Author Topic: problems with Galaxy Express now!!  (Read 11941 times)

amronaroke

problems with Galaxy Express now!!
« on: February 09, 2004, 03:55:11 am »
okay..this is getting FRUSTRATING.  I dled Mermaids forest like three times and couldnt get it to work, tried registering with the forums to find out what i was doing wrong and now after dling  Galaxy Express, i find that its doing the SAME THING.  when i go to log in, it tells me my account does not exist and i had to  RE-REGISTER!
what is up with some of the latest files guys?? i know you put a lot of hard work into it, and we appreciate your efforts. but its seeming more and more you have to hold  your breath, hop on your left toes, pat your head and rub your tummy while humming "its a wonderful life" in order to get things to work properly.   WHAT codec will keep Mermaids forest 3-9 and galaxy express 1 from crashing?
sincerely,
Amron-Aroke

amronaroke

Re: problems with Galaxy Express now!!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 04:17:05 am »
seems the beta .3 version of XviD works to clear out the problem as well.  I looked around the site some more and found a few ideas..and yes..started blindly dling codecs till i got one that made it work and didnt override my previous codecs (there was a european one from a diff. site i tried, but it makes it so older files dont want to play (early fansub releases and Mpegs)

Offline mikala

• Rakuen Hero
  • i wanna be an hero :o
    • View Profile
    • Mikala's Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 06:03:53 am »
well it's not crashing for me .
But our encoders use (generally) the last codec . so it's should be better to use the last Xvid ( currently 1.0RC2 )
Jabber ID : mikala@jabber.littleboboy.net

Rheinhard

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 09:53:20 am »
URGENT!

It is precisely this latest codec that is the problem.

Apparently a default setting was changed in the latest version of XVID to use "packed bitstream".  This was not the default before.  This option, if left in operation, causes major heartburn for any playback method using libavcodec (this includes standalone players like VLC, and software such as ffmpeg).  I have seen the same report of inability to play files encoded with the latest XVID from a variety of different people.  And it's not just Galaxy Railways, I encountered this same issue with the most recent episode of Planetes as well.

With this default in effect, the video at best looks very jerky when played back in many players, because each headerless vop translates into a dropped frame.  There is a thread on this issue in the AnimeSuki tech forum.

My biggest problem is that I am trying to convert these episodes to MPEG2 for conversion to standard video DVD, in order to be able to share them with friends who don't have fast enough computers or Internet to watch them on their PCs.  I've never had a problem doing this with episodes 1-6, but starting with 7 the export process, which uses ffmpeg, totally crumps.  

PLEASE PLEASE, turn this packed bitstream option off when encoding with the latest xvid release.  You will make life a lot easier for a great many people.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 09:55:28 am by Rheinhard »

Offline Vash

• Rakuen Hero
  • Love an Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 01:58:03 am »
I use ffdshow and the newest codec and play it on my dvix player.
Works fine for me.
If that doesnt work I usually go to the next player and then it will work.

Vash XD
Vash XD

watson387

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 01:57:41 pm »
I burn eps to cd-r and watch on my console DVD/Divx player. I change the Fourcc codec used from XVID to DIVX so it will be decoded as OpenDivx v4 instead of XVID MPEG-4, and my player will play it.  This ALWAYS works, but for some reason since Galaxy Railways ep. 5 this will not work.  It says "unsupported audio/video format".  I've also had this problem with Barking Dogs Never Bite.  It seems I don't have this problem except with Live-eviL releases, and they're the ones I want the most.  :(

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 05:43:13 pm »
on player and/or explorer crashing: this is due to xvid changing someting in such a way older xvid codecs cant deal with, so you get a "divided by zero" error and things crash. the solution? upgrade to the latest version of XVID :P i use xvid 1.0 RC 2

on not having fast enough computers: what piles of junk do your friends have??? O_o i have a 900MHz P3 256 ram system and it plays all of l-e's releases just fine. to put into perspective, my computer is nearing 3 years old, and was NOT state of the art at the time i bought it. seriously, it's time for your friends to upgrade, what with many of the new computers having 2MHz+ processers and a good gig of ram............

on playing xvid with divx: there's no law that says divx and xvid cant coexist on your system. that way ifit doesn't play right using one fourcc, you can always switch to another. besides, the newest xvid is able to decode divx 5 encodes anyway. but in effect, limiting yourself to only one decoder pretty much limits you when groups like l-e insist on using the latest xvid release (which can be both bad and good for different people). i always like leaving my options open

regaurding converting to mpeg2: it's really silly imo to do something like that, unless you plan to resell the fansubs as vcds or dvds on ebay. i'm not saying you are, but a lot of people do :( so please dont take it personally if the encoders dont try to make vcd or dvd conversion easy. in fact, i personally would encourage encoding practices that make such conversions difficult (but just to let you know, i doubt it was intentional :P)

amronaroke

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 01:02:13 pm »
okay....it seems that latest Codec i dled worked and fixed everything.  sorry for not replying in a more timely fashion, but i started a new job that had me working looooooong hours and gave me very little time to myself and when i did, it was "GET ME THE HELL AWAY FROM MACHINES" when i HAD the free time.  so needless to say, i have generally been away from the compy for extended periods of time.  
again, i apologize for my childish outburst and thank you all again for your time and efforts.
sincerely
Amron-Aroke

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004, 02:43:35 pm »
hah no need to apologize for something silly like not being able to reply quickly. glad you were able to play the file correctly.

Offline mikala

• Rakuen Hero
  • i wanna be an hero :o
    • View Profile
    • Mikala's Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2004, 02:46:03 pm »
okay....it seems that latest Codec i dled worked and fixed everything.  sorry for not replying in a more timely fashion,
[...]
again, i apologize for my childish outburst and thank you all again for your time and efforts.
sincerely
Amron-Aroke

nice nice :)
well we should probably add a link to the lastest codec on the main site  ( or setup a sticky post here /me pats moderators )
Jabber ID : mikala@jabber.littleboboy.net