Author Topic: Galaxy Express 999!!!  (Read 310094 times)

Offline BlackChair

• n00b Hero
  • Translator
    • View Profile
Re: Galaxy Express 999!!!
« Reply #345 on: January 13, 2009, 04:35:56 pm »
If you take that approach to life, there may come a day when you need major surgery: will you perform it yourself or leave it to someone who knows what they're doing? I thought so.

Lighten up... Anime is entertainment.  It is not in any way life-or-death, regardless of how much you like it.

And I can tell you (because I'm doing it) that learning Japanese is a lot easier than learning to be a doctor.  And the price of failure is much less.

As for my approach to life... I do what I'm able and get help when I need it.  I'm not saying you guys don't need help, but I am saying that you won't find it here.  I'm also saying that problems like this are within your power to fix yourself.

Offline Labrokratis

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 13, 2009, 06:20:18 pm »
I learned all the foreigner languages I could when I was younger. Now I'm too old and - basically here is my true problem - I don't have the time to learn a new one! I definitely would, if I was just 15 years younger. Now I have to learn new difficult things in my life, like being an adult or something :-P
(If I only had "DNA Sight" like Daiba... Or a mechanical body? Hmmmm)

Anyway, Tofusensei suggested openly what we can do (and actually this is what I already do). The bottom line of the message is that it is up to us to continue in our local regions the amazing work that Live-eviL begun with Galaxy Express!

I'll personally try it and I bet many other fans gonna try it too. And If there is an interest for the later GE999 episodes, a solution soon or later gonna pop up somewhere in the internet. It always do with the Leijiniverse for 36 years now!

Meanwhile we thank truthfully the Live-eviL members for what they done so far with this series and we waiting for the Matsumoto surprises they preparing for us!

Offline kaleyboy

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 15, 2009, 04:14:37 pm »
Well, I live in the UK and am region-locked, BUT, I've figured out a way to both watch and keep a copy of crunchyroll's episodes including the subs. If you haven't figured it out too, PM me and I'll gladly share my madness. Toodle-pip.

Offline thecore762

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 19, 2009, 04:35:38 am »
Thank you for getting up to 61 episodes, much appreciated my friend, I was wondering if they will finish this project and get all 113 episodes?

BTW, is it possible at all to DL these episodes at all?

Offline Sapphi

• n00b Hero
  • look at mother nature on the run in the 2970's
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 22, 2009, 05:38:31 am »
Wow, I returned to LE to find out all this stuff about one of my favorite shows... this pretty much sucks for everyone involved.  I live in America but I'm not sure I want to throw money at Crunchyroll to be able to watch my anime, because it doesn't seem like a very stable site IMO... how have they not been sued yet?  O_O

And anyway... isn't it kind of ironic that suddenly everybody's getting all possessive with the show, when it was Live-Evil that helped make it so popular anyway?  Meh... I just want a DVD release, it's all I ever wanted with Harlock/GE999/etc.  I'd totally buy DVD's, but I don't want to buy streaming anime.  -_-
CAPTAIN HARLOCK > ALL OTHER ANIME.
There was this one time, GOKU was acting like a super stud, and Harlock got sick of him, so Harlock SHOT GOKU, and GOKU DIED.
  ~ Masakari

Offline tenkenX6

• Live Evil Members
  • kl33my Hero
  • I still sub, I guess?
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 31, 2009, 12:23:54 pm »
Wow, I returned to LE to find out all this stuff about one of my favorite shows... this pretty much sucks for everyone involved.  I live in America but I'm not sure I want to throw money at Crunchyroll to be able to watch my anime, because it doesn't seem like a very stable site IMO... how have they not been sued yet?  O_O

And anyway... isn't it kind of ironic that suddenly everybody's getting all possessive with the show, when it was Live-Evil that helped make it so popular anyway?  Meh... I just want a DVD release, it's all I ever wanted with Harlock/GE999/etc.  I'd totally buy DVD's, but I don't want to buy streaming anime.  -_-

Yeah, Crunchyroll sucks, IMHO, so I don't blame you for feeling that way. I too would be happy if there was a DVD release for GE999 and Harlock some time in the future(preferably in the near future). I would buy up the DVDs in a heartbeat. Only time will tell if it becomes a reality or not.

Offline Nosehole

• Condor Hero
  • <3 Matsumoto
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 26, 2009, 02:09:22 pm »
Same here... For me the main difference between a proper DVD-Release and Crunchyblargh is the avaliability.
I live in Austria, so I can't stream that stuff ( also I wouldn't want to pay them for streaming ) - DVDs on the other hand can be imported from nearly everywhere ( if you have the connections ) and I'd pay any price for a GE999 DVD-Set!

Offline Artel

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 27, 2009, 02:04:52 pm »
Same here... For me the main difference between a proper DVD-Release and Crunchyblargh is the avaliability.
I live in Austria, so I can't stream that stuff ( also I wouldn't want to pay them for streaming ) - DVDs on the other hand can be imported from nearly everywhere ( if you have the connections ) and I'd pay any price for a GE999 DVD-Set!

So true, I'd gladly pay even Bandai Visual-type prices for an actual DVD set with subs. I tried streaming episodes on Crunchyroll, but the streaming q-q-u-u-a-a-l-l-i-t-t-y-y left much to be desired! :)

It used to possible to grab the smaller flv files, using websites like KeepVid and Clipnabber, for episodes they had up to watch smoothly and in your own time offline as of late January this year. However, CR have since changed how their videos load, and there's no way to directly download the flvs anymore. So now I'm stuck with very stuttered streamed videos as I don't have a dedicated server to purchase any of the region-locked downloads (that is, even if I wanted to!).

We can only hope that one day Toei can see the light, but I kind of doubt it! At least I was able to extract timed subs from the first half-dozen GE999 episodes and first 3 Harlock ones, but until someone works out how to download CR's flv files, I won't be watching any more of these.

Offline kaleyboy

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 27, 2009, 03:48:24 pm »
Crunchyroll has stalled at episode 62. Still region locked. If they didn't sub any more past ep 62, would live-evil consider picking the series up again? And your info at the top of each page saying crunchyroll are subbing it for free is wrong. It should say crunchyroll hates europe and is subbing only for the USA & Canada.

Offline bastard-sama

• Live Evil Members
  • Rakuen Hero
  • in the middle of nowhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 28, 2009, 02:17:05 am »
we will not pick something back up that we dropped simple as that
The resident bastard.

Offline emsko

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 28, 2009, 03:31:32 am »
Okay everyone, please refer to this thread: http://forum.live-evil.org/index.php/topic,879.0.html

And furthermore:
Crunchyroll has stalled at episode 62.

Think about that for a second...  In the 6 or 7 years since we started this project, we released 30 somethins episodes, whereas Crunchyroll has had over 60 in 2 months and yet you call that stalled?

As for the region lock, there's nothing we can do about that, but obviously there's demand for it elsewhere, so rather than complaining to us about it, why not talk to people and try to get it licensed in your area?  Sure, it's not that simple, but complaining here won't accomplish anything.

Offline Artel

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 28, 2009, 10:36:07 pm »
Think about that for a second...  In the 6 or 7 years since we started this project, we released 30 somethins episodes, whereas Crunchyroll has had over 60 in 2 months and yet you call that stalled?

Actually, Direct2Drive, which has been hosting GE999 episodes since last year (although Live-Evil didn't yank all the episodes at the time then) now has some 85 episodes up on the site, which is no mean feat. For any viewers out there who are able to grab any episodes beyond 33, I salute you - and I hope you appreciate just how very, very, very lucky you are!

In the meantime, the rest of us are indeed screwed since Live-Evil as clearly explained above can't just pick the series back up again.

As for the region lock, there's nothing we can do about that, but obviously there's demand for it elsewhere, so rather than complaining to us about it, why not talk to people and try to get it licensed in your area?  Sure, it's not that simple, but complaining here won't accomplish anything.

Have you seen how many pages the forum post complaining about region locks is on Crunchyroll's site? It was 39 last time I looked, and even then there hasn't been a comment from any of the guys that pose as "shinji" addressing fans' concerns.

Given that Toei isn't going to make these available for anyone else simply due to it not being a concern from them, and also given that I am perfectly willing to pay for legitimate copies of these episodes, I put out out an open call to anyone who has legitimate copies of these series; I will pay double the odds for each episode and give you timed extracted subs as I was able to grab from the few episodes of GE999 as detailed above. PM me if anyone is seriously interested in my offer.

Yes, as a region-locked fan I am that desperate. These shows are 30 years old. No branch of Toei in Europe or anywhere else is going to touch these with a 10 foot cattle prod.

Offline emsko

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 01, 2009, 05:15:20 am »
You're only screwed in so far as you refuse to do anything for yourselves.

When I rediscovered Matsumoto several years ago, I fairly lucky because L-E had just picked up Galaxy Express, Central Anime had started Yamato and a few newer shows were available for rent locally.  But, Harlock 1978 was not available anywhere as far as I knew. To make a long story short, I and a few other Matsumoto fans got together and released a few episodes of Harlock based on the french dub. We then got permission to use the Corn Pone Flicks translations and were able to sub all of that series, and then started on Queen Millennia and Harlock SSX.

Anyways, I'm not saying you should start fansubbing or anything, but seriously, you have plenty of options.  Personally, as I am also region-locked, I plan to watch it next time I'm in north america.

Offline kaleyboy

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 06, 2009, 10:56:24 am »
Anyways, I'm not saying you should start fansubbing or anything, but seriously, you have plenty of options.
Just what would these options be? Write emails to toei & crunchyroll? Done that. Post comments on their forums? Done that. Watch illegally via a proxy? No good as you can only watch the timed free-to-view episodes which take an age to become available. I want to be able to pay to watch when I want. Not everybody has the means to go to america to watch, and if you were seriously suggesting that as a legitimate solution, then I think a reality check is needed.  Bottom line IMHO, Toei did this to kill the fansub, they don't give a crap about genuine fans and live-evil folded on the fansub far too easily. They should've continued the fansub untill episodes were made available for everyone and yet I've never heard anyone from live-evil explain why this didn't happen.

Offline Nosehole

• Condor Hero
  • <3 Matsumoto
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 06, 2009, 03:45:30 pm »
...and live-evil folded on the fansub far too easily. They should've continued the fansub untill episodes were made available for everyone and yet I've never heard anyone from live-evil explain why this didn't happen.

Whoa, wait right there!
Are you suggesting the people here at L-E should have done something that could get them shut down just because Toei are a bunch of arseholes?

The Live-eviL stuff explained exactly WHY they canned GE999 and Harlock - because they got licensed. Period.

None of us are happy with how this turned out, but don't blame L-E!