Author Topic: ANime Fansub Doccumentary on Youtube!  (Read 11988 times)

Offline Hecatonocles

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
ANime Fansub Doccumentary on Youtube!
« on: May 28, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »
Someone's made one! Half an hour and in 5 parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUYlqLlbix0

A lot of academic research has gone into it by the look of things, but I'm guessing a lot of fansubbers will hate what he has to say.

Offline Tofusensei

• Admin
  • Rakuen Hero
  • Believe in love.
    • View Profile
Re: ANime Fansub Doccumentary on Youtube!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 07:48:45 pm »
Wow, thank you for pointing that out.

Though I do believe L-E is a notch above about 99% of the fansub examples he used in the documentary, it is interesting to watch.

He does seem to COMPLETELY miss the point that fansubbing is more about being a hobby, a community, and competition than perfecting the "art of translation."

It stopped being about the anime and honoring its translation and nuances over 5 years ago. I guess that concept is hard to grasp if you're not entrenched in the scene like fansubbers are.

-Tofu
The alpha and the omega of Live-eviL.

Offline Tofusensei

• Admin
  • Rakuen Hero
  • Believe in love.
    • View Profile
The alpha and the omega of Live-eviL.

Offline Deus_Ex_Machinae

• Live Evil Members
  • n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 09:32:45 pm »
My stance on this so-called "documentary":

I agree with quite a few points you made, especially the translation issues you pointed out. Yet, the way you chose to make your points is the biggest flaw of your "documentary":
- I wish you would've taken a more objective stance when proving your points. Your documentary turned out more and more into personal vendetta, which is kinda sad for all the good points you made.
- Secondly, you kept pouncing on the fact that professional TLs are a lot better. Frankly, they ought to be. A fansubs goal was never to replace a commercial product in the first place.
Applying the exactly same criteria to messure the professionalism of a commercial product vs. a fansub is questionable in my humble opinion.
- The last thing I'd like to point out are the fansubs you picked for comparisons: obviously, most of them of were made by fansubs at the lower end of the available (fansubs) quality scale.

PS: Exaggerations work best in small doses ;)

Overall, it reminded of a typical Michael Moore documentary.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 09:36:00 pm by Deus_Ex_Machinae »

Offline Hecatonocles

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 02:39:47 am »

Also, for those curious about the filmmaker. Here is his CV: http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:VGiWHLNbrk0J:www.proz.com/profile_resources/122089_r468d509d3b93c.doc+%22paul+johnson%22+otaking&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=17&gl=us&client=firefox-a.

-Tofu

ooh... not sure posting that was such a good idea! the guy's gunna get loads of 12 year olds phoning up his home phone and calling his family "fags" etc etc, surely?

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 03:30:03 am »
He needs to practice on the fake accent.  The fake accent just sounds, so... fake.

Offline tenkenX6

• Live Evil Members
  • kl33my Hero
  • I still sub, I guess?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 02:42:17 pm »
I saw this on the thread Tofu started at the AnimeSuki forums.  Although, I didn't bother to watch the clip, since I didn't feel like it.  The guy seemed like he was an elitist (among other things) by the replies he was posting there, IMHO.  I just don't like getting caught up in stuff like that.  :-X

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 04:41:12 pm »
If you look at his first post, he admitted he was a bunny.  One of the pig's friends, I think, but definately not Jojo or Mr. Sparkles.