Author Topic: Need your option about anime getting Licensed and their companies  (Read 11086 times)

Offline Vash

• Rakuen Hero
  • Love an Peace
    • View Profile
I have been meaning to set up this post for a while now.

Lately a lot of people are talking about how anime is getting licensed by Geneon, ADV, Funimation,Viz, Bandai  and rightstuff. How these companies are wreaking everything. People dont understand that R1 dvds aren't gonna be the same as R2.
Myself I have been fansubing for over 6yrs and I own over 800 anime dvds. I support this industry a lot.
Of late Funimation seems to be taking the lead of licensing a lot of the newer show compared to ADV and Geneon.

Lately these companies have done an awesome job on the boxes the dvds come with. The stuff that come with the limited edition version. For example Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. The limited edition is amazing. The art work on the box is amazing and the extras are just awesome.

So what I want is everybody's option on  region 1 dvds aka US releases. I want to know why you hate these companies or why you enjoy buying dvds. I want to know your option on who's your favorite company and your thoughts on funi licensing all the new series.

I do not want to hear anything how R2 are better.

Thank you

~Vash~
Vash XD

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
  • Resident Sailor Moon Freak
    • View Profile
Re: Need your option about anime getting Licensed and their companies
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 11:40:33 pm »
By the way "because I can't get it for free anymore" is not a valid excuse to hate Funi / Geneon.

This group respects the legal and moral rights of Region 1 licensors. If a company has took the trouble to license something and you wanna watch said show if you live in an area where you can easily (and can afford eg 2 - 4 weeks pocket money) to buy from your local DVD store and/or import then it's your duty to support them.

Yes I know some people in southern American and Africa can't afford it yada yada but American's and Western Europeans can't use that excuse. If you're on broadband in Europe/America then you can afford to pay for your anime >_>

-gumbaloom
[16:35]  <Scaevolus> hey leechers have to expend lots of effort, it takes almost a dozen keystrokes to leech stuff
[16:37]  <Mamo-chan> go stroke goomb's ego plz
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> fansubbing is not about leecher ego stroking
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> it's about how much we jizz when w

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
  • *L-E Staff* *Translator/ tlc/ newb typesetter*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 12:13:36 am »
Option or opinion?_?

Gumb I think he wants your personal opinion regarding R1s :/.

Well I myself have been hearing how these companies are improving. While I will prefer R2s, if the R1 dvds come with dual audio tracks and I can have Japanese audio (I just hate dubs *most* of the time but certain dubs ARE better than the Japanese) or it's stuff like AnimeEigo's, I certainly support them. R2 are nice to have of-course and expensive too but R1s shouldn't be as awful as they used to be back in the 90s. Now licensors are much more flexble than they used to be back in those days. If all of these companies still did their works as awfully as say Nevlana with Card Captor Sakura then I'd totally think R1 buyers are nuts and don't know what's good but the fact is... they're not like that anymore. Now... me wonders when Viz is releasing FMwS.  It's been a while.

- Tsubasa
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432
22:03 Mamo-chan: :O
22:06 Tsubie-chan: kaawaii

Offline Sapphi

• n00b Hero
  • look at mother nature on the run in the 2970's
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 05:51:31 am »
there are three things i dislike about R1 licensing:

1.  Price.  it's not that i don't want to pay for my anime; on the contrary, as an artist i understand the importance of supporting other artists' works.  but there's just something kind of ridiculous about buying DVD's from a really long series (Inuyasha, anyone?)  and having like 3 or 4 twenty minute episodes on one DVD that sells for around $20.  i don't get an allowance, i don't have a job, my parents don't buy me whatever i ask for.  call me cheap, but i despise paying roughly $5 for a single episode, especially if it's filler. 

2.  Release Dates.  this isn't a really big reason against the licensors, it's just aggravating and goes hand in hand with reason number one.  when licensors get the rights to a show, they first release all the single DVD's, in slowwwww motionnnn.  those are the single DVD's that i hate getting.  i really do prefer box sets as they are complete at the time of purchase and seem to be cheaper.  there's just something really hard about waiting as one after another single DVD is released.  i want to see the show SO BADLY, but i don't want to waste money by buying singles. 

case in point:  Viz and Full Moon wo Sagashite.  the show has an incredible amount of filler episodes at the beginning.  i would much rather have a box set, than buy up the $20 singles as they are released.  i'm not sure if this system is unavoidable, or just a tactic to get more money, but i've witnessed first hand how companies can lose profits like this.  (my cousin purchased a bootleg FMwS box set, even though i warned her that putting money into bootlegs wasn't right.  but i can understand her excuse - why spend gobs of money on singles when i could have the whole series right now?)  i want to make it clear that i don't support bootlegs if there is a legit way to get the series, but when people are faced with one opportunity over the other, what are they more likely to do?

3.  Subtitle Translation.  Now, i don't have the biggest experience with R1 DVD's, but from what i've noticed, they like to assume you're stupid.  it's very annoying to me to be watching a show, hear someone call for someone else by their last name, and see their first name onscreen.  honorifics are totally ignored, too, it seems.  this is one area where i feel fansubs are superior.  i feel like, okay, most people watching subtitled anime aren't ignorant of the Japanese language... i'd rather see honorifics and stuff in that general area acknowledged.  the guys at Del Rey are really good about this in their manga, and i think it's something everyone can agree upon, yanno?

....i really do appreciate that there's such a booming anime industry here in the United States, but i think my main issue with it is that it seems way too expensive.  maybe it's unavoidable?  i don't really know, but it certainly does deter me from spending money on a series.
CAPTAIN HARLOCK > ALL OTHER ANIME.
There was this one time, GOKU was acting like a super stud, and Harlock got sick of him, so Harlock SHOT GOKU, and GOKU DIED.
  ~ Masakari

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
  • *L-E Staff* *Translator/ tlc/ newb typesetter*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 05:49:59 pm »
Heh. yeah DVD subtitles generally annoy me like crazy, although not as much as slurry annoying American dubbing voices do. :P

- Tsubasa
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432
22:03 Mamo-chan: :O
22:06 Tsubie-chan: kaawaii

Offline Vash

• Rakuen Hero
  • Love an Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 01:30:02 am »

Well thank you so far to everyone that has posted

I know this isnt a easy thread to post. There can be alot of negative or positive feed back. Which I would like to know from everyone.

Like everyone says there subs can get pretty bad sometimes. Slam dunk dvds you can hardly even watch the sub titles on it but the dub version is pretty funny though.

Sappi: Theres always filler eps in every series. The longest series I have right now is Yu Yu Hakusho.

Usually of late the releases go every month to every 2nd month. I do find though there is starting to me more limited Editions threw out a series.

Mr. Gum. Yes L-E respects the licensing of all series we do.
Find there has been alot of series we have done that have gotten licensed. Some I didnt even expect to get licensed.

I encourage more people to post. I am very  curious about everything you have to say about all of this.

Thank you everyone  [:perchut2]

~Vash~

Vash XD

Offline mamochan

• Rakuen Hero
  • Ayukawa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 01:38:47 am »
I respect R1 companies too Vash...

Sadly, some of them suck donkeys bollocks.

ADV and Funimation should pay more attention to the quality of their releases.

*goes back to watching KOR R2J DVDs* :o
DVD Backlog: Galaxy Angel (all of them), GITS: SAC, Juuni Kokki, Last Exile, Master Keaton, Rurouni Kenshin TV, Saber Marionette J, Saber Marionette J Again, Saber Marionette J to X, Slayers (The), Slayers Next, Slayers Try.

Offline Vash

• Rakuen Hero
  • Love an Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 03:05:54 am »

Mamo: Whats the problem with Funimation? How is the quality poor?

Thx

~Vash~

I go watch more Aoi Yori Aoishi
Vash XD

Offline mamochan

• Rakuen Hero
  • Ayukawa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 03:10:52 am »
Vash maybe you need to readjust your TV
Maybe then you'll see the piss poor quality of their DVDs.
DVD Backlog: Galaxy Angel (all of them), GITS: SAC, Juuni Kokki, Last Exile, Master Keaton, Rurouni Kenshin TV, Saber Marionette J, Saber Marionette J Again, Saber Marionette J to X, Slayers (The), Slayers Next, Slayers Try.

Offline Vash

• Rakuen Hero
  • Love an Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 03:17:41 am »
Dude I have a very high quality plasma and high end dvd player dude.

Theres nothing wrong with either of them.

~Vash~
Vash XD

Offline Sapphi

• n00b Hero
  • look at mother nature on the run in the 2970's
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 06:49:47 am »
Sappi: Theres always filler eps in every series. The longest series I have right now is Yu Yu Hakusho.

Usually of late the releases go every month to every 2nd month. I do find though there is starting to me more limited Editions threw out a series.

i know that, and i don't mind filler.
it's just that shelling out money for a volume with little substance feels like a waste.
and in the end, it really doesn't matter, but you know what i mean.
CAPTAIN HARLOCK > ALL OTHER ANIME.
There was this one time, GOKU was acting like a super stud, and Harlock got sick of him, so Harlock SHOT GOKU, and GOKU DIED.
  ~ Masakari