Author Topic: Death Note: Do you have what it takes to be L?  (Read 29600 times)

Offline twik

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
Death Note: Do you have what it takes to be L?
« on: December 09, 2006, 09:44:29 am »
Try this simple riddle. It takes less than a minute.

Read this question, come up with an answer and then scroll down to the bottom for the result (I will confirm the correct answer, or if no one gets it I will reveal the answer in 1 week). This is not a trick question. It is as it reads.

A woman, while at the funeral of her own mother, met this guy whom she did not know. She thought this guy was amazing, so much her dream guy she believed him to be, that she fell in love with him right there, but never asked for his number and could not find him.

A few days later she killed her sister.

Question:
What is her motive in killing her sister?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 09:47:47 am by twik »

Offline nosajj

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Death Note: Do you have what it takes to be L?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 02:30:59 pm »
There are many possible explanations, such as the woman finding out that her sister killed the mother, etc. But the question seems centred on this particular man that the woman met. It is possible that this is done to throw you off. But, considering, this, the conclusion is that the woman was hoping the guy would appear at the funeral again.

Asking for the man's number outright the first time she met him seems to be a more pragmatic choice. Also, if she loves the man, she would want to create optimum conditions in which he would desire her. Her sister's funeral doesn't seem like an optimum condition. The woman  could've also checked the funeral inviation list (if there was one) before taking such an extreme action.

A more likely motive for killing her sister (assuming that only her and her sister are left in the family) would be to inherit all the fortunes left behind by her parents and not splitting it in half with her sister.

Offline suzaku_nomiko

• Rakuen Hero
  • いとおしい人のために
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 02:39:35 pm »
by killing her, she no doubt hoped he would show up at the following funeral.
-resident Cat Girl of Live-eviL
Timer, encoder,Noob-Typesetter ,GM, Keeper of the claws of death by Kawaii!
Yasashii yoru ni hitori utau uta. Asu wa kimi to utaou. Yume no tsubasa ni notte.

Offline kayryn

• kl33my Hero
  • Life is just.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 09:22:44 pm »

Suzaku, you get an applaud for that, I have to say.

Is there like, a definitive right answer you've chosen, or you just wanna see what we think?

This is something I'm gonna hafta think on. I'll reply with my answer later.
I never know what to put for these things....

Offline Amane

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 10:14:18 pm »

Do you really think 'normal' person (assuming that she is normal) would go that far to see this guy again? On the other hand if she fell in love with him she might take every opportunity to meet him again, even if it means killing her sister.

But I have to think it over.

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
  • *L-E Staff* *Translator/ tlc/ newb typesetter*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 10:15:06 pm »

Brilliant.

Well, she might have killed her sister because she found out the sister had killed their mother. This served two purpose.
a) chance of seeing him again.
b) maybe have L to come and investigate. After all, she had killed a criminal.

-Tsubasa
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432
22:03 Mamo-chan: :O
22:06 Tsubie-chan: kaawaii

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 10:21:05 pm »
Try this simple riddle. It takes less than a minute.

Read this question, come up with an answer and then scroll down to the bottom for the result (I will confirm the correct answer, or if no one gets it I will reveal the answer in 1 week). This is not a trick question. It is as it reads.

A woman, while at the funeral of her own mother, met this guy whom she did not know. She thought this guy was amazing, so much her dream guy she believed him to be, that she fell in love with him right there, but never asked for his number and could not find him.

A few days later she killed her sister.

Question:
What is her motive in killing her sister?

<ss-sirdark> that write up has flaws all over it (english wise)
<ss-sirdark> A woman, while at the funeral of her own mother,
<ss-sirdark> vs
<ss-sirdark> "her mother"
<ss-sirdark> her OWN MOTHER is redundant and wrong
<Tsubasa> the answer is what's important
<ss-sirdark> misery and blame likes company
<ss-sirdark> not always
<ss-sirdark> the question is what makes the world turn

22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432

Offline twik

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 11:13:54 pm »
First off, I realize the writeup has many grammatical errors.  I decided to preserve it as is on the off chance that correcting it would change the results.

The correct answer is indeed that she was hoping that the guy would appear at her sister's funeral.

If you answered this correctly, you think like a psychopath. This riddle was part of a famous psychological test used to see if someone has the same mentality as a killer. Many arrested serial killers took part in the test and answered the question correctly. If you didn't get the right answer, good for you.  However, if you got it right, then you just got L'ed.

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 11:17:21 pm »
The woman is the type of person who falls for a guy but cannot express her feelings for him.  It befits her character that she might sacrifice herself to protect the guy.

The woman did not know the guy, yet he showed up at her mother's funeral.  Most likely he was around her age, or younger.  If he was a friend of the family, or family, the woman would more likely recognize him.

Killing another family member is not something anyone does lightly.  Perhaps the guy had a dark secret that was known only by the sister and she had to kill the sister to keep the secret from getting out.  Maybe the guy murdered her mother (in front of the sister) or maybe she discovered the guy was a public figure and married and the sister was having an affair with the guy.  In both cases, the woman protects the guy by murdering her sister.  Unless she was protecting the guy, why else would she murder her own sister.  Unless in a more extreme circumstance, like she found her sister trying to kill the guy and tried to stop the sister, killing her in the process.

"Own mother" could mean the sister had a different mother, but that her sister was unrelated to her or adopted, or that she was adopted, wouldn't be enough of a reason to kill her sister.

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 10:53:19 am »
First off, I realize the writeup has many grammatical errors.  I decided to preserve it as is on the off chance that correcting it would change the results.

The correct answer is indeed that she was hoping that the guy would appear at her sister's funeral.

If you answered this correctly, you think like a psychopath. This riddle was part of a famous psychological test used to see if someone has the same mentality as a killer. Many arrested serial killers took part in the test and answered the question correctly. If you didn't get the right answer, good for you.  However, if you got it right, then you just got L'ed.

Our Suz is a psychopath.  :o  :o  :o

* Tsubasa  :'( and hides.

-Tsubasa

Offline keepergirl

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 01:48:28 am »
Our Suz is a psychopath. 
Thanks goodness I'm not the only one.  My sister posed this question to my brother and myself ages ago, and I didn't even have to think about it.  To be quite honest, the 'psychopathic' answer is the most logical one.  It may seem extreme, but it does make sense.

So, yay, I'm not the only psychopath here!

Offline Vengeaner

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 07:38:52 pm »
Well, after few minutes of thinking most trustable version is:
they was twins. so she somehow met those guy who happened to like those woman, and they was together. so after founding that out our "woman" got mad and killed her own twin-sister.
there is nothing that denies possibility of twins up there, but one thing just doesnt fit. probably there is some connection to funeral of their mother after all? apperantly version of killing in hopes of meeting those guy on funeral of sister is totaly wrong, cause there is no facts telling us do those guy knows sister or no.

yeah, also possibility of those guy being husband of her sister (but there is other thing against it... what point in that then? he wont begin to love her any way in that case... but if they are twins, there is possibility of overtaking place of her sister those guy loves in that case :) )
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 07:44:23 pm by Vengeaner »

Offline twik

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 08:40:30 pm »
I suppose "correct answer" is not a good term here.  The point of this exercise is that with few facts, many possibilities exist.  The answer that you come up with is in effect the correct answer for you.  However, the most relevant answer in terms of seeing who has the ability to think like a psychopath is the one given.  Someone who thinks this way has the potential to be a very effective killer.  Another person who can turn this mode of thinking on and off might be well-suited to catching such a criminal.  Remind you of anyone?

Offline keepergirl

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 08:43:15 pm »
yeah, also possibility of those guy being husband of her sister (but there is other thing against it... what point in that then? he wont begin to love her any way in that case... but if they are twins, there is possibility of overtaking place of her sister those guy loves in that case :) )
That's actually the answer both my siblings gave when asked the question.  However, there isn't much logic behind the sister being married to the guy.  I think most people have met their sibling's spouses, if not while they were dating then at least at the wedding. 

Well, after few minutes of thinking most trustable version is:
they was twins. so she somehow met those guy who happened to like those woman, and they was together. so after founding that out our "woman" got mad and killed her own twin-sister.
there is nothing that denies possibility of twins up there, but one thing just doesnt fit. probably there is some connection to funeral of their mother after all? apperantly version of killing in hopes of meeting those guy on funeral of sister is totaly wrong, cause there is no facts telling us do those guy knows sister or no.
Hmm, I'm not sure if I'm fully understanding what you're talking about here.  Are you saying that the girls are twins and the woman met this guy who started dating her twin sister?   (Which would imply that the guy does indeed know the sister.)

Offline Vengeaner

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 09:00:03 pm »
Hmm, I'm not sure if I'm fully understanding what you're talking about here.  Are you saying that the girls are twins and the woman met this guy who started dating her twin sister?   (Which would imply that the guy does indeed know the sister.)
i mean her twin sister met him right after the funeral. for example he was looking for those girl he liked and found her sister. and they started to date for example? so "killer" got mad at her sister and killed her for stealing "a perfect man". also she had possibility to switch places with sisters, and be with that man in place of her sister.