable here is the people implying that there's something wrong with watching Tsubasa and not watching L-E's less popular releases. Because I, and I'm sure plenty of other people who watch Tsubasa, don't have time to watch every animé in existence, and though I'm sure the praise of the people who do watch the series is justified, there are a TON of good series out there. If I tried to watch every episode of every animé released by every fansub group I download from, I'd enjoy them all, I don't doubt, but I wouldn't have time to eat, work or sleep, either, never mind keep track of them all ;).

Offline Eolo

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2006, 10:33:32 pm »
When someone watches an overly popular anime like Sailormoon, Dragonball and now the likes of Bleach, Naruto and Tsubasa, some anime fans tend to point the finger at someone who only likes that show and has no broader view of everything anime has to offer. But that usually isn't the fault of the show per se, it's just that the person is usually close minded and is a fanboy/girl by nature.

They tick me off, they really do and the fact that they think that fansubbers have some sort of obligation to sub it at a certain speed is in the least ludicrous.

In some ways, the advance of internet technology and broadband has spoiled a vast number of fans.

Offline cnet128

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2006, 11:35:55 pm »
If a person only watches one anime, and an extremely popular one at that, then it might be fair to patronise them a little, particularly if they, for instance, try to put across opinions that extend clearly beyond their limited experience.

Note, however, that just watching one anime doesn't make the person closed-minded or a fanboy - after all, an interest in one anime doesn't obligate a person to go out and watch more; heck, some people might not have the time or effort to devote to watching more than one series. All it does is make them a casual viewer at best. It's if they stray into the anime viewing community and start swearing by that anime über alles, whilst retaining their ignorance, that such derogatory names may be justified.

People who take fansubbers for granted and actually complain about releases are a completely different issue (though one that may often coincide due to the fact that both groups are characterised by their ignorance in general). Their arrogance *is* unjustified, and they clearly don't appreciate the subber to the degree that they ought to.

Please note, though, that these people should be distinguished from the sort of people who ask when the next release is coming out, or express impatience, in forums and the like. Neither of these are the same as complaining about the releases, although due to their similarity thereto they're generally seen as bad etiquette. Unlike genuine complaints directed at the subbers, however, these are mistakes easily made by the uninitiated, and don't tend to have arrogance behind them at all. They should be gently reprimanded and forgiven (unless of course the newcomer persists, in which case they can be classified under the 'arrogant' category).