Author Topic: Genji Monogatari Sennenki  (Read 7992 times)

Offline Okita

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
Genji Monogatari Sennenki
« on: March 14, 2009, 09:32:11 am »
Genji Monogatari Sennenki, or The Tale of Genji 1000th Anniversary is an anime TV series based on one of the world's oldest novels by Lady Murasaki.  What makes it remarkable is its use of complex characters and themes compared to the simplistic romantic stories of its time.  Genji, for all his magnificence, is a deeply flawed hero, and the main female characters arguably surpass the male lead.  Classical Japanese lit is one of my favorite topics, and so far the show is doing a good job of adapting a longer novel, while staying true to the themes and plot of the original.

Post any thoughts you have about the show here.  Are you utterly unfamiliar with Genji, but loving the show? Do you love Genji, but hate the show? Do you have no idea what's going on, and need more cultural notes? We'd love to hear your feedback.

Offline silhouette

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Genji Monogatari Sennenki
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 12:48:36 am »
Hello there.

Since nobody seems to reply to this thread for quite I while, I just figured it would be nice to give some positive feedback and share some words of encouragement for subbing this series that unfortunately did not get enough attention. And you're doing a great job with it.

Now, I believe that most of the people interested in Japanese culture should have some basic knowledge of the Heian period or the importance of Genji Monogatari novel for the Japanese literature history and overall concept of romance and courtship, but maybe some additional notes about it wouldn't hurt - whether you decide to include them with the episodes, or perhaps to post it here in this thread or something.

And for me, as an older fan and an admirer of some other classical series that Osamu Dezaki did, it's a true pleasure to be able to enjoy a project such as this one. Thank you for your hard work. And if only a English translated version of the 1987 Genji Monogatari movie appeared, we'd live in a perfect world...

Offline Okita

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Genji Monogatari Sennenki
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 04:47:53 am »
Thanks for the feedback! Your comment is actually the first positive feedback I've heard  :)  My rule of thumb is, as long as one person besides me is interested in it, it was a worthwhile project.

I actually watched that old Genji movie in a class, I think, and it was... very loosely based on Genji.  It really went off in a different direction and was basically unrelated to the original novel.  I didn't care for it that much, but it did look pretty nice, IIRC.