Author Topic: The Daughter of Twenty Faces Discussion Thread  (Read 150709 times)

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
Re: The Daughter of Twenty Faces Discussion Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2008, 12:12:13 am »
[spoiler alert... you have been warned]

It's similar, at least in concept, to Shion.  Twenty faces wasn't ever looking for a lover, he was looking to groom a 'perfect' sucessor to carry on his legacy.  She wasn't perfect enough, she angers easily, has a short temper, and enjoys toying with or causing pain in others.  It's obvious why he left her, he is a careful man, and a perfectionist; he figured he would start all over with Chiko, who showed potential, and by getting her at a younger age, would have a better chance of being able to groom her into being a 'perfect' sucessor to carry on his legacy.

[end spoiler]

Offline eschiver

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2008, 05:30:34 am »
waaaiiiit, he wasn't looking for a successor. The successor FOUND and chose him!  :p

So Twenty Faces was saying something about realizing the war is still on and so he abandons the thieves....

Now these parts are probably still yet to be revealed... but they do raise more questions.

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2008, 02:31:47 am »
Why do you say that?  In the beginning, he had infiltrated her life and made it possible for her to 'find' him.  Who is leading on who?  The truth of a character comes out in action, not words. 

20 faces is an intelligent guy and has shown to be very capable when it comes to strategem, deception, and intrigue.  You can't take the things he says at face value.  In addition to his physical skills, he's also excellent at 'mind games' and being able to manipulate or control people, and at building underground support networks.

And 'the war' is clearly over, at least the type of war fought with classical weapons on the battlefield.  When he said 'the war', he was clearly refering to something else. 

Offline eschiver

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2008, 03:46:07 pm »
Chiko chose to come with him. After all, he was about to leave without her, so technically, even though Chiko doesn't do it right away, she eventually claims herself as his successor... but I don't argue the point that twenty face opened up a chance for her to do so.

I guess I shouldn't have said found hehe since I used the word to mean she found him on TV and newspapers. I just think its debatable whether twenty face actually planned for chiko to be the successor. Might had just been coincidence/plot device. That or there is some twist in it as well. Like he knew her and found out about her from somewhere. But currently, since it isn't explicitly stated or shown, this aspect is quite debatable on both sides. it is quite common for some people to just meet by chance and hit it off from there.

Now about the war. I got nothing on that. No clue what it is about. When he says the war wasn't over, there's something to it that will probably be revealed later. So no comment, just speculation.  :p

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2008, 09:12:55 pm »
Now about the war. I got nothing on that. No clue what it is about. When he says the war wasn't over, there's something to it that will probably be revealed later. So no comment, just speculation.  :p
Well the revelation came after the incedent with Tigger and crew, which would've forced him to basically start over anyways.  His underground network had been infiltrated, and only 2 members of his core team survived.  Tigger probably wasn't acting on his own accord, I mean he was probably a mercenary or someone else put him to the task.  Twenty faces' support network seemed rather unrealiable or undependable anyways, as we saw in earlier episodes.  Maybe he just realised how lax he had become, that anyone who followed him put their own life at risk, and didn't want to involve anyone else in his own personal crusade or struggle.

Offline eschiver

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2008, 03:26:28 am »
I'm just uncertain what the war is really about. What you said touches nothing on that, except the reason he abandoned the thieves; which is similar to my opinion except for the Tigger part.  ;D

Offline Ninyekka

• n00b Hero
  • Anti Hero
    • View Profile
    • Murmuur
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2008, 09:08:43 pm »
Why argue about what's going on:  we'll find that out eventually.  I still have the impression he truly is her father but we probably wont know whether I am right until the last few episodes.  This series is fun though, I like it.  Thanks for the updates:  I want more already :P

Offline eschiver

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2008, 03:48:10 am »
Sindobook started the argument  ;)

That or my bad choice of words  [:janfynette]

Offline MondSemmel

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2008, 08:00:45 pm »
Thanks for the latest episode! The series does seem unique in some aspects, and in any case is definitely worth watching. Though I'm worried that it (and Nabari no Ou, which I'm watching, too - perhaps partly because the protagonist is equally different from mainstream as Chiko...) do not have completed storylines because the mangas aren't finished yet? Both are scheduled for 22 episodes - what's going to happen after that if the manga still continues? A TV only ending like Claymore (hopefully not)?

Oh, and the project status for Twenty Faces hasn't been up to date for some time now - could somebody update that :)? It's really useful if it's somewhat up to date.

Offline bastard-sama

• Live Evil Members
  • Rakuen Hero
  • in the middle of nowhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2008, 09:25:11 pm »
the daughter of 20 faces manga is finished in japan so no its not that...
The resident bastard.

Offline eschiver

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2008, 10:53:46 pm »
remember the iron man episode? I found a strong resemblance in this Bonnie and Clyde Scifi picture  http://adonihs.deviantart.com/art/Bonnie-And-Clyde-2666-94592686

O.O

So during ep 14, Tome-san realized she was poisoning Chiko right? And she was bluffing with the Aunt about her tea being poisoned and bluffing that Chiko is super good at detecting poison? Or was the detection part true? I don't remember.

Offline MondSemmel

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2008, 04:49:35 am »
remember the iron man episode? I found a strong resemblance in this Bonnie and Clyde Scifi picture  http://adonihs.deviantart.com/art/Bonnie-And-Clyde-2666-94592686

O.O

So during ep 14, Tome-san realized she was poisoning Chiko right? And she was bluffing with the Aunt about her tea being poisoned and bluffing that Chiko is super good at detecting poison? Or was the detection part true? I don't remember.
I'm not sure whether I'm doing anything wrong, but I'm not permitted to view the picture (I get an error page stating I have no permission to view it) - do I simply need a deviantart account, or something more/else to view it?

I don't know whether Tome-san would know about Chiko's detection/tasting skills, but the anime shows this from the very first episode - quite memorable, for me at least, because Chiko's behaviour seemed very strange until it was explained as her not eating her aunt's poisoned food - which she noticed by tasting it.
Seeing how Tome-san was shown with a second glass with similar pills in her hands, she pretty much must have bluffed instead of really poisoning Chiko's aunt.

It seems I had some information confused - I looked on the wikipedia article for the series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Daughter_of_Twenty_Faces) and it said the manga was completed, but that there's a sequel (called Nijū Mensō no Musume Utsushiyo no Yoru) which is still continuing. I guess I got confused with other manga series (like Trigun -> Trigun Maximum) which switched publishers/went on hiatus and came back with another title but with a continuing storyline.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 04:51:46 am by MondSemmel »

Offline bastard-sama

• Live Evil Members
  • Rakuen Hero
  • in the middle of nowhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2008, 06:35:18 am »
yes i said that and it seems even though there is 8vols after ep 11 it was gonna stop following the manga so thats why its a bit 'wierd' or so i hear
The resident bastard.

Offline eschiver

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2008, 02:37:12 pm »
oh snap a sequel, now I wish there were scanlators for this haha.... so the anime only covers the first 8 volumes of 20 faces but splits off at volume 4?

What I meant was Tome-san's cooking skills are greater than the Aunt's so I thought she may be able to slip the poisons into Chiko's food thinking it was good for her without her detection. But now that she realized it she was quite shocked. Correct me if I'm wrong.

*edit* Wow, the picture I linked to disappeared... I wonder why...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 03:23:36 pm by eschiver »

Offline ms308680

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2008, 02:38:31 pm »
Just cerious if this project is still alive or on Hold ??? .  Really great job has been done, I check back here just about every day to see if you have any news ore new releases.

Thanks guys and keep up the excellent work