Author Topic: Galaxy Express 999!!!  (Read 309400 times)

Offline kaleyboy

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Galaxy Express 999!!!
« Reply #330 on: January 11, 2009, 01:37:44 pm »
Okay, so the US and Canada are fine - but the rest of us are screwed. I've grabbed each episode from live-evil and loved every moment watching it. It's so unfair that people like myself who live in the UK won't get to see the rest of this great series. If Toei want to region-lock the crunchyroll episodes then live-evil should continue to sub this series for those of us outside USA. I feel hurt that this fantastic series subbed by great people will not be available to me anymore. I thank you for all the episodes you've done so far and hope you have success in the future; but please don't forget about us who are gonna be locked-out of the crunchyroll episodes.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 02:12:30 pm by kaleyboy »

Offline FlyingCircus

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 12, 2009, 04:06:11 pm »
This is a horrible thing to happen for me and as seen above for other users as well. I first stumbled upon this series on your site around 2006. Since then I have loved every episode you released and now I won't even see the end  :'(
It's sad, that you won't continue GE999 for those who live outside of the USA and Canada.

Offline emsko

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 13, 2009, 07:18:59 am »
You know, I just thought I'd point out that, just because these are exclusive to the US/Canada right now, it doesn't mean that'll always be the case.

Offline kaleyboy

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 13, 2009, 09:13:54 am »
You know, I just thought I'd point out that, just because these are exclusive to the US/Canada right now, it doesn't mean that'll always be the case.
Yeah, but there's no guarantee that they won't, either. I honestly think this is terrible what crunchyroll has done, leaving fans outside their service with no options. Fansubbers like live-evil should stand up to them and continue to sub for the region-locked areas. That way they just might reconsider. And, yes, before anyone points it out, I know it's Toei that region-locks the shows. But still, the same principile applies.

Offline emsko

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 13, 2009, 09:39:33 am »
Well, since that's not going to happen, maybe said fans should try doing something for themselves to make these shows available in their own region(s).

Offline Artel

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 13, 2009, 09:54:51 am »

I'd be willing to bet several body parts that this probably will be the case. The absurdity of a site that steals other people's fansubs on a regular basis can suddenly implement insurmountable region-locks for series many people worldwide would be willing to pay for is almost palpable. Indeed, this was never about the money; I wouldn't even mind only having isolated English subs to use on the expensive R2 DVDs - like the late lamented ScriptClub used to do before it was canned.

Strange thing though, Harlock and Galaxy Express were far from unlicensed in places like Italy, yet people from those countries could easily download the fansubs along with everyone else until Crunchyroll's "wonderful" acquisition of the two series locked everyone outside NA out. I feel that we can at least ask the legitimate question on what will happen to the existing fansubbed episodes with regard to non-U.S./Canada distribution?

Technically, they're still not licensed in the majority of places outside of NA, just as the few European countries etc. only had the license until a couple of weeks ago, so from that viewpoint, the existing fansubs should technically still be available to us poor plebeians. Have I got my analogies totally wrong?

Well, since that's not going to happen, maybe said fans should try doing something for themselves to make these shows available in their own region(s).

Now this is something that makes sense! :)

I still have the few post episode-36 Galaxy Express subtitle files that were made available on ScriptClub, and have feverously spent the last couple of nights refining their formatting and timing them all, so that could make a half-decent start to such an endeavour for us Crunchyroll-impaired individuals.

The translations for those few episodes are clearly more primitive translations than Live-Evil's GE999 efforts were before they pulled out, but they're better than nothing. Anyone that wants all these timed scripts for any reason can PM me.

Offline kaleyboy

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 13, 2009, 10:03:12 am »
What would you have us do?

Offline emsko

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 13, 2009, 10:19:51 am »
I still have the few post episode-36 Galaxy Express subtitle files that were made available on ScriptClub, and have feverously spent the last couple of nights refining their formatting and timing them all, so that could make a half-decent start to such an endeavour for us Crunchyroll-impaired individuals.

The translations for those few episodes are clearly more primitive translations than Live-Evil's GE999 efforts were before they pulled out, but they're better than nothing. Anyone that wants all these timed scripts for any reason can PM me.

That isn't what I had in mind, but whatever...

What would you have us do?

I really don't know.  If it can be licensed/made available in one region, it can be licensed/made available in another.  Easier said than done, sure.  But there's a better chance of something happening along those lines than of l-e continuing the series, so...

Offline kaleyboy

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 13, 2009, 10:26:42 am »
That isn't what I had in mind, but whatever...

I really don't know.  If it can be licensed/made available in one region, it can be licensed/made available in another.  Easier said than done, sure.  But there's a better chance of something happening along those lines than of l-e continuing the series, so...
Maybe we could start a new movement: The Galaxy Express Sufferagets and throw ourselves under their speeding flash player. LOL.

Offline Labrokratis

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 13, 2009, 11:40:54 am »
Basicly there are ways to bypass the stupid region limitations.
But this is not the point. It is obvious that soon or later, when (and if) the series ends, it so popular that someone gonna make a torrent with all the episodes and that's it. But IMO, this is not a solution eather.

Let's get some facts: The Raws of the Galaxy Express 999 episodes are out there. R2 DVDs are also exists for those who wish to buy them. So, what we basic need are the english subtitles.

The way I see it, what would all help us, is someone from Canada/USA to download the episodes from crunchyroll (after they pass the episode 33 of course) and then using well known methods, extract the subs, time them with the raws and share them with the world in a soft fansubbing form.

From there we can translate them in our local languages, because this is the true point IMO: Spread to the world this great timeless Anime masterpiece, which under  today's anime industry conditions, wouldn't even have a change to start production.

Artel I'm very interesting for the subs you have.

Offline kaleyboy

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 13, 2009, 12:28:41 pm »
I agree with Labrokratis about getting crunchyroll's subs, but no method I've tried seems to work for grabbing them. Anyone know a way?

Offline Tofusensei

• Admin
  • Rakuen Hero
  • Believe in love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 13, 2009, 12:56:29 pm »
Well, any Americans/Canadians should be watching on Crunchyroll in my opinion. We don't endorse ripping off professional subs, as much as I sympathize with the Europeans.

-Tofu
The alpha and the omega of Live-eviL.

Offline BlackChair

• n00b Hero
  • Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 13, 2009, 03:53:13 pm »
Let's get some facts: The Raws of the Galaxy Express 999 episodes are out there. R2 DVDs are also exists for those who wish to buy them. So, what we basic need are the english subtitles.

Why?  If you're going to sub to a particular language, start with the Japanese.  Oh, yes, I know what the response to this will be... "Nobody here speaks Japanese, but everyone knows English."

We have the same problem here.  Pre-licensing, it was solved by fansubbing.  If you guys all love GE999 as much as you say you do, why not sub it yourselves?  It's a lot more work than whining about it here, but the end result will be better.   :)

Offline kaleyboy

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 13, 2009, 04:26:38 pm »
Why?  If you're going to sub to a particular language, start with the Japanese.  Oh, yes, I know what the response to this will be... "Nobody here speaks Japanese, but everyone knows English."

We have the same problem here.  Pre-licensing, it was solved by fansubbing.  If you guys all love GE999 as much as you say you do, why not sub it yourselves?  It's a lot more work than whining about it here, but the end result will be better.   :)
If you take that approach to life, there may come a day when you need major surgery: will you perform it yourself or leave it to someone who knows what they're doing? I thought so.

Offline Tofusensei

• Admin
  • Rakuen Hero
  • Believe in love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 13, 2009, 04:31:05 pm »
My opinion is use a US proxy (there are services you can use).

-Tofu
The alpha and the omega of Live-eviL.