Author Topic: Initial D 4th Stage comments... - Archive Topic (Locked)  (Read 940664 times)

Offline JC

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Initial D 4th Stage comments...
« Reply #1290 on: April 20, 2005, 01:12:57 pm »
Cars in Japan are generally very very cheap, due to their laws and such...

The cars are usually about the same body size, and EVO's generally only come in 4 doors, but there are some 2 door models about (As I've seen anyway)

4WD's drift differently, and in some ways, the angle can be considered not drifting, because there are 4 wheels driving the car, not two

Also another thing is, that the Subaru's have Symmetrical AWD, so there's no range of wheels with more power than the other (front/rear). Most other cars normally have more power at the rear than the front, and some cars (R34 GTR), are RWD untill they lose traction, when the car load balances the drive power into all four wheels to maintain traction, and provide a steady propulsion
"Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven" - John Milton, Paradise Lost

Offline CooBlueDAB

• Condor Hero
  • To each his own, and I'm in my own universe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: April 20, 2005, 07:06:51 pm »
and Bunta has no life... so he probably has enough money saved.. lol... Anyways... over 100,000 views.. w00t
Kevin is awesome, worship him! (YES!)

Supra_Saiyan

« Reply #1292 on: April 20, 2005, 08:29:27 pm »
Cars in Japan are generally very very cheap, due to their laws and such...

The cars are usually about the same body size, and EVO's generally only come in 4 doors, but there are some 2 door models about (As I've seen anyway)

4WD's drift differently, and in some ways, the angle can be considered not drifting, because there are 4 wheels driving the car, not two

Also another thing is, that the Subaru's have Symmetrical AWD, so there's no range of wheels with more power than the other (front/rear). Most other cars normally have more power at the rear than the front, and some cars (R34 GTR), are RWD untill they lose traction, when the car load balances the drive power into all four wheels to maintain traction, and provide a steady propulsion

sorry noob
there have never been any 2 door evos

Just_J

« Reply #1293 on: April 20, 2005, 09:44:52 pm »

Not true. The 5 Speed NA USDM versions of the Impreza (and the WRX) are 50/50. The Automatics are 90/10. The Automatic WRX is 45/55, and the STI is 35/65.

The definition of a drift that I know, is when all four wheels are going at a slip angle of around 6 degrees or more. It doesn't matter how many wheels are driving the car, as long as the car is "crabbing" sideways, it's a drift. ;) Tell a rally driver they don't drift. :P
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 09:46:06 pm by Just_J »

Offline Yoten

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: April 20, 2005, 10:39:21 pm »
depends on what he meant by "out brake" ... if it should have been translated as out accelerate, like outbreak.. or as in Bunta is simply better at braking and controlling in the corners.

That line's always bugged me too (I was in the process of moving to Japan at the time and didn't work on eps 7-8). I just asked Eclipse to translate the line again and he said it should be more like "someone I can't catch up to in the corners" rather than "out-brake". Put through the Editor Filterâ„¢, with my own translation, it'd be:

"It's no good... I can't beat someone I can't catch up to while braking."

We've seen numerous times that Takumi brakes noticibly later than his opponents due to his driving style. That extra time he spends accelerating (or at least not DEcelerating) gives him a chance to shorten the gap with his opponents who usually have the advantage on straightaways. Against Bunta's WRX, though, Takumi can't even make up the speed difference in the braking part of the cornering process, much less all the other parts. That's just my thought process, anyway.

Just_J

« Reply #1295 on: April 21, 2005, 12:21:13 am »
Is this 2-door version of the STI smaller than the EVO?
And the 4-door STI would be longer than the 2 door?

Takumi sounds like he hates his AE86.
The 4WD doesn't even smoke tires when drifting.

BTW, where the hell does Bunta get all the money from? No way he makes that much as Tofu seller.

I can only go by the USDM EVO, but the Impreza is shorter, and the 2dr and 4dr Imprezas were (don't make a 2 door anymore) the same overall dimensions (only a SLIGHT weight difference). If Bunta has a Type R or RA, the car weighs about 2750lbs dry.

Just_J

« Reply #1296 on: April 21, 2005, 12:24:06 am »

That line's always bugged me too (I was in the process of moving to Japan at the time and didn't work on eps 7-8). I just asked Eclipse to translate the line again and he said it should be more like "someone I can't catch up to in the corners" rather than "out-brake". Put through the Editor Filterâ„¢, with my own translation, it'd be:

"It's no good... I can't beat someone I can't catch up to while braking."

It sounds like he's talking about out braking someone, which is exactly what you mentioned in the last paragraph.

Offline CooBlueDAB

• Condor Hero
  • To each his own, and I'm in my own universe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: April 21, 2005, 03:24:40 am »
Thank you Yoten, that has been bugging me for a long time lol...
Kevin is awesome, worship him! (YES!)

Offline JC

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: April 21, 2005, 06:59:37 am »
Hehe... They're US models though, we never get those sorts of things here, unless someone was really particular and wanted a US model of those cars...

The 2 door EVO I have seen was not 2 door to begin with, it was simply a modified shell for track use and safety purposes on the track

And as for the power distrobution, last time I was down at Subaru, I asked about them, and the guy mentioned that off the shelf they're 50/50, but the ecu alters the power requirements as you drive, so they can actually be any number of ratios, instead of ones that off the shelf are locked to certain ratioes (There's a version of the Monaro here that is four wheel drive, with a 35/65 split all the time, regardless of driving conditions and so on)

Rally drivers use a base of a standard FR 4 wheel drift in most cases, especially for hairpin turns, or anything past 110 degrees (More than a medium turn), thus on a road more than 30 degrees but less than 55 degrees, it is possible to appear to be sliding, but still driving in a simple manner (And at a fair degree faster than an FR, because the power distrobuted to the road means that the rear wheels won't slide much, if at all)

All those degrees from an entry angle are valid at 90km/h, which isn't all that fast, but is still a fair amount of speed on a tight course
"Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven" - John Milton, Paradise Lost

Offline Yoten

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: April 21, 2005, 09:54:01 am »

It sounds like he's talking about out braking someone, which is exactly what you mentioned in the last paragraph.

Out-braking someone and catching up with someone via braking are two different things... he was talking about the latter. You could loosely interpret the former to mean the latter, but that's just not good enough for editing purposes -- put the latter way, the line is not only more accurately translated, but easier to understand as well.

Just_J

« Reply #1300 on: April 22, 2005, 01:12:56 am »

Out-braking someone and catching up with someone via braking are two different things... he was talking about the latter. You could loosely interpret the former to mean the latter, but that's just not good enough for editing purposes -- put the latter way, the line is not only more accurately translated, but easier to understand as well.

I think know what you mean, but I've certainly heard the term used to describe someone who's making up ground in the braking zones. But I certainly agree with your point. :)

And as for the power distrobution, last time I was down at Subaru, I asked about them, and the guy mentioned that off the shelf they're 50/50, but the ecu alters the power requirements as you drive, so they can actually be any number of ratios, instead of ones that off the shelf are locked to certain ratioes (There's a version of the Monaro here that is four wheel drive, with a 35/65 split all the time, regardless of driving conditions and so on)

Said it before, and I'll say it again, dealers don't know dick. The new STi is 35/65 by way of a planitary gear diff attached to the DCCD clutch system. The DCCD tells it how much to lock up, but it's always 35/65. The automatic Subaru's are FWD first, since they use a clutch type computer controlled center diff (even the Outback VCD and WRX cars do, but they also have the planetary gear like the STi does), that doesn't stay full lock unless it's needed. My car is 50/50, no way to adjust it, since all the diffs are mechanical.

This is taken straight from www.subaru.com:
Driver Controlled Center Differential (DCCD) AWD: Exclusive to the WRX STi. Features both manual and automatic modes, uses an electronically managed multi-plate transfer clutch in conjunction with a planetary gear-type center differential to control power distribution between the front and rear wheels. Normally, DCCD splits power 35% front and 65% rear. DCCD also features a helical-type limited-slip front differential and mechanical limited-slip rear differential.

Rally drivers use a base of a standard FR 4 wheel drift in most cases, especially for hairpin turns, or anything past 110 degrees (More than a medium turn), thus on a road more than 30 degrees but less than 55 degrees, it is possible to appear to be sliding, but still driving in a simple manner (And at a fair degree faster than an FR, because the power distrobuted to the road means that the rear wheels won't slide much, if at all)

A car doesn't have to be full sideways to be drifting. Even a small slip angle, like 6 degrees, is enough to be considered a drift. Too many people confuse powersliding, and oversteering with drifting, they're not the same. Even on relativly slight turns, the driver usually has the car drifting. However, with how much WRC has advanced, the cars have alot more traction, so at times, it is easier to take a proper racing line with no drifting on easy turns. That was a big gripe of Carlos Sainz's before he retired.

Just_J

« Reply #1301 on: April 22, 2005, 01:14:42 am »
holy crap that was long. Wanted to kill two birds with one post. :p

chichin0

« Reply #1302 on: April 22, 2005, 02:30:18 am »
Damn Just_J you break a sweat writing up that post? Very informative and well researched, i love this forum, i learn more about cars in this forum than i do in some car forums.

Sti_Brumby

« Reply #1303 on: April 22, 2005, 05:50:35 am »
The Subaru employs an electromagnetic clutch on the center differential. Under normal driving conditions, say you're just cruising down the interstate, the diff clutch is disengaged, and 65 percent of the engine power is routed to the rear wheels, with the remaining 35 to the front (a 35/65 front-to-rear split). The car's engine computer adjusts that center-diff clutch, based on information from the yaw-rate and throttle-position sensors, and can send as much as 50 percent of engine torque to the front wheels. So the Subaru varies the torque split between 50/50 and 35/65. The driver can also manually select the torque split via a center-console switch.

clinton
ausubaru.com

Offline Brokenimage0

• kl33my Hero
  • Time to roll the dice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: April 22, 2005, 06:08:12 am »
man i am never tought stuff like this in my school. and i go to a tech school...(not full tech, highschool tech with half of my day spent in a shop related environment.)
The planet weaves a cruel fate for men... Children are always the first to suffer... Geostigma,Genova,Reunion... Children who have lost hope... Respite for the Soul... And so he takes sword in hand once again...