Author Topic: top hated books  (Read 31904 times)

Offline crypticgimp

• Death God Hero
  • wOOt
    • View Profile
top hated books
« on: October 02, 2004, 09:17:54 pm »
hey you know how everyone does their most favourite books list? well i want to know what you have read that was terrible..amde you writhe in pain, gouge your eyes out...you get the picture...

i'll start with nathaniel hawthorne's the scarlet letter
billy budd by herman melville
cold sassy tree
the pearl by john steinbeck
of mice and men by john steinbecki am sure there is more but this is a starter now post people post!
"Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
I AM queen of underwire!

KillJoy

Re: top hated books
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 09:27:08 pm »
The scarlet letter was so up there.  Though I found you could read the first line and last line out of the paragraphs since everything else was discription.  Made it a much faster read.  I see him now screaming, "Must pad the short story"

I have to say and I know I'll get roasted for it, ANY James Joyce novel.  Someone that gets into the world record book for longest run on sentence should not have had a successful book.  I got 10 points taken off papers for one line that needed a comma.  That is un far, I could have been the next prick writer that snows people into thinking he is cutting edge.  Ohh lovely to know some guy wrote a book that busted Joyce's record.  I still hate Joyce for getting published.

Offline crypticgimp

• Death God Hero
  • wOOt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 09:34:47 pm »
lol my friend would hurt you for that but i havent read any of joyce to form a decent opinion (last post i swear). but hawthorne just loves tor ant about how clever he is in the scarlet letter with all his run on scentences and fragments and omg DIE HAWTHORNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I AM queen of underwire!

KillJoy

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 09:38:21 pm »
the great thing about books if you don't like them don't read them.  In like the radio where people can crank it  up and share music you don't like with you, books are more of a quiet thing done through your own effort.

Offline crypticgimp

• Death God Hero
  • wOOt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 09:41:00 pm »
i agree (ahahaha i LIED) but the scarlet letter, and all the other ones i mentioned, were for school so i HAD to read them.  plus i have this thing that once i start  something i have to finish it.  oh i forgot to add daphne dumaurier's rebecca.  that book i  havent finished and it took me 5 years to get past chapter 1
I AM queen of underwire!

KillJoy

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2004, 09:46:12 pm »
Dune is the book I always think I want to read, but keep dropping after a chapter or so for a year or two.  I keep thinking I'm just not in the mood to suffere though a long winded book or something.  I really want to enjoy the story because I've known forever that it is a much better story than the movies etc.  But..  I can't do it. Maybe I was never meant to read something that challenges me.

Offline mikala

• Rakuen Hero
  • i wanna be an hero :o
    • View Profile
    • Mikala's Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2004, 12:44:50 am »
dune is really good :/
Jabber ID : mikala@jabber.littleboboy.net

KillJoy

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 02:31:45 am »
I keep hoping it is I just never seem able to invest that kind of time in a book

Offline crypticgimp

• Death God Hero
  • wOOt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2004, 03:11:00 am »
i like dune..my dad has the whole series and i would take it from him and read (much to my mother's chagrin) it is challenging but i like the challenge
I AM queen of underwire!

KillJoy

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2004, 04:21:46 am »
I like challenges as well but I guess the problem is people already told me the story so it is hard to sit through what you already know?

Offline crypticgimp

• Death God Hero
  • wOOt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2004, 06:01:01 am »
i understand that one but still..its nice to read it for yourself!
I AM queen of underwire!

KillJoy

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2004, 06:23:12 am »
aaah I know a book I hated to read.  Any instruction manual written in French by someone that spoke Eskimo.  I find most instruction booklets have this level of skills uses to make them VCR DVD-R recorders etc. all those things tend to have these same books.  Most of the time the instructions are for a different model if they are in english at some place in the booklets.

Offline crypticgimp

• Death God Hero
  • wOOt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2004, 10:51:05 pm »
is that why men dont read instruction manuals? :P
I AM queen of underwire!

KillJoy

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2004, 11:21:53 pm »
I always thought they said Destruction manuals.  An Instruction manual would be more useful.

Offline crypticgimp

• Death God Hero
  • wOOt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2004, 02:19:15 am »
hehe my eyes always glaze over when i see how thick they are..especially for things like calculators and cell phones...
I AM queen of underwire!

KillJoy

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2004, 02:49:02 am »
then again you know food comes with warnings on the box "for internal use only" so you start to wonder HOW MUCH  you have to explain to the youth today to keep them from screwing up.  Honestly if you can't figure out to eat your food instead of shoving it in other areas... you might not be able to read either.

Offline crypticgimp

• Death God Hero
  • wOOt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2004, 02:56:30 am »
lol but notice how some warnings like "do not turn upside down" is printed on the underside of the box?  but you're right some things just shouldnt have to be explained..
I AM queen of underwire!

KillJoy

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2004, 08:16:07 pm »
I was cooking dinner when the fire chief had to point out something to me a little later on.  When the cook book said, "Put oil on the bottom of the pan"  it really means "INSIDE".

I figured it was for reducing friction or something.

^
Another example of how house fires start.  A little bit of knowledge is a terrible thing in the hands of a consumer.

Offline bobby6

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2006, 10:01:50 am »
  The worst book I ever read was definately my trigonometry textbook. Probably the largest contributing factor in why I didn't take most advanced math after that.
"<YaoiBoy> hi guys
<YaoiBoy> nice job getting DN out
<Blue_Mage> I think I might be addicted to the ending song...
<Blue_Mage> It's so pretty."
ROFL ;D

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
  • *L-E Staff* *Translator/ tlc/ newb typesetter*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 11:35:31 am »

Most recently.
Barron's SAT II Subject Tests Physics (read three chapters and gave up) and Math II (read three pages and gave up even though it was the only prep book I had) >_>.
They [CENSORED] [CENSORED] totally.
I mean wt $#(*$@@ do they mean? I had a hard-time believing they expected High School people to prepare from that [CENSORED]. Wish someone had told me how hard it sucked before I spent my $$$ on it. If my Physics test didn't go as well as it should've, it's because of this [CENSORED].

Anyways, my top 10 worst list:
1) The Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (I hate any of his work except the ones that were made into musicals like Oliver)
2) Barron's SAT II Math II
3) Mathematics II by L. Harwook Clark
4) Mathematics III by L. Harwook Clark
5) This series my Grade 5 teacher use to read to us in class, I don't even remember the name heh
6) A New Certificate Chemistry by Lambert (O Level Chemistry book)
7) New English by Rhodri Jones (O level English book)
8) Barron's SAT II Physics
9) A level Mathematics Mechanics M3 (or it might have been the teacher who taught it).
10) O level Mathematics by L. Harwook Clark (ok, I generally do dislike his books)

There.

-Tsubasa

22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432
22:03 Mamo-chan: :O
22:06 Tsubie-chan: kaawaii

Offline keepergirl

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2006, 06:30:22 pm »
nathaniel hawthorne's the scarlet letter
Agreed on that one!

Others I've hated:

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.  I had to read this for school ages ago, and found it to be horribly boring.  So I bought the Cliffs Notes to try and not have to read the book, and even that was ridiculously wordy.  As I got older, though, I wondered if I was unduly harsh on Dickens, so I tried reading A Tale of Two Cities.  Didn't get very far before I decided Dickens just wasn't for me.

A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway.  I'm not really sure if this book should fall on my most hated list, because after reading it I felt absolutely nothing about it.  I still didn't care about the characters.  They all could have died in the first two pages and I wouldn't have cared.  I just felt like this book offered absolutely nothing-  no plot, no interesting characters... nothing.  In fact, I just googled for a summary of the plot, to make sure I accurately remembered what it was about.  The first five chapters are summarized in four sentences, in which the biggest action is a kiss.  That's just how exciting this book is.  Regardless, I've grown to hate the book and I resent the fact that I had to read it over my summer vacation from school.  :P

I know Steinbeck's The Pearl was already mentioned.  I have to give Steinbeck some credit though- The Pearl was blissfully short.  If all crappy books we had to read were that short, I wouldn't mind so much.

Hmm, I think there was another book I wanted to add to the list, but I can't recall what it was...

I did want to mention that I really enjoyed Daphne DuMaurier's Rebecca.  My sister had that book and gave it to me, and I found after the first few chapters it started getting much, much better.

Offline mamochan

• Rakuen Hero
  • Ayukawa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2006, 11:55:16 pm »
I don't hate books :)

Tsubasa why are you listing Math textbooks? Those do not count.
DVD Backlog: Galaxy Angel (all of them), GITS: SAC, Juuni Kokki, Last Exile, Master Keaton, Rurouni Kenshin TV, Saber Marionette J, Saber Marionette J Again, Saber Marionette J to X, Slayers (The), Slayers Next, Slayers Try.

Offline Masakari

• kl33my Hero
  • Scourge of the Matsumoto Division (FLAME!)
    • View Profile
    • Live Evil
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2006, 12:38:00 am »
Tsubasa why are you listing Math textbooks? Those do not count.

Cuz she's a counterfiet AZN and Jealous of REAL AZNZ. Everyone knows REAL AZNZ do well in math and get high paying jobs as a result - I.E. it figures she would hate those books.

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2006, 12:43:20 am »
For your information Masakari, I scored the highest in the World in O Level Pure Mathematics (which is far advanced than any College-preparatory Mathematics curriculum in the US) and a 95% average on General Mathematics. In addition to that, scored perfect scores in 5 out of 9 of my Mathematics papers in A levels with a mark of 97-99% on the rest of the papers. I also got 296/300 without any preparation in AS Physics. This is the reason why I know which books actually suck when it comes to Math.

Mamo, bobby's was also a trigonometry book. Since she listed Math, I listed it too.

Plus it's not any of you who decides what to post and what not to because this is not your thread.

-Tsubasa
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 12:49:51 am by Tsubasa »
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432

Offline bobby6

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2006, 06:56:44 am »
For your information Masakari, I scored the highest in the World in O Level Pure Mathematics (which is far advanced than any College-preparatory Mathematics curriculum in the US) and a 95% average on General Mathematics. In addition to that, scored perfect scores in 5 out of 9 of my Mathematics papers in A levels with a mark of 97-99% on the rest of the papers. I also got 296/300 without any preparation in AS Physics. This is the reason why I know which books actually suck when it comes to Math.

Mamo, bobby's was also a trigonometry book. Since she listed Math, I listed it too.

Plus it's not any of you who decides what to post and what not to because this is not your thread.

-Tsubasa

Yay! math sucks!  ;D Well, i know you like it Tsubasa, but I think is sucks. :D
"<YaoiBoy> hi guys
ROFL ;D

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2006, 07:00:12 am »
For me Math, Japanese and Physics are the only subjects you can get away without any preparation before tests.
Why no preparation?
Well, I hate the prep materials so...  :P

-Tsubasa

Offline Larry

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2007, 11:58:53 pm »
Das Kapital
If you want to criticize someone you should first take a ten mile walk in their shoes, because when you then criticize them you are at a safe distance from them and you also have their shoes.

Offline Michael

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2007, 12:35:20 am »
Hemmingway books in general... however I did like Hemmingway's A Farewell to Arms... but I'm a sucker for romance so ya.

Offline Riza

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2007, 01:34:03 am »
Daisy Miller by Henry James.  The most waste of a time book ever. There is no point to it. It's just about this girl and all the guys she flirts with then randomly dies at the end.

I like Hemingway's writing style, but the only one of his works I've read is The Old Man and the Sea, which was rather interesting. It wasn't great, but the symbolism and irony of the whole situation wasn't lost on me.

And math prep materials are annoying. If I were allowed to, I'd be listing math textbooks too. I'm just a little above average in math, and I don't really like the subject. My reading comprehension scores are always at the top of the charts in SAT, ACT, and FCAT, so I'm not completely talentless. And I can hold my own in science, for some strange reason.
I ought to put my money where my mouth is and become a QC for LE, but I know that I'm about to have a lot of responsibilities soon, and I'd rather not  let everyone down because I'm busy.

Offline kayryn

• kl33my Hero
  • Life is just.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2007, 10:46:47 pm »
I dunno if everyone went crazy about them everywhere else, but inEngland, everyone was obsession about the dan Brown books, like da vinci Code and Angel and Demons, so I thought I'd give them a try.

I got about ten pages into Angels and Demons and gave up. The writing style was so dull and informative, rather than descriptive. it was like reading stage directions, so it's been sitting on my shelf ever since. My dear friend Ruth (may she rest in peace) also agreed with me, as did my sister and mum. Though one of my other firends, ill-informed as she is, has claimed The Da Vinci Code to be the best book ever.

So all Dan Brown books, pretty much
I never know what to put for these things....

Offline Blue Mage

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2007, 11:07:59 pm »
I don't know, I rather liked Angels and Demons. The DaVinci Code was tolerable but the ending was pretty bad.

I have to say, I recall some teenage horror I really hated. R. L. Stine and Christopher Pike for the most part. Oh and a series called the Runelords by David Farland. That man should not be allowed to write.
My mind is like a sieve. It retains all sorts of interesting bits and lets the important stuff flow straight through.

Offline DeadAlready911

• kl33my Hero
  • Very Dead, Very Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2007, 03:58:55 am »
The bible and most religious text.

Offline mamochan

• Rakuen Hero
  • Ayukawa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2007, 04:09:35 am »
Dead, did you know that some guy got arrested for placing all religious books in the fiction section of a library.

Anyways.. back on topic <_<

Most hated book:

Any book related to Taxes >_>
DVD Backlog: Galaxy Angel (all of them), GITS: SAC, Juuni Kokki, Last Exile, Master Keaton, Rurouni Kenshin TV, Saber Marionette J, Saber Marionette J Again, Saber Marionette J to X, Slayers (The), Slayers Next, Slayers Try.

Offline jmr

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2007, 12:08:51 pm »
over the last few months i read all the Sword of Truth series
the first 5 books were ok but after that i started hating them
but when i start reading something i have to finish
theres gonna be one more book then thats it thank goodness

* Debt of Bones (2001) prequel
* Wizard's First Rule (1994)
* Stone of Tears (1995)
* Blood of the Fold (1996)
* Temple of the Winds (1997)
* Soul of the Fire (1999)
* Faith of the Fallen (2000)
* The Pillars of Creation (2001)
* Naked Empire (2003)
* Chainfire (2005)
* Phantom (2006)

Offline bobby6

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2007, 08:30:09 am »
over the last few months i read all the Sword of Truth series
the first 5 books were ok but after that i started hating them
but when i start reading something i have to finish
theres gonna be one more book then thats it thank goodness

* Debt of Bones (2001) prequel
* Wizard's First Rule (1994)
* Stone of Tears (1995)
* Blood of the Fold (1996)
* Temple of the Winds (1997)
* Soul of the Fire (1999)
* Faith of the Fallen (2000)
* The Pillars of Creation (2001)
* Naked Empire (2003)
* Chainfire (2005)
* Phantom (2006)

Interesting that you should say that... Actually, I feel rather similar about them. The later books just aren't nearly as interesting. They focus way to much on philosophical perspectives of the author and far too little on actual plot movement.

I have forgotten what in particular Soul of Fire was about, but the last book I can even remember liking was the one about the plague, which I'm thinking was probably Temple of Winds.

So yeah... The first few I enjoyed immensely, the later ones have made me sad that the series keeps continuing. Kind of like the Wheel of Time series... it just never ends!  :P
"<YaoiBoy> hi guys
ROFL ;D

Offline Blue Mage

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2007, 03:18:45 pm »
Except that Terry Goodkind has promised an ending. I think Phantom is the first book in the final trilogy of the Sword of Truth books. Of course I'm not entirely sure since I've only read the first five or so.
My mind is like a sieve. It retains all sorts of interesting bits and lets the important stuff flow straight through.

Offline bobby6

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2007, 06:10:29 am »
Except that Terry Goodkind has promised an ending. I think Phantom is the first book in the final trilogy of the Sword of Truth books. Of course I'm not entirely sure since I've only read the first five or so.

Excellent! So you should quit now while you are ahead and still like the series.  ;)
"<YaoiBoy> hi guys
ROFL ;D

Offline Blue Mage

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2007, 03:11:28 pm »
Excellent! So you should quit now while you are ahead and still like the series.  ;)

Done and done.  :P

Offline jmr

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2007, 07:22:55 pm »
at the end of phantom it says
Be sure to look for the next and concluding book in the Sword of Truth series.
so im sure theres only one book left "Yippee"