Author Topic: Problems with Dr. Rin ep.4 playback  (Read 9052 times)

Shiroi

Problems with Dr. Rin ep.4 playback
« on: March 14, 2005, 06:14:03 am »
I just downloaded latest Dr. Rin episode and I unfortunately noticed that the file cannot be playbacked with normal Dvd-players with Mpeg4 support. First three episodes are working well, but this latest one freezes after few seconds when trying to play it. I’m just wondering why this episode does not work, although episodes 1-3 works well. I tested file with two different players. Anyway I wish that forthcoming Dr.Rin episodes will be able to playback also with Dvd-players.

Offline Tofusensei

• Admin
  • Rakuen Hero
  • Believe in love.
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with Dr. Rin ep.4 playback
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 07:23:44 am »
Interesting. I wonder if it is because it uses b-frames?
You should try to convert it to divx5 or something w/ virtualdub :)
I didn't think anyone watched these on DVD-players without converting first :D

-Tofu
The alpha and the omega of Live-eviL.

Shiroi

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 02:00:23 pm »
I do not know what the cause is. I have seen similar problem with two other fansub groups releases; Triads Mahoushoujo Lyrical Nahohas episodes 9 and 10 and Nanimes Fullmoon wo sagashite episodes 17-20. Every else fansubs that I have are working fine with Mpeg4-Dvd-player. I have somewhat 100+ anime series in Mpeg4 (DivX/XviD) Dvds and all of them works well, excluding these. So really files do not usually have to be converted in order to playback these in Dvd-player that supports Avi-files!

Anyway I will also ask from Nanime and Triad what XviD preferences they have been used with these files. So that it can be solved what causes this problem and it can be prevented in future. I think that this will be in the future more relevant, because Dvd-players (and Dvd-burners) will become more and more common, and they also will be more sophisticated and Mpeg4 support will be default property. Thus it would be nice if you guys also like to tell me about your encoding preferences.

Shiroi

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 01:00:03 am »
I have identified problem considering Rin episode 4. It was that simple that most of the stand alone Dvd-players, that support Mpeg4 does not support XviD with QPEL or GMC, so QPEL causes the malfunction.

It would be super nice, if the upcoming Rin -episodes would be encoded without QPEL or GMC, so that all people (not just majority) could enjoy this great anime.

QPEL is Quarter Pixel
GMC is Global Motion Compensation
more details see:
http://www.gromkov.com/faq/conversion/xvid_options.html
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 07:00:37 pm by Shiroi »