Author Topic: Matsumoto recommendations?  (Read 6038 times)

Offline MrPhil

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
Matsumoto recommendations?
« on: December 10, 2006, 05:33:55 pm »
I recently saw the "Galaxy Express 999 (1979)"  film and sequel "Adieu Galaxy Express". I thoroughly enjoyed both and yearn for more Matsumoto works.

Without question I'll be getting "Arcadia of My Youth", but am not so sure about more recent productions.

How are "Captain Herlock: The Endless Odyssey", "Harlock Saga", "Maetel Legend" and "Galaxy Railways"?

Thanks in advance.

Offline emsko

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Matsumoto recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 12:33:18 pm »
Tricky.

Well, I haven't seen Endless Odyssey, so out of the remaing three, I'd rate them in this order: Galaxy Railways, Maetel Legend and Harlock Saga.  I didn't think Harlock Saga was very good at all, so I'd suggest you rent that one before or instead of buying it.

A few other titles come to mind, though: Gun Frontier, Cosmo Warrior Zero, Queen Emeraldas, and Interstella 5555.

Those that I'd consider good are Interstella 5555, Gun Frontier, and Galaxy Railways.
Those I'd consider average are: Cosmo Warrior Zero, Maetel Legend, and Queen Emeraldas (the first two eps, anyways).

Offline PlasticYakuza

• Condor Hero
  • Drunken Bishie
    • View Profile
Re: Matsumoto recommendations?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 01:10:42 am »
Yeah, have to second the distaste for Harlock Saga. Basicly the opera "The Ring of the Nibelung" but told inside the matsumoto universe. Opera into Space Operaa. I had purchased the dvd without seeing it first and if it had not only been $10 I would have been upset.

I thought Endless Odyssey was one of the best anime series I watched this year. Whiel its only 13 episdoes, and could have possibly used a better ending ( :-X ) it had what to be expected from a Harlock series.

libido bending hot signals sending