Author Topic: Converting mkv to avi using WINAVI  (Read 16173 times)

Offline mgthunder

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
Converting mkv to avi using WINAVI
« on: July 21, 2007, 11:08:05 pm »
Hi,

I used WINAVI 8.0 to convert my mkv files to avi and it works but in "output format" I selected "user defined".

after that I converted avi to dvd and burned.

The result was that everything was great except it visually just makes the TV screen when I play on a dvd player.

you can watch it but it's like pressing half the zoom button. the subs can be seen but the top left and right of the screen barely makes it.  I need to shrink it down just a bit.

instead of selecting "user defined" IN THE MKV TO AVI CONVERSION in the output format selection should I select one of the following to make it fit the screen?? any help would be appreciated!

Xvid[640*320:2m]+MP3[44100:128k]
or
Xvid[512*384:2m]+MP3[44100:128k]
or
DIVX HD[720*480:4m]+MP3[44100:192k]
or
DIVX HD[1280*720:4m]+MP3[44100:192k]

Thanks for all your patience!

Mike

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
  • Resident Sailor Moon Freak
    • View Profile
Re: Converting mkv to avi using WINAVI
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 08:08:01 am »
This isn't the appropriate place to ask video encoding question's really :/. Why would you want to demux the mkv anyhow?. They play perfectly acceptably with the correct codecs installed. If you're having a problem with Harlock or QM then I suggest you install Core Community Codec Pack.

For other stuff virtualdubmod for the win >_>

-gumbaloom
[16:35]  <Scaevolus> hey leechers have to expend lots of effort, it takes almost a dozen keystrokes to leech stuff
[16:37]  <Mamo-chan> go stroke goomb's ego plz
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> fansubbing is not about leecher ego stroking
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> it's about how much we jizz when w

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
  • *L-E Staff* *Translator/ tlc/ newb typesetter*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 04:22:50 pm »
I guess he just wants to watch it on TV...

- Tsubasa
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432
22:03 Mamo-chan: :O
22:06 Tsubie-chan: kaawaii

Offline mgthunder

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 01:40:56 am »
yes...I hate to demux it but I love watching on the big screen and my pc can only hold so much.  If anyone has an idea please let me know.  If not...have a nice day and thanks for the fansubs!

Offline Sapphi

• n00b Hero
  • look at mother nature on the run in the 2970's
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 09:23:17 am »
yes...I hate to demux it but I love watching on the big screen and my pc can only hold so much.  If anyone has an idea please let me know.  If not...have a nice day and thanks for the fansubs!

i don't know if this is what you want, but for my DVD's i'm using Avi2DVD to convert my avi's to vob files.  it apparently will do the same thing for mkv, ogm, and wmv as well, but i haven't done anything other than avi's (which, by the way, it does wonderfully).  i'd recommend at least trying Avi2DVD out and see how that works for you. 
CAPTAIN HARLOCK > ALL OTHER ANIME.
There was this one time, GOKU was acting like a super stud, and Harlock got sick of him, so Harlock SHOT GOKU, and GOKU DIED.
  ~ Masakari

Offline kiches

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 07:27:35 pm »
I've used winavi before, but I don't have version 8. What I do is I convert from mkv to dvd directly, and I adjust width and height to about 90%, that usually allows the subtitles to be seen on tv.

Offline zrdb

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 04:54:42 pm »
I use a hacked version of ConvertXtoDVD-you can also try DVD Flick which is freeware-it does have an audio video sync problem with mkvs, though.
Some Where Over the Rainbo?!?!