Author Topic: Firefox - like it? love it? hate it?  (Read 11802 times)

KillJoy

Firefox - like it? love it? hate it?
« on: October 03, 2004, 05:20:45 am »
I want to start off by saying I really enjoy firefox and other than sites that have no been able to keep up with using standards,  I have had very few problems with it.

I want other people's opinions on this though.  I did notice firefox doesn't render the grid chart of posts by people when you see how many post you have done in the last 14 days or 14 weeks etc...  But then again IE doesn't do this correctly either.

Offline mikala

• Rakuen Hero
  • i wanna be an hero :o
    • View Profile
    • Mikala's Blog
Re: Firefox - like it? love it? hate it?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 11:46:50 am »
regarding firefox i found a nice extension : the BBcode
it's really useful on some forums ( for example here ) .
i'm also using Single window.
Jabber ID : mikala@jabber.littleboboy.net

Offline Akirasuto

• Condor Hero
  • Booo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 01:23:46 pm »
If firefox only loaded faster ;)

Offline mikala

• Rakuen Hero
  • i wanna be an hero :o
    • View Profile
    • Mikala's Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 04:32:45 pm »
there's no reason to close it btw :D
Jabber ID : mikala@jabber.littleboboy.net

KillJoy

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 09:29:21 pm »
I currently use the Gmail notification extention.  It works very well and you can tweak it to your own liking instead of always having a browser window or tab even devoted to it.  you just have an icon down in the bottom corner that puts a number by it of how many e-mails you have.

The other extention I like of course is the ad blocker.  You can kill any image from ever being loaded including killing all images from a server for known servers that hash out nothing but adds.

At least they are trying to be cutting edge.

Oh and their pop up stopper that is built in is bar none the best hands down for a free program.

KillJoy

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 09:34:35 pm »
If firefox only loaded faster ;)

I will agree that it tends to be slower rendering pages.  If you really want to find out just how much slower I found a bench mark test.
http://testmy.net/cgi-bin/p_load.cgi

Run that in any browser you like and I suggest running the 25K as well as the 50K, because the difference seems to be less most times on the larger files.  Also run it on IE or what ever your browser of choice currently is to see it next to another program on your machine.

Remember this test is not about how fast your net connection is,  they do that as well though, it is to see how fast your browser takes the information given and renders it before calling for the next page to render.

Offline greenkabbage

• Rakuen Hero
  • leet title that I paid $100 for: -=LE=- Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 04:10:13 am »
i love firefox. i use nothing else. unless i have to test my css hacking on IE for the unenlightened.
killjoy there's now a gmail notifier from google.
adblock sure is nice.
if you're a webdeveloper, you can't not have chris pedrick's extensions: http://www.chrispederick.com/work/firefox/
down them all is nice as well, if you leech a lot of stuff from webpages.
you can get all these extensions from http://update.mozilla.org or http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/
go firefox!!
Well on my way to 100! (Ever so slightly out of date)
14 x Wolf's Rain
26 x Gilgamesh
09 x DAQ
03 x GE999
02 x Phantom
05 x Blood+
05 x Gallery Fake
04 x YUA:FT

KillJoy

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 09:55:28 am »
I love Firefox as well GK.  I had the Gmail notifier the day it came out and I also got the extention that lets you open up your webmail automatically to a new tab when you click e-mail addresses listed on pages.

I have really enjoyed it and I look forward to the next release as it gets better each time.  I even use the IRC client for it.  Not as powerful as mIRC or anything, but at 200k, loads in a browser window, and being free, I like it.

FIREFOX it ROCKS!