Author Topic: Initial D 4th Stage comments... - Archive Topic (Locked)  (Read 921205 times)

Offline Dapprman

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Initial D 4th Stage comments...
« Reply #1935 on: November 13, 2005, 03:24:45 am »
You can get water/methanol sprays to help reduce intake temperatures.  These normally either pre turbo/SC, or at the manifold.

Offline Brokenimage0

• kl33my Hero
  • Time to roll the dice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: November 13, 2005, 04:11:36 am »
o water injection...i thought you meant like something you coat the parts with, im like what are you talking about lol
The planet weaves a cruel fate for men... Children are always the first to suffer... Geostigma,Genova,Reunion... Children who have lost hope... Respite for the Soul... And so he takes sword in hand once again...

Offline CooBlueDAB

• Condor Hero
  • To each his own, and I'm in my own universe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: November 13, 2005, 04:24:13 am »
actually, yeah, I was talking about a coating.  a treatment of a sort.  The letters I had in my post below my sentences .. is the correct elemental name for it.   It supposibly insulates heat by a LOT.  So all you would have to worry about in an engine would pretty much be the physical wear and force on the parts.  Instead of having the heat wear on it as well.  In either case, I'm willing to bet is is expensive lol.
Kevin is awesome, worship him! (YES!)

Offline Plague

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: November 13, 2005, 06:07:04 am »
The coating is normally just called Thermal Barrier Coating. There's some info about it here. I've seen it used on piston tops as well as combustion chambers and valve faces. It keeps heat in the chamber - allowing the energy to go toward making power rather than dissipating into the cooling system.

It's not all that expensive - you just have to have your engine disassembled to apply it. 8)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 06:09:43 am by Plague »

Offline Dapprman

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: November 13, 2005, 02:24:12 pm »
Does it actually work ?  Just that I'm surprised the big tunign houses do not seme to use it, and if it were that good ...

Offline e30ernest

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: November 13, 2005, 04:33:10 pm »
It does.  A lot of cars raced here do have these ceramic thermal insulators.  They are pretty expensive over here though. 

Offline azndvl

• n00b Hero
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: November 14, 2005, 03:06:06 am »
isnt this forum topic for initial d? just curious

Offline Brokenimage0

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: November 14, 2005, 03:12:42 am »
yeah but we venture off topic while we wait, inital d is bout cars we talk about cars, close enough as far as were concerend ;), and yeah the engine im getting isnt even in yet so taking it apart inst a problem since i would rebuild it before i put it in.if it works im gunna try to get some, anyone a user who can vouch for it?
The planet weaves a cruel fate for men... Children are always the first to suffer... Geostigma,Genova,Reunion... Children who have lost hope... Respite for the Soul... And so he takes sword in hand once again...

Offline JC

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: November 14, 2005, 10:08:40 am »
Ceramic coating works brilliantly... Want to test it (and stuff your engine in the process), get a spark plug, crack the ceramic around it and drop some in one of the chambers, it'll just rattle around and gouge a groove into your block... I've seen it happen :(

If you do go with ceramic or TBC spray stuff, make sure you coat the chamber and the piston, pretty much everything that's going to come into contact with the head of combustion (Event the head/valves if you really really want to) to prevent hot spots forming around the chamber where it doesn't have the coating. The 4AGZE pistons are ceramic coated, and work brilliantly at head dissipation, but it means the block itself heats up more.

Personally I've only ever seen the cylinder bore and piston/con-rod coated, and it works brilliantly, just the head/rocker cover gets very hot in time... If you do go down that way, let me know how much it costs you and how well it works, as I'll be exploring this for my car in the near future :)
"Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven" - John Milton, Paradise Lost

Offline Brokenimage0

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: November 14, 2005, 11:35:30 pm »
yeah i think that im gunna go this route when i get my new engine(since now it became easier since i was swayed to teh 3sgte instead) from the link that was put up having the coating done was relatively cheap(58 per skirt and piston for their best stuff) and if it works as well as they boast its well worth it, im bound to ifnd out when i get there though =P.

Salubri6

« Reply #1945 on: November 15, 2005, 04:07:42 pm »
>>You can get water/methanol sprays to help reduce intake temperatures.  These normally either pre turbo/SC, or at the manifold.<<

Usually they use it to cool down the intercooler when they need that extra bit of power. In the same way some people use nos, only far more reliable. The other version of it was used int he Lancia Hp Delta Integrale, where they injected water into the manifold indeed creating both a colder mixture with the known benefits and power increase.

The ceramic stuff is pretty cool and very usefull, but if you want your engine to last as long as it normally does, make sure you have a topnotch cooling system, and if possible improve on your oil system as well. Makes it a lot more expensive but also more reliable and less prone to overheatings.

Offline Dapprman

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: November 15, 2005, 08:11:46 pm »
>>You can get water/methanol sprays to help reduce intake temperatures.  These normally either pre turbo/SC, or at the manifold.<<

Usually they use it to cool down the intercooler when they need that extra bit of power. In the same way some people use nos, only far more reliable. The other version of it was used int he Lancia Hp Delta Integrale, where they injected water into the manifold indeed creating both a colder mixture with the known benefits and power increase.
Different  type of spray.  The intercooler one is a simple water mist spray (and not needed on a charge cooler), where as the ones I mentioned are micro-mist ones that you have to drill throug to mount and which you need to keep an eye on the liquids levels when using.

DashRattleWRX

« Reply #1947 on: November 16, 2005, 01:47:26 am »
I haven't read through much of this, but I will say that the ceramic coating helps.  It's also known as Jet Hot coating.. I've seen manifolds coated with it inside and out where you could run the car hard for a decent while and one minute later you could reach down and grab the manifold without burning your hand.  It's really not all the expensive to have it done either.  I've been thinking about getting the exhaust side of my turbo jet hot coated to help keep temp down.  But I'm probably going to wait till I'm upgrading turbos before I do anything like that..

Offline CooBlueDAB

• Condor Hero
  • To each his own, and I'm in my own universe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: November 16, 2005, 02:04:04 am »
Ok, so this has been bugging me...  ???  Perhaps it was covered before, but after watching every episode of ID... I cannot figure out what happened to Tak's mother.  Was it ever explained? Did he have a mother? Or was he born from the backfire of the ae86?  Maybe humanoid living tofu? :P
Kevin is awesome, worship him! (YES!)

Offline azndvl

• n00b Hero
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: November 16, 2005, 03:26:00 am »
LOL in the real life movie it doent really explain it, but it does show pictures of her with bunta......assuming she died, there for he was a complete drunk in the movie, and not the drift master as we know him in the series.