Author Topic: Translation advice for Space Symphony Maetel  (Read 11270 times)

MarcoPolo

Translation advice for Space Symphony Maetel
« on: October 02, 2004, 04:33:46 pm »
first of all I just gotta thank you guys for picking up the series and doing a great job translating it. However, I just couldn't help but noticing things like "Maetel-sama" or "Prometheium-sama'' popping up during the show. The sama suffix really looks out of place, because it's a space opera show, not some japanese historical drama. I think "Lady Maetel" or "Lady Prometheium" would make a much better choice and fit into the universe more fittingly. I remember back then some person suggested using "madam" or "Mrs." instead of "-san" for women on Rose of Versailles, and the exact same principle should be applied to Space Symphony Maetel. What do you guys think?

Offline greenkabbage

• Rakuen Hero
  • leet title that I paid $100 for: -=LE=- Translator
    • View Profile
Re: Translation advice for Space Symphony Maetel
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 09:13:36 pm »
i agree, the japanese suffixes should not be taken into the translation. in my opinion that's lazy. >_> I mean sometimes there might not be a perfect equivalent but hey, that's the english language's fault, not ours. so drunk....
Well on my way to 100! (Ever so slightly out of date)
14 x Wolf's Rain
26 x Gilgamesh
09 x DAQ
03 x GE999
02 x Phantom
05 x Blood+
05 x Gallery Fake
04 x YUA:FT

Offline Spymon

• Maetel Hero
  • Still here...
    • View Profile
    • Contains Spoilers
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 12:38:02 am »
I've been following the lead of the two translators here.  A lot of the time trying to anglicise things sounds really awful.  Maetel is quite a grand series so for me sticking with the Japanese is ok.  Also I hate overly wordy dialogue in my subs and that is my primary consideration when editing.  In addition I also wanted to keep a consistancy with the l-e subs that had come before this one as changing style makes these things all the more yucky.

DAQ is a good example where it's hard to get away from the Japanese unless you go all the way.  Dan-sensei is fine, but to put it into English would be Mr. Morihiko anything else would sound awful.  However, Mr. Morihiko lacks the informal manner with which the children interact with Dan.

Thanks for the feedback and I guess one of the joys of fansubbing is that you can make your own conventions.

/me hands GK a good strong cup of coffee.

Dissection, Experiments, Unfortunate Accidents

Offline crypticgimp

• Death God Hero
  • wOOt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 02:01:45 am »
i actually like the use of sama in maetel seeing as that she is queen..so i guess its a matter of preference here
"Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
I AM queen of underwire!

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 08:29:25 pm »
We generally don't try to adapt the translation to the particular show to the universe, just translate what is said.  

[spoiler alert??? don't know but best to be safe]

People watching know what the suffixes mean, we don't need to transliterate it... generally people do not walk around calling mechanizations 'lady', if you had a real living pet you might refer to it as 'lady' but if you had one of those Aibo or other mechanical pet or toy, it is sexless, calling it 'lady' would be disfunction on your part.

MarcoPolo

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 09:28:36 am »
It's pretty clear that the characters wouldn't refer Maetel/Promethium the same way you do with Aibo  ;) The use sama as an honorific to denote respect, not mechanization or whatnots  ::) Misunderstanding on that part or what?

Offline Spymon

• Maetel Hero
  • Still here...
    • View Profile
    • Contains Spoilers
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 12:58:13 am »
It's easier to keep the originals when translating into English doesn't have the correct feel.   The joy of fansubs is that you make your own rules and you can always add a translation note if needed.

Dissection, Experiments, Unfortunate Accidents

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 02:16:56 am »
It's pretty clear that the characters wouldn't refer Maetel/Promethium the same way you do with Aibo  ;) The use sama as an honorific to denote respect, not mechanization or whatnots  ::) Misunderstanding on that part or what?

A mechanization doesn't have a gender, a computer or a robot is neither male or female, hence it should not be addressed as 'lord' or 'lady' no matter how much it is respected.  

There is just too much variability on the subject for this reason, www.paranoia-live.net (absolutely no relation to live-evil) is a good example, despite its greatness the computer it is never addressed as 'lord' or 'lady', yet the computer is irrefutable and perfect in every respect.  It is simply addressed as 'friend computer' or FC for short.  Only a 'bot with a personality module would refer to another 'bot using mi'lord or mi'lady, and our release is aimed at humans, not 'bots.  There aren't really any circumstances where a human would refer to a 'bot as mi'lord or mi'lady, even if the bot had a personality module that was male or female.