Author Topic: Initial D 4th Stage comments... - Archive Topic (Locked)  (Read 924620 times)

Offline thanong

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Initial D 4th Stage comments...
« Reply #1305 on: April 22, 2005, 07:19:19 am »
we just got our regular teacher back a month ago. for most of the semester we had substitute after substitue. one even brought in his ps2 and challenged someone to a race in GT3. it was okay but now that we have our regular teacher back its work, work, work.

Offline Brokenimage0

• kl33my Hero
  • Time to roll the dice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: April 23, 2005, 12:53:54 am »
lol my teacher is mostly an electrical stickler i dont think ive been shown anything so far this year thats not an electrical problem.which is all fine and dandy i just wish he would show us how to tune the PCM.
The planet weaves a cruel fate for men... Children are always the first to suffer... Geostigma,Genova,Reunion... Children who have lost hope... Respite for the Soul... And so he takes sword in hand once again...

Just_J

« Reply #1307 on: April 23, 2005, 02:01:15 am »
wtf... I can't post my reply. :mad:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 02:03:44 am by Just_J »

Just_J

« Reply #1308 on: April 23, 2005, 02:04:07 am »
There was some debate on the Impreza boards a while ago about the Impreza STi's "ability" to alter it's torque split to 50/50, primarily because of the misconception that diffs can alter torque splits.

There's no way to change the ratio of the planitary diff that's after the clutch pack, it will always be 35/65, even in varying states of lock, it will be 35/65. The clutch just varies how much it locks. If the pack is open, the center diff will act as an open diff, and the power will travel the path of least resistance (a good example of open diffs in action are when cars do 1 wheel burnouts.) Locked, the diff will not allow any slipage, but will still resort back to its mechanically fixed power ratio of 35/65. While it may seem like 50/50 because all four wheels are forced to spin, it's not. The torque split is set mechanically in the planetary diff, and there is no way to alter it without rebuilding the unit.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 02:23:52 am by Just_J »

Just_J

« Reply #1309 on: April 23, 2005, 02:05:31 am »
that's weird, I copied and pasted my post to notepad, but it doesn't like one of the paragraphs... gives me a 403 error.

Maybe I should clarify. when I was originally trying to post, I kept getting a 403 error, forbidden access to Yabb.pl (IIRC), so I copied the post to notepad so I wouldn't lose it. Figured I give the server a few mins. I tried again, same result, but my "test" post worked, so I tried posting a paragraph at a time. It took the first few, but it gives me the 403 on the third.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 02:22:39 am by Just_J »

Just_J

« Reply #1310 on: April 23, 2005, 03:09:59 am »
Ok, I just read a pretty interesting article that breaks down torque split, diff locking, and how they work pretty nicely. For those who care, I'll break it down, since work sucks, and I'd rather post about car tech. :)

First thing to know is what Torque is. Torque is twisting force, like if your turning a wrench, the force being applied to the nut is the torque. Next, you need to understand another important little tidbit. Newton said "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". In other words, if you push on something, it's gonna push back. This comes into play when dealing with traction, to put it simply, a car will only exert enough torque to rotate a wheel up to the point where it loses traction. As soon as the car breaks traction, the car stops producing additional torque at the wheel. To get a better idea of this, imagine you're on an excersize bike: If you drop the resistance down to nothing, and start pedaling, it only takes a little work before the thing is pretty much going on it's own, if you pedal more, it just goes faster to the point where it's going so fast that you can't move your legs any faster, with you having done very little actual work. That would be like having a wheel with no traction. Now, if you cranked the resistance up higher, and started pedaling, you would notice your legs would start to get sore, and you would have to work alot harder to get the wheel moving to where it's moving on it's own. That's similar to a wheel with traction accelerating a car. You can see how something would stop producing torque if it's not needed.

This comes into play when trying to figure out where the power is going in a given situation. Since the car will only put down enough torque up to loss of traction, if it takes 10ft-lbs of torque to spin the front wheels, that's all they'll see. So taking into acount the torque split, 10 to the front would be something like 18-20 at the rear, which may not be enough to get the car going.

Remember, with open diffs, power will go the path of least resistance, so while it may take 100lb-ft to move the rear wheels, the car is gonna take the easier route, and put down the 10 to spin the fronts first.

Now, if the diff was locked, in the same scenario, again, 35% of the engine twisting force will go to the front, 65% to the rear, HOWEVER, since only 10ft-lbs are needed to spin the front wheels, that's all they'll see, the rest will go to the rear. So, if you're putting down exactly 100ft-lbs, the torque split would be 10/90. Weight distribution, load, engine torque, and all that also comes into play. So under some situations the torque split may be 50/50, it may be 90/10, or 10/90, all under the same locked diff. However, the car will always try to send power in a 35/65 split. ;)

Ain't car tech/physics grand. :)

I understand this contradicts what I posted origionally, so keep in mind this is real world, what I posted first is in a perfect world. With the diff locked, and the car in the air, power will be split 35/65.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 03:14:40 am by Just_J »

Offline CooBlueDAB

• Condor Hero
  • To each his own, and I'm in my own universe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: April 23, 2005, 07:06:44 am »
so do you want to spoil the new episodes that bad?   What possessed you to give away details that must be key in the new episodes...
Kevin is awesome, worship him! (YES!)

Offline Brokenimage0

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: April 23, 2005, 07:13:14 am »
i havent watch 13 yet....i cant watch them with out teh subs... and l/e is the only ones that cut it so i wait
The planet weaves a cruel fate for men... Children are always the first to suffer... Geostigma,Genova,Reunion... Children who have lost hope... Respite for the Soul... And so he takes sword in hand once again...

Offline JC

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: April 23, 2005, 07:33:11 am »
Thanks for that Just_J, I'll have to look at a WRX STi me and a friend are considering purchasing for a race car with a little more scrutiny (It's an MY98, with some heavy drive train modifications, but before we can really work the car, we have to revert it to stock, as the drive train it has how won't be covered under the racing rules)

someguy_ZERO: If you think about it, the 86 is a 4 cylinder car... Now from what I know about the engine that's under the hood of that car, the final amount of fuel and air ratio inside the cylinder before combustion, is 33.9cc's... That's a pittance of fuel compaired to something like a V8 supercar, which can do about 30 or so laps without a fuel stop (possibly even more!). Combined with the fact it only has 4 pistons to drive at any one time, they use very little fuel, even at high speeds... Also, it could also not be shown during the switching of positions between rounds... They might refuel the cars? :P

Just_J, one question though... Would changing a 35/65 split to a 50/50 split affect performance much? I'd assume it would some how, possibly increase the power lost? (The stock performance of this car is 205Kw (275HP))
"Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven" - John Milton, Paradise Lost

someguy_ZERO

« Reply #1314 on: April 23, 2005, 09:18:32 am »
so do you want to spoil the new episodes that bad?   What possessed you to give away details that must be key in the new episodes...

Sorry about that. Removed.

Offline Brokenimage0

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: April 23, 2005, 10:10:32 am »
i know that a 50/50 split would make it harder to turn but thats about all i know on 4 wheel drives.

Sti_Brumby

« Reply #1316 on: April 23, 2005, 01:51:06 pm »
I have a Sti powered brumby or brat for us owners.

Plop

« Reply #1317 on: April 24, 2005, 12:40:58 am »
Thanks for eps 13 & 14!
Holla!

randomdriver

« Reply #1318 on: April 24, 2005, 12:48:06 am »
just here to say "Thanks LE!"

Offline Brokenimage0

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: April 24, 2005, 01:14:21 am »
woot thanks and for all who thought he spoiled something when he mentioned 5 rounds i thouhght he was refering to stage 2s 86 battle.i know im an idiot but it made since since i didnt see the new eps til as soon as they are done downloading