Poll

Do you think Light's killing is totally justified?

Yes, absolutely!
6 (15.8%)
Not really. Yes, as far as killing the criminals go. But I am not so sure about his other actions.
12 (31.6%)
No, he is killing innocent people. That's all we need to know to decide.
3 (7.9%)
No way! That kid is no God! Innocent or not, he ain't got the rights to kill people around.
10 (26.3%)
Meh, who cares. Long as it is enjoyable, I don't mind what he is doing.
7 (18.4%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Death Note Poll 2: The 'justify killing' Poll  (Read 36301 times)

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
  • *L-E Staff* *Translator/ tlc/ newb typesetter*
    • View Profile
Death Note Poll 2: The 'justify killing' Poll
« on: November 20, 2006, 03:00:54 pm »
The questions and answer options above are self-explanatory. I'm sure you've all noticed how our Death Note Master Thread has been getting a number of intelligent posts these days regarding the issue behind this poll, that is, if Light's current course of action is in anyway justified or not. He may be God-like, but is that enough to give him the rights to actually put himself in God's place? After all, he is a human and his powers are all due to the Note Book. But again, why did fate make him pick the Death Note up in the first place? Is it because he deserved it and it was his destiny to be doing what he is doing now? There are many interesting thoughts and ideas behind this and of what we've seen in the main thread so far, many of us have agreed on many points regarding the rights and wrongs behind 'killing' itself. So please place your votes here. If you feel like it, extend your thoughts regarding this topic from the master thread to here. ^_^

A little advice though:
Please think carefully before voting. This type of question WILL require some thought beforehand.

-Tsubasa
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432
22:03 Mamo-chan: :O
22:06 Tsubie-chan: kaawaii

Offline hostghost

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Death Note Poll 2: The 'justify killing' Poll
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 03:16:07 pm »
I find that killing is not justified in any way. But I do question what the true difference between Light's "justice" and other justices. Like Stalin was a bad man, still 25% of people over 50 in Russia will say that he was a good leader. Sadam Husain's regime killed thousands, but plenty of people are still convinced that he was right when comitting this crime.

Justice is perception, justice is perception of justice. Legal systems are suposed to be representative of the people, so that the perception of justice within the system is in line with that of the general public. But this is always in clash with someone or something.

Anyway, as far as the anime goes I'll be cheering for Light, "Let me entertain you!"  ;)
"Hoping my two cents might be worth a dime"

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 03:20:24 pm »
I don't know what option to vote for myself. I need time to think I guess.  :P

BTW, if you think any other option applies, please tell me by either posting here or leaving me a pm here or on IRC. I'll be happy to add. But others with mod and/or admin access, please do not add it yourself without my approval.

-Tsubasa
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432

Offline kayryn

• kl33my Hero
  • Life is just.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 04:33:19 pm »
I'm really not sure. Until I've been touched by such an event, I really don't know. Maybe precognitive killing is okay? Like how Light killed the guy outside the store because he was harassing, and seemed like he was going to continue harassing, a woman.

I think, to an extent, it can be justified, and, while it is said we shouldn't get the coice to end someone's life or not, the murderers who Light kills are taking that power into their own hands. So maybe the power should be used against them?

All crime is bad, in one sense of the word, and, while there should be punishment, death maybe isn't a legitimate answer?

I'm not going to vote, as I really don't know. If there was a "I'm not sure" box, my vote would be there.
I never know what to put for these things....

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 04:40:30 pm »
I'm not going to vote, as I really don't know. If there was a "I'm not sure" box, my vote would be there.

That's why I said think before you decide.  ;) If I had such an option, it'd make this thread purposeless because most votes would go there. You are in responsible for your opinions, I am sure one of those options will eventually apply to you as we see more and our wandering thoughts regarding this form a definite shape.  :)

-Tsubasa

Offline Draconis

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 05:15:24 pm »
I find that killing is not justified in any way. But I do question what the true difference between Light's "justice" and other justices. Like Stalin was a bad man, still 25% of people over 50 in Russia will say that he was a good leader. Sadam Husain's regime killed thousands, but plenty of people are still convinced that he was right when comitting this crime.

Justice is perception, justice is perception of justice. Legal systems are suposed to be representative of the people, so that the perception of justice within the system is in line with that of the general public. But this is always in clash with someone or something.

Anyway, as far as the anime goes I'll be cheering for Light, "Let me entertain you!"  ;)

Ditto...

Seriously though I can't think of Light's "killings" as I do with respect to the real world...BUT let's live fantasy and say Tsubasa Chronicles is real, Bleach is real, Kenshin was real...etc. Then our "real world" I would have a gray feeling about what he is and trying to do but in the end I would probably be cheering "kira, kira, kira, kira"

Now don't think its the same for me if light's world became our own, then hostghost took the words right outta my mouth...again ;D

BUT if I put myself into the world of Anime then my humble opinon would not think he is wrong nor would I stand in his way...not because of fear , but because I too wouldn't mind " A cleansing of the evil people"....
Now that I think about I should stop right there before I get missunderstood
cause I know at least 1 person is thinking " One man can't always justly decide the worlds fate without being corrupt himself"

Well my head hurts now...I'm gonna go watch it, just to enjoy it for it being entertaing and later when headache subsides I will once again ponder the complexness that is DN
" No one really wants to die.."

Offline twik

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 11:41:02 pm »
I'm astounded that there are people who still think his killing is totally justified.  If you are one of them, please identify yourself so I know to never make you angry.

Offline Draconis

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 12:27:14 am »
ROFLMAO...I plead the 5th

Offline keepergirl

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 12:34:10 am »
Well, I voted for the "Meh, who cares" option.  I voted that way because, first and foremost, it's an anime.  No real humans' lives were on the line here. 
Also, despite being a Light supporter, I don't know that I'd consider any of his killings justified.  Deserved?  Yes.  Justified?  Not really.  Simply because he has the ability to kill doesn't necessarily mean that he should be using it.  It also doesn't mean that it's his place to "clean up" the system.  In other words, my beliefs are that the criminals may have deserved to die, but Light did not necessarily have the right to kill them.
(Also, not all his killings were even deserved.  The killings of the innocent FBI agents and Naomi were more justified than deserved, although I don't really think they were either.)

This whole conversation reminds me of the book (which was made into a movie), A Time to Kill, by John Grisham.

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 12:08:00 pm »
So what do people think about this poll?  :D

-Tsubasa

Offline hostghost

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 04:49:06 pm »
I think that the people who are voting for the last option is kinda missing the point.
The whole reason of the debate is to put the scenario of DN to a test. testing our own perception of justice.
"Hoping my two cents might be worth a dime"

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 05:38:33 pm »
people voting for last option = no perception of justice as far as anime is concerned  ;)

-Tsubasa

Offline Draconis

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 09:54:41 pm »
I choose the other side to the bottom...
For "how" the writers have set it out...I don't want Light to ever be caught...

<<<< runs away leaving only a purple cloud behind

Offline MoolT

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 02:09:23 pm »
No way! That kid is no God! Innocent or not, he ain't got the rights to kill people around.
But it doesn't mean I don't like this devil.

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 05:13:07 pm »
I choose the other side to the bottom...
For "how" the writers have set it out...I don't want Light to ever be caught...

<<<< runs away leaving only a purple cloud behind

LOL, me too.

-Tsubasa

Offline Vengeaner

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 08:00:28 pm »
He got this power, and he can use it however he wants. its not possible to tell him he is "wrong" only because he kills, thats not enough when you talk about power that should be belonged to God.
Its not his fall after all ;) its fall of Death Note.

Offline twik

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 08:50:46 pm »
He got this power, and he can use it however he wants. its not possible to tell him he is "wrong" only because he kills, thats not enough when you talk about power that should be belonged to God.
Its not his fall after all ;) its fall of Death Note.
This seems like a good time to quote my favorite scene from the movie Collateral.

Max: You killed him?
Vincent: No, I shot him. Bullets and the fall killed him.

Light is given a power that no mortal should have, I'll give you that.  However, the Death Note didn't force him to do anything.  As noted in the other thread, many people would have just left it on the ground.  Others, after realizing what it was would have destroyed it or locked it away.  Light has chosen to use this power.  I'm not going to give him a free pass just because he happens to have a Death Note.

Offline Lust

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2006, 03:47:49 am »

while i don't particularly have a supernatural death book at my disposal to properly judge such a poll - i would like to think i would consciously not use it.

i see killing as the darwinistic method of the weak to erradicate the weak from the gene pool. killer begets killer of killer, but that's a bit.. outside the box and we're talking about a supernatural anime that i enjoy none the less. ^^

Offline Siing

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2007, 04:12:01 pm »
I chose the 'Not really. Yes, as far as killing the criminals go. But I am not so sure about his other actions.' one. Thats the same way i think, if i had the power to do it, then i would get rid of all the bad guys to make the world a better place, i think that all the time =p. Although in Lights case he wants to rule over the 'new' world he creates with that power as a god. I wouldnt do that ><.
~The world is not beautiful, and that in a way, lends it a sort of beauty~

Offline phoenixphire24

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2007, 03:19:33 am »
My problem with Light killing anyone is that he's not a god. He's not all knowing or all powerful, so what right does he have to judge anyone, even criminals? Humans aren't perfect, and neither is the justice system, but we do the best we can with a judge and jury. In those circumstances there are systems of checks and balances.

However, I can see where Light is coming from. His father being a police officer, I can see him growing up hearing about all sort of people being killed or hurt and the criminals getting away with it. I might not totally agree with it, but I wasn't "against" Light until he started killing people who weren't criminals. He justified those deaths as "for the greater good" because they were trying to stop him. I can't agree with that.

Go L!!!  ;D

Offline Kyouya

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2007, 12:40:24 am »
humanity was never meant to play god. we do not have that power because humanity do no process that quality of a god or will ever achieve god. we are not able to reach that ability. because it is in your own belief that we desires shows us that we are fault to achieving god.

i mean everyday i wish for DBZ like power and fight people but that's not who we are. to achieve god is unreasonable because humanity and god do not mix. humanity's an existence that can not be equal to god .

it's like a saying don't play with fire or you're get hurt. god is too much of a responsibility for a humanity. one can not judge one kind because they are not judging them self. Mahala it's fun to bullshit!!

Offline syprate

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2007, 11:18:28 pm »
righto is freaking awsome. i think we he does is the right thing only if the criminals are not in jail or they got too light of a sentence i dont know where i am with cirminals in jail some of them are bad enough to jsut kill off which is where i think hes starting with atleast.

Offline BramBo

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 01:04:09 am »
its an oxymoron if u ask me, whether the person is a bad guy/killer or not. Killing killers would make a killer out of you. Like others already said its not up to him to be judge, jury and executioner!  So i would agree with him if he's kill himself when he's done but that would make tragic ending. and thinking about it i think his job will never be done as people continue to grow bad and snap if u may like.

Although his perspective is totally understandable he ignores all psychological damage done to others as well as to himself. Which makes him not a hair better then a psycho killer. Furthermore he totally goes against his beliefs of his father which is kind of ironic because he's trying so hard to live up to him.

Anyhoo As far as the anime goes, Keep it up light !!

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
TOPIC LOCKED: Death Note Poll 2: The 'justify killing' Poll
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 11:00:37 am »
It has been confirmed that Death Note has been officially licensed by Viz. Visit http://www.animeondvd.com/news/pr.php?pr_view=915 for details. So sorry guys, we are having to drop this series permanently. TOPIC LOCKED. Thanks for all the support you've given us.

-Tsubasa