Author Topic: Gilgamesh!  (Read 118165 times)

the_dreamer

Re: Gilgamesh!
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2003, 04:17:35 pm »
lol !
And it's not the first time, for exemple in saikano the generique was full of error ... ( on est heureuses = heureux !)...
Sorry live-evile for misunderstanding .

Offline greenkabbage

• Rakuen Hero
  • leet title that I paid $100 for: -=LE=- Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2003, 06:41:01 pm »
The waterleak will be fixed soon, hopefully. But then again it doesnt rain here much so people say: "who cares?" and put it off.
life is just chaotic and nothing can be done about it.

@the dreamer: yes the french phrases are put in by the japanese fools who thought they could be all cool by putting in German and French words. But alas, they failed to get it right.

I enjoy the show, it's got some good potential and once they start explaining the whole mess I think it will be get better, just like Rasha said.

dynamis, interesting word by the way.

*hint*
(ancient) greek anybody?
*/hint*

anyways, let's hope it will get better soon.
-gk
Well on my way to 100! (Ever so slightly out of date)
14 x Wolf's Rain
26 x Gilgamesh
09 x DAQ
03 x GE999
02 x Phantom
05 x Blood+
05 x Gallery Fake
04 x YUA:FT

Offline greenkabbage

• Rakuen Hero
  • leet title that I paid $100 for: -=LE=- Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2003, 06:29:45 pm »
I finished ep 6 last night. I hope it got finished but I havent checked yet. It looks like Gilgamesh is not even close to being as popular as wolfs rain. too bad. but I like the show and I think it will get better and better. Its cool to see Tatsuya develop, and I am sure his sister has got some talents as well.
can't wait for ep 7.
-gk
Well on my way to 100! (Ever so slightly out of date)
14 x Wolf's Rain
26 x Gilgamesh
09 x DAQ
03 x GE999
02 x Phantom
05 x Blood+
05 x Gallery Fake
04 x YUA:FT

Exile

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2003, 10:28:03 am »
People don't seem to like this show because of the "unique" style of animation, but I think it has a lot of things going for it as well. It has strong back story to fall back on, the premise gets increasingly interesting each week, and I think the music really helps to cover the short-comings of the animation.

It's not the best-looking anime but people should look out for other things I guess. If the story continues to develop the way it has, then it's certainly one to look out for.  ;)

Hi greenkabbage, nice work on the translations and ep 6 just came out  ;D .
« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 10:30:13 am by Exile »

m.d.

« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2003, 09:21:09 pm »
I agree about the art style... very unusual.  It's grown on me over time.  The music is really good, too.

So... episode 6... I just watched it.  I was hoping for a little more info out of the Gilgamesh posse.  They didn't say much about the Professor, and the way they ended the conversation was a bit odd.  I guess the Professor doesn't need Kiyoko that bad?  :)  And what gives with the Gilgamesh people?  Do they just enjoy getting their asses kicked, or what?  Geez, talk about lousy teamwork!  They lose every time.  If the preview is any indication, it's pretty obvious what will happen next.

I'm trying not to let loose huge spoilers or anything... do you have a rule about that?  No one ever talks about the episode's content, so I'm wondering  :-/

J5983

« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2003, 02:23:22 am »
They have LIPS! Amazing.

chii

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2003, 06:17:12 am »
LIPS?

I kinda like Gilgamesh, but I do wish that would leak more about the story, I still don't know what is going on but  I'm guessing that their dad's intentions were good, he did not crash into the atmosphere for the sole purpose of terrorism, the girl is more complicated than we know, and some other (ancient) guy is looking for their dad?  I  wish I had enough space to keep old eps so that I could go back and rewatch the beginning (with the scientist's meeting), the part where the legend of Gilgamesh is explained, and something else (but I forget what it was).  Actually, now that I think about it, there has been foreshadowing, but it's sometimes hard to identify at first.  Maybe I'll have to rewatch the whole series after it ends.

@Odd_Shapeshifter:
You said your friend knows the legend of Gilgamesh?  I thought it was made up!  Could you pretty-please enlighten me?

Offline Spymon

• Maetel Hero
  • Still here...
    • View Profile
    • Contains Spoilers
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2003, 02:21:17 pm »
http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/MESO/GILG.HTM was the first thing I looked at after watching ep1.

Still undecided on the series as a whole as I've not been able to watch all the eps in order.

Dissection, Experiments, Unfortunate Accidents

Saya

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2003, 03:50:47 pm »
Aaah, it's been a while but finally I made it back to the L-E Forums. And what can I say? I really like Gilgamesh! It's a great anime.  ;D

But, why do most of you hate the drawings? I really love that style, it was the reason why I started this series.

At first I was a bit confused about the story but now I understand more and more of it.
And the music is absolutely great. I love it when Kiyoko plays the piano and sings to it.

Right, and why does nobody talk about the story?
Well, here are my 2 cents:
I think, that countess is really suspicious, and I'm sure that Gilgamesh are the good guys somehow.  8)

@gk: Your translations are excellent. Keep up the good work! Ganbatte kudasai! (Is that correct?  ;) )

By the way, I'm German and I didn't see any mistakes with the German words in Gilgamesh (yet).

m.d.

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2003, 03:42:54 am »
At first I was a bit confused about the story but now I understand more and more of it.
And the music is absolutely great. I love it when Kiyoko plays the piano and sings to it.

Right, and why does nobody talk about the story?
Well, here are my 2 cents:
I think, that countess is really suspicious, and I'm sure that Gilgamesh are the good guys somehow.  8)

i was really surprised the first time kiyoko started singing... it just came out so suddenly, caught me off guard!  very nice, though.

i want to talk about the story... i keep asking the same question!  :D   initially, i thought the same thing; gilgamesh have to be the good guys.  the countess does seem to have a vindictive side... BUT, the gilgamesh girl looks pretty evil, too.  and that thing with that guy and the birds... come on, far too blatant goodie good behavior.  now i'm thinking they must be evil... heh.  i guess it's possible that gilgamesh are being manipulated, who knows?

i still can't see how the epic of gilgamesh fits the anime.  how can gilgamesh be three (possibly four) people?  there seemed to be a parallel between the countess/professor and ishtar/gilgamesh, but the names don't match up.  it seems like the names should be reversed on the professor's "team."  i hope they reveal some more plot details, because i can't figure anything out.  i think we'll learn something about the "music" in the next ep, after kiyoko heard that loud noise.

Offline Odd_shapeShifter

• Condor Hero
  • -=[LE-QC]=- Quality Checker Teammember
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2003, 10:00:58 pm »
I think Spymon has answered your question, however reading further, if you people are interested, I could ask my friend to post here about the relation between the Legend/epic Gilgamesh and this anime.

I myself love the art aswell, but then I do have a very odd taste of art, I'm very happy to see this kind of art is still made into animation, it's not that I like the 'new' style that seems to be very popular these days, but I like to see various art and this sure caught my eye.

If there are any German words that need to be translated I most likely will pick out the errors, if there are any, even though I am not German, it's not quite that difficult for me since I'm Dutch.

Indeed the characters have lips, that in fact alone makes it an interesting anime.

I think Gilgamesh is not so popular because there is not much male bonding in it, there is not much of males that have the possibility of liking another male, which doesn't make it interesting for a lot of girls (since they like shonen-ai and perhaps Yaoi) and with Wolf's Rain there was the hinting towards that, maybe good to select a new anime that has that kind of hinting to attract more female fans, or am I seeing this all wrong?

Offline Spymon

• Maetel Hero
  • Still here...
    • View Profile
    • Contains Spoilers
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2003, 03:08:26 pm »
I thought the whole thing was an allegory for 9/11, the first episode had too many coincidences for my liking.  And, to be honest, there's no such thing as a coincidence more often than not.  Crumbling towers, a terrorist that was once an ally, a terrorist that everyone believed to be dead and so on...

And the fact that the Gilgamesh epic seems to share a few common themes makes it more than likely that this is the case.  Anyway, we'll hopefully know all by the end of the series.

Dissection, Experiments, Unfortunate Accidents

Saya

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2003, 05:12:04 pm »
Well, I still think that the Gilgamesh guys and the professor are not that bad. How do you know that the prof planed that explosion (or whatever it was exactly). Maybe it was just an accident and a huge misunderstanding.
And I'm still convinced that the countess is sort of evil.

There are surely some parallels between the epic and the anime:
Enkidu (= the professor) and Gilgamesh (= the freaky kids) were best friends, Ishtar (= the countess) is a angry lady who hates them both.
The countess seems to hate the professor, maybe it's because he rejected her and chose Kiyoko's and Tatsuya's mother instead? What could be worse than the wrath of a jealous woman?  ;)

Offline pandaposse

• n00b Hero
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2003, 04:40:31 pm »

The countess seems to hate the professor, maybe it's because he rejected her and chose Kiyoko's and Tatsuya's mother instead? What could be worse than the wrath of a jealous woman?  ;)

I may be taking crazy pills or something, but in the first episode the (future) Countess and the Professor have the same last name -- Madoka.  Could it be that instead of the Countess being a jealous lover, that the Countess could be related to the Professor?  As in she's his sister?  (Like the Kiyoko/Tatsuya bond?)

What do you all think??

Saya

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2003, 03:21:22 pm »
Woah, have you all watched episode 8 yet? That was weird!  :o
Now I'm sure that Tatsuya reminds the countess of the professor. They really look alike. That woman is so ****! (<- censored)

The countess could be the prof's sister? Well, I don't remember much about the first episode, it was very confusing. I have to watch it again, I guess.
But that would be an interesting twist.

Damn, this forum is so unstable!  >:(