Author Topic: YAWARA DVD Box Set Orders from Overseas  (Read 16838 times)

Offline Tofusensei

• Admin
  • Rakuen Hero
  • Believe in love.
    • View Profile
YAWARA DVD Box Set Orders from Overseas
« on: April 03, 2008, 04:05:51 pm »
Hi, all.

Please post in here if you are not in the United States or Canada and wish to purchase the Yawara DVD box set. We may be able to help you out by buying it here and then mailing it to you. We are looking to help out all Yawara fans.

Please note which country you live in and what your particular countries tax (VAT) rates are. Thanks!

-Tofu
The alpha and the omega of Live-eviL.

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
Re: YAWARA DVD Box Set Orders from Overseas
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 01:05:52 am »
I thought AnimEigo in the past only had a license to distribute in US and Canada.  They obviously could not stop you from personally mailing to your friend in an illegal area but if they knew you were going to be in contravention they would have to not allow you to purchase multiple copies.  This came up in the past with the UY box sets.  If someone was obvious about what they were doing they could not allow that to happen in good faith.  Therefore it should not be posted here in a publically viewable place; instead it would be a better idea to do it in a more private way, or at least one that is not publically viewable after the fact.  Like IRC queries, PMs, or the like.

Ultimately if too many copies end up in illegal territories the license might get revoked or pulled.  So be careful out there and watch out for resellers or 'grey market' dealers who are just going to turn around and resell it to make a quick profit. 

Be glad they aren't even bothering to dub it, AnimEigo is old school and they lived through the boom and the bust of the 'big boys' in the industry and they know better than the waste their money dubbing it. 

Offline Tofusensei

• Admin
  • Rakuen Hero
  • Believe in love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 01:21:08 am »
I honestly didn't realize that it was illegal! I've been importing R2 DVDs forever.

-Tofu
The alpha and the omega of Live-eviL.

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 01:31:32 am »
It's only illegal for them, and only if they catch you or they intentionally act in bad faith (ie. they ship it to someone who they know will then ship it outside of the licensed area).  If you don't get caught, it ain't illegal. 

Also in many cases when you buy a R2 even though they say 'not for sale outside of Japan' the original creator doesn't seem to enforce it or care, I mean they are distributing them to places like CDJAPAN which then knowingly ship outside of Japan.  An original creator can break its own rules if it so chooses, without reprecussions (baring any contracts with third parties that give out exclusive rights or such). 

Whereas a licensor draws its power not by being the creator of the show and owning the rights, but by owning a license or an agreement with the creator that gives them certain rights with certain restrictions, ie. the restriction to distribute and sell the property only in the US and Canada.  They can't break the rules without risk since they don't really own the property to begin with.  A good license will spell out what happens if the licensor breaks the rules or takes actions in bad faith (ie. willfully takes actions that could reasonably lead to the violation of the license terms and conditions.) 

Here is the text from their website:
Question: I live in Lower Slobovia. Can I preorder Yawara?

Answer: No, sorry. Our license only allows us to ship to addresses in the United States, Canada, and their respective territories and possessions. We can, btw, ship to military addresses like APO's and FPO's (basically, if you've got a US zipcode or Canadian postcode, you're OK).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 12:30:13 pm by Sindobook »

Offline teucom

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 07:04:21 am »
Over the years we (living in germany) purchased hundreds of LDs, DVDs and other stuff from Japan and the US (my collection started years ago with Animeigos Urusei*Yatsura LDs), never encountered any problems... even amazon.co.jp delivers promptly anything out-of-area, when purchasing from smaller shops there for two or three times we had to pick up the parcels at the local german customs office because they couldnt read the japanese item lists and they needed a translation (doh). Jap and Euro share DVD Region 2.

Now little-sister of my very personal anime voice-over translation service has finished abroad studying and lives in kobe again, which makes import even simpler and cheaper...  :)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 07:22:11 am by teucom »

Offline BTime

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 08:43:47 am »
I was going to post a reply on the front page, but apparently it has a different login system than the forums.

Wanted to commend Live-Evil for allowing Animego to use your scrips as a base/reference translation for Yawara.  I don't think many other fansub groups would offer to do this without expectation of recompense.

Hats off to you folks   [:burtonsnowboard]

Offline J-poPreVails

• n00b Hero
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 04:55:58 pm »
Hi,

I would like to have the box-set!
I'm from Germany and VAT is at 19%.
You can send me an email for further details, thanks L-E!

Offline teucom

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 03:50:27 am »
I'm from Germany and VAT is at 19%.
Go for it! The low dollar as it is makes things from US and other dollar based imports all time cheap for us here - so that makes up for the VAT easily  ;D

Offline ANDARIAL

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 05:29:40 pm »
Sign me up too :)
I am in the U.K and VAT is 17.5% (Thieving Govt.) >:(
ANDARIAL is awesome, worship him!

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 11:18:01 pm »
You guys realise in most cases you can get around the VAT by having the sender label the package "GIFT" and putting something like "Happy Birthday!" on it right?  The pig sends a lot of stuff abroad and he's never had a problem this way.

Offline teucom

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 02:36:32 am »
You guys realise in most cases you can get around the VAT by having the sender label the package "GIFT" and putting something like "Happy Birthday!" on it right?  The pig sends a lot of stuff abroad and he's never had a problem this way.
And under no circumstances!! make your parcel look like a commercial one, keep it small, so in most cases the european customs dont bother about it and, unless one is very unlucky :), one doesnt have to pay the additional import tax (which is 7% in germany on books and media on top of VAT). Even the folks at rightstuf.com know this issue...! :).