Author Topic: Kyou Kara Maou!  (Read 54753 times)

Offline crypticgimp

• Death God Hero
  • wOOt
    • View Profile
Re: Kyou Kara Maou!
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2004, 07:00:26 am »
hahahaha so many things i could say..so little space...
"Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
I AM queen of underwire!

Offline Tofusensei

• Admin
  • Rakuen Hero
  • Believe in love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2004, 07:16:44 am »
of course what i say goes, i'm pretty much the leader, and  i know the most JP in the group. -_-; and duh this is charity work, translators get NOTHING out of fansubbing.

Hi again ^^

I just would like to rectify that a bit, I think that translators do get something out of it or they wouldn't be doing it. No one in the world does something for nothing, everyone has an agenda whether it be practice, or cause you like the power it gives you, or you feel good when you help others. Whatever the reason everyone does everything for one reason or another.

Also, I am just curious if you feel that people better listen to you b/c you see them as expendable and replaceable, or is it that you feel if you stop getting what it is you are getting out of your "charity work" (power, control, fun conversations with me ;D) then you'd stop doing it?

You're fun to argue with, rp :D Sorry about that "smiles/smile" thing, it'll be fixed in future episodes.

-Tofu
The alpha and the omega of Live-eviL.

oceanizer

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2004, 08:15:15 am »
Hello, random person here.

I think that translators do get something out of it or they wouldn't be doing it.

Agree. As for me (I do translation as well), I am improving my English by doing the translation. Even if I don't gain anything out of it like rp says, still at least I will get self-satisfaction of being part of scanlation/fansubbing process, and I'm happy with it. (And maybe some recognition?)

Though, I agree with rp not to change the translation without notifying it, because those translations are proofed and stuff. I don't know about the main translation, but at least for the opening and ending theme, she spent some time revising and stuff to make it sounds better.

As for German names spelling, I would vote for spelling them in correct German name. By looking at those names in the Anime, I'm sure the author did his/her research on looking up German name. Don't you think if the Anime would ever subbed/dubbed officially, the author want the English translators to spell the names correctly?

Well, at last, I saw Maou, and I'm very intrested in the part that Yuuri (Juli) gets engaged. It'll be fun!
But my opinion after watching the first episode - I don't think Yuuri's appearance really fits his character -_-" He seems to be more of not-really-thinking-anything guy. (Sorry, lack of my English vocabrary, I don't really know how to say it in English.)

Anyhow, good luck to rp, the translator, and other staffs working on this series!

Offline Tofusensei

• Admin
  • Rakuen Hero
  • Believe in love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2004, 09:05:22 am »
Though, I agree with rp not to change the translation without notifying it, because those translations are proofed and stuff. I don't know about the main translation, but at least for the opening and ending theme, she spent some time revising and stuff to make it sounds better.

Nice to meet you, welcome :)

It's just that like, I don't care if I change something and I screw it up and I get bitched at. Whatever, I screwed it up. But if I fix an error that the translator has made for them and then I get bitched at it anyway for "making unauthorized changes", that's when I get irked. It makes me feel like "Why did I bother trying to help make it a better script in the first place?", you know?

Just because one translates does not automatically mean they should get carte blanche (sp) power in the group, IMO. I always considered L-E to be a community where everyone is of equal say, and only once have I ever had to put my foot down and override someone else's opinion. The goal of the project should be to create as much fun as possible, not try and follow one person's vision of how something should be.

Essentially if a translator says "you may not alter my work at all without telling me" then they are saying "I do not trust your ability to make decisions on your own." <-- I'd love to see someone (try to) negate that statement.

-Tofu

Offline Demn

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2004, 09:06:00 am »
Juli

woo~

oceanizer

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2004, 10:08:31 am »
"you may not alter my work at all without telling me then they are saying "I do not trust your ability to make decisions on your own."

It's more likely we (as in translators (+ proofers at times)) in general choose the words and/or sentense to make it sounds/looks better. Even though it might not sound good to you, but well, yeah, we try our best. So don't you think it's better if you can at least let her know? I don't know rp well enough but I'm sure she'll discuss about it with you.
Similar example is... if original author writes certain sentenses in certain way thinking of having some special effect on the wording, but the proofer changes it without discussing it with the author, won't author get angry with that?
Well, that's just my opinion.

woo~

Hmm... ...? Yay...
(Don't know why he wrote woo in there??)

By the way, I'm queued for epi 2 now. Hurry, download, hurry!!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 10:09:29 am by oceanizer »

rp

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2004, 10:32:05 am »
>>Yes, german "von" sounds like japanese "fon"

all right, i'll change that for future eps. i like the name Volf tho. XD

>>I'll post them tomorrow, if you're still interested....

please do. ^^

>> ^^;; maybe you should look at your buffer and make sure noone is typing in your name and talking about how what you say is what goes for everything, and how you're doing charity work for L-E.

i believe i already admitted that. what's the issue?

>>Remember that it was a member of your group who asked to joint and that when you disrespect your own members by putting their opinions below your own you're lying by inferring me to be the asshole. :)

i was not told that this would be a joint when Kyo asked me to do it. :D so this point goes poof. if you must know, i'm a little annoyed at Kyo for not telling me. :) and generally i don't go "i want this, if you don't, i'll leave" we normally do discuss... but if you guys don't talk to me to begin with, how can i discuss, eh? all i can do is assume you're disrespecting me. i'm usually happy with what s-ai does anyway, so there ain't a problem.

>>I just would like to rectify that a bit, I think that translators do get something out of it or they wouldn't be doing it.

I do this almost purely because Kyo begs, and i want my group to have a popular show. and the show amuses me. and this is an easy way to get raws. it also improves my TL ability a bit, but i can always go elsewhere for that. so yes, this is charity. why are you making such a fuss over the truth? being charity doesn't make it be worthless. o.O

>>Also, I am just curious if you feel that people better listen to you b/c you see them as expendable and replaceable, or is it that you feel if you stop getting what it is you are getting out of your "charity work" (power, control, fun conversations with me ;D) then you'd stop doing it?

ppl better listen to me because otherwise... i'll leave. it's very simple. i don't have the time to deal with people giving me a lot of BS over nothing. i translate for 5 groups, and have a good chunk of homework, so... if i don't like it, i'm not gonna stick around. get it?
really though, ALL i'm asking you to do is to not change the edited script w/o telling me and putting it on the dump. i really don't see why you're insisting on being an ass about it. i always thought it was normal good manners to tell the writer if you're changing stuff, but i guess not. my bad.

>>It makes me feel like "Why did I bother trying to help make it a better script in the first place?", you know?  

and then when you change stuff, it makes me feel lke "why did I translate this in the first place? obviously Tofu thinks he could do better because he changed it w/o even telling me." you know?

>> so let's drop all the bullshit from the past and just be good. I want to be good. I don't mind helping your group on this project, but I want to be good with you. O_O can't we just be good...

funny, considering you started it. and continued it.

*hugs ocean* leave Tsuba and run away with me instead. XD

[edit] sorry missed this one..:
>> Essentially if a translator says "you may not alter my work at all without telling me" then they are saying "I do not trust your ability to make decisions on your own." <-- I'd love to see someone (try to) negate that statement.

Essentially, if somebody says "I can alter your script however I like as long as I'm "100% sure" " then they are saying "I am an elitist jerk who thinks I'm better than the TL and therefore have no respect for what they're doing so I won't even let them know I'm changing anything." <--I'd love to see someone (try to) negate that statement.

you keep saying "I understand completely, I"m just being an ass" but by being an ass about it, you're showing that you don't understand and that you're doing the very things that you accuse me of... that you think your opinion's better than mine, and therefore you can do what you like. what gives? what do you get out of purposefully being an ass? i might act bitchy but i believe having my stuff changed w/o notification is very valid reason for being upset. you however, have no valid reason besides "wahh i got bitched at for changing something that was wrong." like i keep TELLING you, that is NOT the point. if you're such a great community animal, then cooperate and put the damned script on the dump. it'll take all of what, 5 seconds? jeez.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 10:40:28 am by rp »

Offline Tofusensei

• Admin
  • Rakuen Hero
  • Believe in love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2004, 11:02:37 am »

It's more likely we (as in translators (+ proofers at times)) in general choose the words and/or sentense to make it sounds/looks better. Even though it might not sound good to you, but well, yeah, we try our best.

1) I am a translator for L-E myself, so I'm not exactly unqualified.
2) It wasn't a matter of wording I was referring to. She mistranslated 2 lines which I corrected. There is no denying this fact. It makes it for a different situation than what you described.

-Tofu

Offline Tofusensei

• Admin
  • Rakuen Hero
  • Believe in love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2004, 11:04:51 am »
" >>I just would like to rectify that a bit, I think that translators do get something out of it or they wouldn't be doing it.

I do this almost purely because Kyo begs, and i want my group to have a popular show. and the show amuses me. and this is an easy way to get raws. it also improves my TL ability a bit, but i can always go elsewhere for that. so yes, this is charity. why are you making such a fuss over the truth? being charity doesn't make it be worthless. o.O "

Sorry, I wasa refering to the line where you said, and I quote, "translators get NOTHING out of fansubbing", but here you say "this is an easy way to get raws. it also improves my TL ability a bit", so it looks to me like you are a translator, and via fansubbing you're getting something, so I guess, well, I guess I am calling you a liar. :X

" Essentially, if somebody says "I can alter your script however I like as long as I'm "100% sure" " then they are saying "I am an elitist jerk who thinks I'm better than the TL and therefore have no respect for what they're doing so I won't even let them know I'm changing anything." <--I'd love to see someone (try to) negate that statement. "

You're right. I'll just stop fixing your mistakes.

-Tofu
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 11:18:35 am by Tofusensei »

rp

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2004, 11:27:32 am »
it is, essentially, nothing. if anything, it's just a shortcut. whoop-de-doo.

glad to hear you'll stop messing with things, since you're not able enough to upload a script when you change stuff. i appreciate it. ^^

Offline mikala

• Rakuen Hero
  • i wanna be an hero :o
    • View Profile
    • Mikala's Blog
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2004, 11:43:53 am »
Well let just stop with that .
it's just annoying now ...
Jabber ID : mikala@jabber.littleboboy.net

oceanizer

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2004, 12:58:37 pm »
1) I am a translator for L-E myself, so I'm not exactly unqualified.

I didn't say you're not qualified... Just saying that each translator has his/her mind of making wordings. Erm, but if you say so, you should've caught more mistakes ^^; I don't know about grammartical, but contexual, yeah...
2) It wasn't a matter of wording I was referring to. She mistranslated 2 lines which I corrected. There is no denying this fact. It makes it for a different situation than what you described.

Only example I got out of this thread is "a smile" and "smiles" difference, so I don't really know what else you've changed... My opinion is based on this one.
*hugs ocean* leave Tsuba and run away with me instead. XD

Nope, I'm with Tsubasa all the way.

Anyhow, I just watched the epi 2. But is it only me that in some scene, the screen was pixelized? :-/ I like Wolfram by the way. He's cute  ;D.

Offline Tofusensei

• Admin
  • Rakuen Hero
  • Believe in love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2004, 01:08:55 pm »

I didn't say you're not qualified... Just saying that each translator has his/her mind of making wordings. Erm, but if you say so, you should've caught more mistakes ^^; I don't know about grammartical, but contexual, yeah...
Only example I got out of this thread is "a smile" and "smiles" difference, so I don't really know what else you've changed... My opinion is based on this one.
Nope, I'm with Tsubasa all the way.

Anyhow, I just watched the epi 2. But is it only me that in some scene, the screen was pixelized? :-/ I like Wolfram by the way. He's cute  ;D.

Okay, when you were saying "but we translators" I was getting the impression that you were separating yourself from me (whom the post was directed at). ^^

As far as the lines, I didn't wanna go into detail but I shall. Both lines came from a lack of baseball terminology knowledge, she translated "kantoku" as supervisor when it was obviously manager (refering to the manager of a baseball team). The other line was she mistranslated "faamu ni ochiru" (ni was omitted and it was past tense) as "fail" which is really "drop to the farm leagues". I felt I had an obligation to fix the translations before release, which I did, and since I knew damn well what I was doing was correct I didn't think it to make sense to wait around for rp to come and "approve" my changes, especially because I was under the false impression that she had me on ignore on irc (we discovered tonight what the problem was :X). Anyway, I know she doesn't like me making changes to her script w/o getting them authorized ahead of time, but in that particular situation I felt that I was actually more qualified than she was to make the call on that line considering I was a bit more acquainted with the baseball terminology and all.

Where in the ep was it pixeled? Do you have xvid 1.0 RC4 installed? I used the koepi build. I assure you it's a codec issue and not the original encode (unless that was intended as some roundabout shot at me which would just be weird O_o;) Please refer to our playback forum if you need more assistance.

-Tofu

oceanizer

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2004, 01:24:57 pm »
Okay, when you were saying "but we translators" I was getting the impression that you were separating yourself from me (whom the post was directed at). ^^

I meant translators in general ^^. Not only rp and I, but you (I didn't know what your position is), and other translators out there.
I didn't think it to make sense to wait around for rp to come and "approve" my changes

Erm, maybe next time at least you can let her know you changed place even afterwards? (Sorry if you did. I don't really know the background.) Better than she figuring it out watching the released version. (And again, I'm assuming... >.>)
Where in the ep was it pixeled?

...Sorry, lazy to rewatch it ^^; It's probably because of my computer setup. I'm Anime dumb, so I don't really know all those ^^; Thanks for the info though.
Well let just stop with that .
it's just annoying now ...

And yeah, sorry, let's stop it. No meaning discussing it in here... (This should be done in background somewhere other people won't see... right?)

TheWind

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2004, 06:31:32 pm »
>>Yes, german "von" sounds like japanese "fon"

all right, i'll change that for future eps. i like the name Volf tho. XD

What does that mean – you like it so you'll leave it like that, or you'll change it although you like it? :)

The rest of my suggestions…as I said, I had a look at the official website for the show, and I found the Japanese spelling of a few names there. Here's what I made of them:
(I can only read Kana, so I just put _ where there are Kanji)

KONRADDO [WERAA _ KONRAATO] --> Konrad [Weller _ Konrath (?)]
Konrad with K instead of C makes the name look more German, although "Conrad" also exists in Germany. I used two different ways to spell the name because there's a slight difference in the Japanese spelling too – this explains his statement that "some of his friends call him that", I kept wondering what that was supposed to mean…it's just a guess, but I think "konraato" is his "official" name and "konraddo" is what his friends call him. I'm not 100% sure about "Konrath" though, it's an older form of "Konrad", but I've only seen that as a last name, never as a first name. But it doesn't matter anyway as nobody seems to call him that! :P

VORUFURAMU [FONBIIREFERUDO _ VORUFURAMU] --> Wolfram [von Bielefeld _ Wolfram]
Wolfram is a German first name, as I mentioned earlier, and Bielefeld is a city in Germany, so I'm quite sure about that one.

GUWENDARU [FONVORUTEERU _ GUWENDARU] --> Gwendall [von Voltaire _ Gwendall]
That guy took me some time...until I finally realized his name is not German, but French. This means I'm just guessing here, but as far as I know both names exist in French….Voltaire is quite famous (author/philosopher), and google found some French people called Gwendall, so I guess it's a name. The "von" is still German, though…

GYUNTAA [FONKURAISUTO _ GYUNTAA] --> Günther [von Kleist _ Günther]
Günther is a German first name, Kleist was a German playwright (1777-1811). (he's even called "von Kleist" – Heinrich von Kleist).

TSERI [FONSHUPITTSUVEEGU _ TSETSIIRIE] --> Celli (?) [von Spitzweg _ Cecilie]
Cecilie is a German first name (...once again :)). Spitzweg was a painter. I'm not sure about that nickname or whatever it is, according to my mother's book of first names, "Cilli" is a short form of Cecilie, but as the Japanese spelling is "tseri", I changed it to Celli…

Looks like the author is using quite a lot of names of famous people here – can't think of anyone called "Weller" or "Bielefeld" at the moment, but they probably exist.

To make it less confusing, here's a list of all my name suggestions until now:

Konrad / Konrath Weller
Adalbert von Granz
Günther von Kleist
Wolfram von Bielefeld
Gwendall von Voltaire
Celli / Cecilie von Spitzweg
Stoff von Spitzweg

I'm still not too sure about the Stoff guy, it's definitely not a name, but I haven't found the japanese spelling anywhere, so I can't really do anything but look at the spelling in the fansubs, listen to what they say and guess – why can't he just talk a bit, then I could find his name in the credits…does he talk in ep 2? Haven't watched that yet…

EDIT: Forgot to explain - I put the names in the list in european order because japanese order with european names just looks too weird (at least to me), especially with the "von"...

EDIT 2: Mixed up Katakana shi and tsu for what must be the 100th time....
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 07:07:59 pm by TheWind »