Author Topic: Space Symphony Maetel  (Read 63072 times)

Thorgal

Re: Space Symphony Maetel
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2005, 11:30:47 pm »
Now episode 6 have been finaly released but it's not XviD encoded. Now i would like to know if there'll be a XviD version for people without a 1,5Ghz CPU or people who want to watch the releases on the XBOX ?

I think the XviD encoded episodes are fine enough and can be watched by all people and now only people with a  fast CPU will be able to watch this release or have to re-encode this h264 release themselfes. This is really sad IMO.

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
  • Resident Sailor Moon Freak
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2005, 11:32:59 pm »
x264 plays fine on a p3 800mhz machine. Just make sure you install the x264 codec AND ffdhow BUT uncheck everything apart from x264 decode ^^
[16:35]  <Scaevolus> hey leechers have to expend lots of effort, it takes almost a dozen keystrokes to leech stuff
[16:37]  <Mamo-chan> go stroke goomb's ego plz
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> fansubbing is not about leecher ego stroking
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> it's about how much we jizz when w

Thorgal

« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2005, 01:07:16 am »
I don't want to playback it on a PC. I just started to download fansubbed anime because it was possible to watch it with my XBOX on a big screen. I can't really understand what's the point in changing from a fine XviD version to h264 during a running project.
Was something wrong with the previous releases to make it that important to change to a "hardware killer" codec ?

btw...there're still people who have an old G3 Mac.

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2005, 02:13:50 am »
h264 is the way of the future. You will find over the next few months that more and more groups release in h264. Same quality for much lower bitrate and better compression. So I'm afraid to say that you're gonna have to get used to it :D. For example look at Bleach and Full Metal Panic The Second Raid, both of those are examples of groups using h264.

It was just the same as the change from divx3 to xvid. People complained then but once everyone made the effort to update their codecs all was good.

Also remember that we're catering for the computer mainly. We're not here to ensure the encodes work on each and every stand alone player thats out there from your dvd players to your psp's. If it really bothers you to watch it on your xbox theres plenty of utilities out there to convert it for you. I'd suggest a trip to www.videohelp.com or a read of the guide on the animesuki forums about converting to DVD.

As for the question of whether there will be a xvid encode. The answer at this time is no. The encoder asked if he could move to h264 and the opinion of all of those involved with SSM was garnered and everyone agreed that we should move to h264. There are obvious improvements in the quality of the encode over xvid which befit the quality of the original region 2 source.

So to sumarise...
a) the decision to move to h264 was a group decision and we won't be reverting back to xvid.
b) h264 improves the encode quality
c) we're not in this game for compatibility with every standalone hardware player
d) h264 is the way of the future and you will see more and more groups using it.
e) If you want to play it on your xbox either run it through a converter or you could aways support the anime's original makers and buy the region 2 DVD's :D
[16:35]  <Scaevolus> hey leechers have to expend lots of effort, it takes almost a dozen keystrokes to leech stuff

Thorgal

« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2005, 03:59:45 am »
h264 is the way of the future. You will find over the next few months that more and more groups release in h264. Same quality for much lower bitrate and better compression. So I'm afraid to say that you're gonna have to get used to it :D. For example look at Bleach and Full Metal Panic The Second Raid, both of those are examples of groups using h264.
*lol* If you re-encode a xvid encoded tvrip to h264 it's better ? The quality will not be better. BTW...the most groups using h264 are R1 DVD ripping groups.

It was just the same as the change from divx3 to xvid. People complained then but once everyone made the effort to update their codecs all was good.
What a great example. Do you need a 3-4 times faster PC to decode xvid compared to divx ? Like you said just to update a codec is not a problem but groups starting to ignore people with lower CPU speed for nothing is smething to complain about.

There are obvious improvements in the quality of the encode over xvid which befit the quality of the original region 2 source.
Does have someone complained about the quality of the xvid releases to just chage to h264 in the middle of a running project to make people download mixed encoded stuff ?

d) h264 is the way of the future and you will see more and more groups using it.
I'm just happy about the grous who'll wait to make it possible for all people to watch their releases.

e) If you want to play it on your xbox either run it through a converter or you could aways support the anime's original makers and buy the region 2 DVD's :D
Or just keep on encoding with xvid and not give peole the best possible source to give them no reason to buy the original DVDs ? Oh, and i've bought the original R2 DVDs :P

...but it's ok with me. I'll just convert the files to xvid in order to have the same 13 files for this series. I can understand if a group start a series from the beginning using a new codec but it's not a nice to just do it in the middle of a series.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 04:07:34 am by Thorgal »

Offline Hybridchild

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2005, 04:31:59 am »
I can understand if a group start a series from the beginning using a new codec but it's not a nice to just do it in the middle of a series.

I have to agree, personally i dont see a point in using h264 but its the groups choice  and i respect that i just dont download h264 encodes becasue i cant play them and thus far that hasnt been a problem but i've been watching Space Symphony Maetel since the first eps where subbed last year and i was looking forward to the next ep but because of the switch i cant watch it anymore.

Its one thing to not be able to watch a show by a certain group but when the only group subbing a show makes a change that means only only some of  their fans can finish the show when alot of them can't it is very disapointing to those that can't.

I dont know if you have noticed but most groups that have made the switch have either finished their on going projects in Xvid/Divx or made dual releases while finishing older projects and i hope you will consider doing the same for the sake of all those fans that have been enjoying your projects thus far but can't play h264 encodes

Offline EduHed

• n00b Hero
  • Gaack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2005, 05:31:44 am »
While I don't mind getting a new codec to view fansubs, especially for a series as cool as SSM, my best source for quality codecs (sourceforge.net) still has the h.264 codec listed as a "level 2 pre-alpha version", suitable for developers only. Can somebody suggest a better source for downloading this codec so I can get my Maetel fix?
Madoka is awesome, worship her!

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2005, 11:58:57 am »
Is there some new codec I need to download for this file?
I am using Media Player Classic 6.4.8.4 and ffdshow Aug 22 2005.
It won't play on the PC, but my pig can play it on his PSP with the 2.0 firmware update.

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2005, 12:42:51 pm »
You misunderstand. We're using original Region 2 source for SSM. The encoder made lossless VBLE filter raws and then encoded straight to h264. If you'd seen the TV rips that were available for Maetel I think you'd see there was NO way even with avisynth filtering that the encodes are like how they are now. The TV rips were BAAAAAAAAAADDDD.

Secondly h264 doesnt need a lot of CPU power. One of our QC'ers is running on a p3 800mhz machine and can play h264 encodes just fine :D. Oh by the way xvid does kinda need a good CPU too. 1ghz+ recommended but I've known people with p3 600's play xvid fine.

As far as the codec itself is concerned. ffdshow will work quite happily. Just make sure when you install it you only tick the x264 decode option nothing else.

By the way. Just for interest even *I* couldnt' play h264 at first and I'm an encoder for Yawara and Sailor Moon Musicals. However I made the effort to update my codecs and with less than 20 minutes work I was playing h264 fine. Oh and I dont exactly have a speed machine either, a Sempron 2800. I'm playing Maetel as we speak using MPC WHILST encoding some vobs in CCE. So its not THAT cpu hungry ^_^;;;;.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 02:03:51 pm by gumbaloom »

MCMXC

« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2005, 01:43:11 pm »
Hi, I have another kind of problem...it's OK with video, but...no audio at all^____^;;;

Jedi-Master-Yoda

« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2005, 05:31:07 pm »
try another media player, such as VLC or MPC, Zoomplayer works also.  Audio is just normal mp3 that i have used for previous 5 episodes of the series. >: x

Dedef

« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2005, 06:07:50 pm »
If you have trouble with audio, upgrade your matroska splitter.
I used http://mirror01.x264.nl/x264/MatroskaSplitter.exe and no more audio problem now.

Offline Love_Eun_Hye

• n00b Hero
  • @ Anime - K PoP @
    • View Profile
    • www.RacingWeb.Net
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2005, 06:41:40 pm »
I have only sounds but no picture. :P

Anyone knows which Codec is needed to watch it?

ps : My current one is the latest FfdShow. ???

Offline Lady_Bell

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2005, 07:21:05 pm »
I've spent all morning trying to get the newest file to work, playing with codecs, adjusting players, etc. and have pretty much given up hope.  Despite what a few people have implied, getting this to work isn't as simple as downloading a new codec and voila.  While I have no personal objection to the group deciding to switch to h264, it's does seem a shame to switch in the middle of a series (especially one that no one else is working on), because I have to imagine that I'm not the only person who's now stuck.    :'(

Please don't switch Snow Queen over to this as well!

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2005, 07:48:36 pm »
Evidently Media Player Classic and ffdshow alone are not enough; when the file is opened MPC just sits there and does nothing.  I guess this is a PSP-only release.