Author Topic: Death Note Licensed  (Read 35063 times)

Offline Elethiomel

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
Death Note Licensed
« on: January 11, 2007, 04:08:15 pm »
I find it intriguing and disappointing that Live-eviL equates "The U.S." with "The English speaking world".

Offline suzaku_nomiko

• Rakuen Hero
  • いとおしい人のために
    • View Profile
Re: Death Note Licensed
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 04:22:48 pm »
L-E has always followed US licensing rules.
And it is a standard policy of all ethical  fansubbers to drop any and all titles when they are picked up by a local distributor.

No to do so ,,, well is a whole ugly can of worms.

It was fun when it lasted.. but face the fact.

It is over for THIS title. and L-E
  look forward to are next.

Expect this thread to be pulled.

-resident Cat Girl of Live-eviL
Timer, encoder,Noob-Typesetter ,GM, Keeper of the claws of death by Kawaii!
Yasashii yoru ni hitori utau uta. Asu wa kimi to utaou. Yume no tsubasa ni notte.

Offline Elethiomel

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 04:31:26 pm »
Why should it be pulled? It is in the right subforum. It discusses a concern. It is not intended to be disrespectful. It is not asking how to get the now-licensed DN episodes. And finally, in no place have I seen it stated officially that L-E follows US licensing rules. I may have overlooked it - but if it isn't stated anywhere, and it is true, it should be stated somewhere.

Offline suzaku_nomiko

• Rakuen Hero
  • いとおしい人のために
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 04:40:26 pm »
It will be pulled because there is NO,, REPEAT NO, NADA, NONE room for discussion on this topic.

A title  gets licensed, it gets dropped. PERIOD.
Yasashii yoru ni hitori utau uta. Asu wa kimi to utaou. Yume no tsubasa ni notte.

Offline Elethiomel

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 04:43:50 pm »
Yes. It get licensed, it gets dropped. I'm not trying to change that. I'm speaking up about it, and voicing a concern. Where else can this be done?

Also, there's no need to yell. Geez.

Offline suzaku_nomiko

• Rakuen Hero
  • いとおしい人のために
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 04:52:30 pm »
Choices are..

#1 learn Japanese and watch it raw.
#2 Wait for Viz to release and subscribe to their releases.
#3 Wait For the dvds to come out from Viz.

Offline Elethiomel

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 04:55:34 pm »
The first choice is out of my reach. The second choice is impossible because I do not live in the U.S.. There is a fourth choice.

To clarify: If nobody ever mentions it anywhere, nothing will ever be done about a problem. Now, again, I am not trying to get Live-eviL to change their ways. I have no power to do that. However, if some of Europeans and Oceanians and other English-comprehending people would figure out that because something is licensed for the U.S., and all the fansub groups thereby drop it, there are still a substantial number of fans who now have no way to watch a release - somebody might just cobble together a European- or Oceania-based group. Again, if a better venue for this discussion can be proposed, I would be happy to hear about it. That's an actual, not rhetorical, question

Offline vegaman

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 04:58:06 pm »
While yes, it isn't licensed in many other countries (I think it's licensed in Germany as well) it would be completely impossible to try to keep a release from spreading to countries where it is licensed. So live with it, it's not getting done by fansubbers anymore.

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
  • *L-E Staff* *Translator/ tlc/ newb typesetter*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 05:02:47 pm »
* Tsubasa jumps in to the conversation.

Yes yes, no US means end of world for us.  ::)But release by a licensing company in the English Language in the Western Hemisphere means we drop it. Look forward to Viz's new 'innovative technology'  ::)

-Tsubasa
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432
22:03 Mamo-chan: :O
22:06 Tsubie-chan: kaawaii

Offline Elethiomel

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 05:06:39 pm »
Ah, Vegaman and Tsubasa - those were some of the things I was wondering about. Thank you for replying.

Vegaman: True. There's no way to keep it from spreading. I guess I was reacting to the "L-E follows US licensing" statement earlier in the thread. I apologise.

Tsubasa: Yeah, indeed. DRM is an ugly piece of business.

Offline DragonboyVNY

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 06:08:06 pm »
*updates late 2007 shopping list*. I hope Viz does a job as good as you gals!
Usually Im either very happy with the subbing work from official distributors, or Im not.  Take Final Fantasy Advent Children for example, I cant believe they used "Dilly Dally Shilly Shally" although I like "Zuru zuru zuru zuru" with an explanation in the fansubs.

They never seem to explain things in subs outside of Extra Features sections.I dunno if its better or worse... having to check out the extras after watching an episode, or not geting them explained at all.

Im talking about translation points, cultural references, wordpay...

I mean the 2007 shopping list and 2008 shopping list actually, because it'll take them a while for the dubbing and packaging... Volume 1 in October peeps! (>_<)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 08:48:38 pm by DragonboyVNY »

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
  • Resident Sailor Moon Freak
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 08:08:05 pm »
In all of this someone is forgetting Enterthegames policities on Licensed Anime.

ETG has a simple straightforward policy - if it's licensed you don't sub or distro it. Read the sticky for gods sake.

And quit with the whining about "but it's only licensed in America". Licensing is a domino effect. Once the U.S. gets it the rest will follow like a pack of dominoes.

You also need to remember that most members of Live-eviL are American. So Viz would be quite within their rights to sue the American's amongst us so sorry much as we love Death Note, we don't have fancy a nasty letter from Viz kplsthxbye.

-gumbaloom.
[16:35]  <Scaevolus> hey leechers have to expend lots of effort, it takes almost a dozen keystrokes to leech stuff
[16:37]  <Mamo-chan> go stroke goomb's ego plz
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> fansubbing is not about leecher ego stroking
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> it's about how much we jizz when w

Offline crypticgimp

• Death God Hero
  • wOOt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 10:05:51 pm »
really now this topic isnt up for discussion, you may lament the loss of the anime but what gum states is true so stop the whining.  the old "i dont live in america so i cant get the official releases" argument doesnt fly.  you can via websites and a valid debit/credit card.  or ask someone to buy it for you and u send them the monies.
"Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
I AM queen of underwire!

Offline Ekkim

• n00b Hero
  • Jin-roh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 01:47:09 am »
Well, I can see what these guys means... if you aren’t from the US it cost a little more, and if you are on the other side of the world, it costs even more... and most licensed subs sucks if you compare them to fansubbers like you (its just like DragonboyVNY Says),  any way, its no big deal, I can live with paying for the subs.. what I don’t want to pay for is a english speaking series, a big deal of all the money I pay for the licensed series goes for the voice actors and I don’t want to sponsor that, if they where to just sub it and then sell it I would gladly buy it (and then of course it will cost less for both Viz and me) I would gladly sponsor that..
any way.. In the end I got no choice, I will buy it, I just wish I could pay for what I like and not for all of of it including what I hate so much -_-
IT IS SO EASY TO SEE
HOW FUCKING GOOD IT ALL CAN BE

Offline syprate

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 03:17:41 am »
T_T this does suck badly i dont want Death Note to go to the sucky subbers who dont care about anything but getting payed. But all i can do is the above 3 options I problly will go for the second option. Anyone know how we will be able to subscribe?