Author Topic: Shion no Ou  (Read 87311 times)

Offline bastard-sama

• Live Evil Members
  • Rakuen Hero
  • in the middle of nowhere
    • View Profile
Shion no Ou
« on: October 19, 2007, 11:09:52 pm »
Since no one has decided to make a post about the new anime I guess I shall
NOOOWWWWW DISCUSSSSS that is all
The resident bastard.

Offline mamochan

• Rakuen Hero
  • Ayukawa!
    • View Profile
Re: Shion no Ou
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 11:26:22 pm »
Shion ftw?  [:jar jar]  [:perchut2]
DVD Backlog: Galaxy Angel (all of them), GITS: SAC, Juuni Kokki, Last Exile, Master Keaton, Rurouni Kenshin TV, Saber Marionette J, Saber Marionette J Again, Saber Marionette J to X, Slayers (The), Slayers Next, Slayers Try.

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 12:12:10 am »
According to the pig this show was very scarey and should not be watched by anyone.

Offline tlynnec

• Rakuen Hero
  • L-E\LLE Staff Editor/TS/encode/QC
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website... it's safe.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 08:49:27 pm »
Yes, please, discuss.
* tlynnec blindfolds the pig and watches the awesome show.
You shall taste oblivion! ... which tastes like redbull... which is disgusting...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am staff, hear me roar!

Offline Techrat

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 04:06:08 am »
WOW!  [:jar jar]  And I ain't talking about World of Warcraft!  ;D

I am hooked.  The story seems to be very promissing. 
Can't wait to see what happens next.  :)

Keep up the good work.    [:burtonsnowboard]

Offline sosanimeboy

• n00b Hero
  • LE Staff - Editor and Death Note Harem Alpha Male
    • View Profile
    • My Site
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 02:35:35 pm »
One person I know had some (hopefully) constructive criticism about our release:

http://www.kickassanime.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=63355#63355

I haven't watched it yet, so I can't agree or disagree with his opinion.

Swing by my place and experience a whole new world of pain...

Offline Elchfaenger

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 02:34:24 pm »
I love you for picking up this show! Honestly, i was very pleasantly surprised by that release since I didn't even know an anime version of that existed.
i adored the manga, but sadly releases got stuck quickly. So it's really nice to see more of this lovely story.
Guess i shall not post spoilers here, but this is getting more and more interesting!
About criticism at KAA: None of that attracted my attention, so I'd say it's nothing serious. Instead i was amazed by the HD release.
Keep it up and thanks so far!
Speed doesn't kill - its the sudden stop that hurts!

Offline TheWind

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 11:47:47 pm »
Ok, this series actually made me re-register my nickname....
First of all, thanks for subbing this!
But I didn't just register to say thank you - I noticed something. Or rather, my boyfriend did. And we thought others might also be interested in this.
There's this part of the opening where portraits of some characters are shown - and we noticed that each is accompanied by two very distorted sentences. So we wondered what they say.

Thanks to the frame-by-frame function of media player classic, we could decipher them (left in japanese as the first sentences seem a bit spoilerish):

羽仁悟(?)
「だから言ったろ… 君は素直すぎるのさ」
「ほら…傷つけば ちゃんと痛いじゃないか」

神園修
「フ… 血だまりか…」
「勝負ってのは それだけで厳しいんだぜ!」

小林
「あんな可愛い顔して そこまで勝負にこだわるなんて」
「それは僕も一緒ですよ。 将棋なんてどうでもいい」

安岡幸子
「あの子はもう 充分苦しんだのに…」
「だったら母さん …待ってるから」

安岡信次
「決して諦めないこと…か」
「助けられたのは 俺の方かもしれないな…」

羽仁真
「心配するな… これでもっと 強くなれる」
「一番強い奴を決める… それが本当の将棋だろ?」

Seems like they're all quotes from the character shown...

Did anyone else notice this? What do you think about it?

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 12:35:01 am »
Nonsense.  If you want the real secret message, look up the shift-JIS numbers for each one of those kanji and try running them through the JN-25 cipher with the code books issued on 1 December 1941.  The resulting text is too clear to be a simple coincedence.  Be warned it contains major spoilers, things that haven't been revealed yet even in the manga.  Who could have imagined such a ******* *** for ***** and the plot twist about ***** being a [deleted], oh the humanity!

Offline rosachinensis

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 08:45:42 am »
hey guys this anime is SO great, i really can't wait .. and YES, maybe it's stupid, but i registered only to show my appreciation for this title. unfortunately anime  like this are not so popular, so i'm really glad that live evil is subbing it and encoding it in a very compatible xvid^__^'. that's all.

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 08:20:34 pm »
hey guys this anime is SO great, i really can't wait .. and YES, maybe it's stupid, but i registered only to show my appreciation for this title. unfortunately anime  like this are not so popular, so i'm really glad that live evil is subbing it and encoding it in a very compatible xvid^__^'. that's all.
It is not a popular show?  I thought it was one of the most popular shows for this season (?).  Either way it is quality.  The characters are more genuine than other shows of this type and the theme is better.

What I think is really goofy is how the characters are basically throwing their lives away for shogi.  They are choosing to forgo high school / college in favor of the game.  The game has become an obsession, their life is centered around it.  This is evident online/irl also.  Online I remember in one of the early subbing groups I was in there was a guy who had almost dropped out of college b'cos he became obsessed with a game called EQ/Everquest.  I know people like this irl too -- the game is more important than their friends, their family, their kids, etc.  It's kinda like .hack or something like that in this respect.  The three main characters each have some 'reason' to justify their obsession at first.  But eventually you have to ask, who is playing (controlling) who?  Are they playing the game, or is the game playing them? 

Offline tlynnec

• Rakuen Hero
  • L-E\LLE Staff Editor/TS/encode/QC
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website... it's safe.
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 12:23:01 am »
While that's true to an extent Sindo, I don't completely agree with you.  Unlike EQ or other hobbies, the characters in this show are pursuing a professional career.  In that respect, not going to high school/college isn't that odd, as many of the most successful business people, professional athletes, and artists  in the last 10 years have done the same. Look at the leaders in the computer industry, for example. And its not uncommon for figure skaters and gymnasts (both usually quite young) to delay or drop school to pursue Olympic & professional careers.  I actually quite respect people who know what they want to do with their lives and are willing to dedicate themselves whole-heartedly to the pursuit of that dream.
You shall taste oblivion! ... which tastes like redbull... which is disgusting...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am staff, hear me roar!

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 09:58:43 pm »
But you have to know when to step down too.  I watched the most current episode this morning.  Look at the example of the old master.  He's at the point in his life where he judges his accomplishments not in terms of games won, but in terms of how many young players he is able to inspire or to pass on his knowledge to.  The things like figure skating and gymnastics are okay for hobbies, exercise, etc.  But otherwise I think many parents push their children too hard.  There are tens of thousands of child athletes and only a finite number of spots to fill.  There's a whole industry bent around it, but what do these children do when they aren't one of the lucky few and they have nothing to fall back on or no life to return to.  If they had just done it as a hobby and kept the proper perspective on life, it wouldn't be such a problem.  If the fulfillment of a dream relies on something external to the dream itself -- a condition that can only be met for a select few -- a false dream like this is a risky thing indeed.  Imagine if the old master had never taken on Ayumi as an apprentice or never realised in his lifetime that there was something beyond winning or losing the game.  That would be the real tragedy.

Offline Selenity

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 01:49:15 am »
I do think it gets a little dramatic with the shougi, but I don't think it's overreaching. Professional players of any sport take their craft very seriously. Anyone who has played sports can appreciate the mental battle that goes on with each episode. But it goes beyond just competition. The main characters are in a psycological battle for their lives as well.

I LOVE this series. It's my favorite fansub since Innocent Venus.

Offline BTime

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 06:06:54 am »
Just wanted to say "Thanks" to Live-Evil for subbing this show.  You guys are always in my top 10 sub groups   :)

Now if I could only talk you into fansubbing Oishinbo  [:jar jar]