Author Topic: Video on History of Fansubbing starring Tofusensei on ifc.com~!  (Read 13375 times)

Offline Tofusensei

• Admin
  • Rakuen Hero
  • Believe in love.
    • View Profile
Hi guys. Long time no post.

I am proud to say that I helped out in the making of a video for the International Film Channel on the history of fansubbing. It goes from the early days all the way to the modern bit torrent model.

Anyway, it's definitely worth watching either as a history lesson or a trip down memory lane. IFC.com is tracking the number of hits so if it get watched a lot they will commission more episodes! Please watch it and tell your friends!

Anyway, to watch the video is a little tricky. Please follow these instructions:

Go to ifc.com (if, for some reason, you have trouble getting into that, try ifc.com/news), click on “UNCUT ON DEMAND” at the top of the page. When the viewer pops up, click “pause” to stop the exceptionally loud promo, make sure it is on "all videos" then click “SERIES,” and then “SAMURAI 7.” The two episodes for “ANIME in the USA” are at the top of the menu. My starring role is in “Tapes from the Underground,” but be sure to check out “Eisenstein-Sensei” as well.

Enjoy! Please leave your comments~

-Tofu
The alpha and the omega of Live-eviL.

Offline bastard-sama

• Live Evil Members
  • Rakuen Hero
  • in the middle of nowhere
    • View Profile
Re: Video on History of Fansubbing starring Tofusensei on ifc.com~!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 06:33:05 am »
meh tofu.. if only you would put more effort into fansubbing now :D
The resident bastard.

Offline dragon300zx

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 08:16:33 am »
those were cool but we're still waiting for more dr rin and creamy mami.

Offline ladoga

• n00b Hero
  • what is this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 01:07:23 pm »
it's always fun too see faces behind these projects.

too bad episodes are so short. it's interesting, but hard to get much depth in such short time.

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
  • *L-E Staff* *Translator/ tlc/ newb typesetter*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 12:57:33 pm »
Oh cool! :o :o Can I directly download the episode from any site????  And is there going to be any more episode?
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432
22:03 Mamo-chan: :O
22:06 Tsubie-chan: kaawaii

Offline suzaku_nomiko

• Rakuen Hero
  • いとおしい人のために
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 03:48:16 pm »
That shoud be an intresting trip down memory lane.

Stacks of Laserdiscs, towering SVHS decks, wires EVERYWHERE!

and "which" one of these tapes did we record the master copy on and forget to lable?  :'( :'(
-resident Cat Girl of Live-eviL
Timer, encoder,Noob-Typesetter ,GM, Keeper of the claws of death by Kawaii!
Yasashii yoru ni hitori utau uta. Asu wa kimi to utaou. Yume no tsubasa ni notte.

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 04:08:42 pm »
~hahahahaha~
I guess you had to do a lot in your days. :(
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432

Offline Cheez

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 08:46:52 pm »
I just watched the videos and found them to be 5 minutes of fun!  I wonder if they will think about making a 'real' documentary (like in more than a thirty minute run) out of it, since what it's being talked about is an incredible cultural phenomena that not only has a huge fan base, but has also deeply influenced the look of certain American animation (in my humble opinion ;D )...

As with everything that changes perceptions, it has been spearheaded by a group of people who do it out of passion (some might call it obsession ;)) and not out for profit or to capitalize on the notion.

Thank you!

Cheez

« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 08:48:48 pm by Cheez »
"Puu! That's one of my 108 secret skills: Super Suction Power!" --Mokona--

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 09:53:05 pm »
American animation hasn't changed that much...still those round lips for females, voluptuos bodies, and queer way of walking...lolz.

Offline suzaku_nomiko

• Rakuen Hero
  • いとおしい人のために
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 10:01:09 pm »
I have lost faith in most American animation long ago. The bluk of it is mindless drivel mass produced for the brainless masses.
-resident Cat Girl of Live-eviL
Timer, encoder,Noob-Typesetter ,GM, Keeper of the claws of death by Kawaii!
Yasashii yoru ni hitori utau uta. Asu wa kimi to utaou. Yume no tsubasa ni notte.

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 03:11:10 pm »
I have lost faith in most American animation long ago. The bluk of it is mindless drivel mass produced for the brainless masses.

Really, I can't even understand why animators in America even bother to make such useless stuf >:(f...none of the people around me seem to enjoy them either.  Well, some of them are learning I hope, from Japanese animation art, plot, character designs, etc.

Offline Cheez

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 04:27:11 pm »
American animation hasn't changed that much...still those round lips for females, voluptuos bodies, and queer way of walking...lolz.

I understand the claims that you both make since a lot of the animation out there is so simplistic that anyone watching must feel their brain cells being massively zapped into oblivion, but with all due respect ;D my point is still valid.  I was thinking about shows such as Martin Mystery or Totally Spies or the greatly defunct Cybersix who follow (at least aesthetically) the better anime out there.  Now, I don't think these shows are the greatest thing there is, but if you have ever watched them you will see what I mean...

Having said that, I would like to go back to the topic in hand which is a documentary on the History of Fansubbing... Does anyone out there know if there are any made on the subject? (not including "Tapes from the Underground"  ;))  or any books for that matter....  I would greatly appreciate it!

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 05:57:04 pm »
I understand the claims that you both make since a lot of the animation out there is so simplistic that anyone watching must feel their brain cells being massively zapped into oblivion, but with all due respect ;D my point is still valid.  I was thinking about shows such as Martin Mystery or Totally Spies or the greatly defunct Cybersix who follow (at least aesthetically) the better anime out there.  Now, I don't think these shows are the greatest thing there is, but if you have ever watched them you will see what I mean...

Having said that, I would like to go back to the topic in hand which is a documentary on the History of Fansubbing... Does anyone out there know if there are any made on the subject? (not including "Tapes from the Underground"  ;))  or any books for that matter....  I would greatly appreciate it!

Never watched them?  Were they ever shown on Cartoon Network?

Offline Cheez

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 10:54:56 pm »
Never watched them? Were they ever shown on Cartoon Network?

I'm not sure, because we don't get CN here in Canada; however, if you want to check them out they are produced by Marathon which I think has its HQs in France.  Totally Spies is a US/France co-production.  I actually find this particular show quite funny... They feature the lives of 3 boy crazy teenage girls who must juggle saving the world, looking good, trying to get a boyfriend, etc... Sounds familiar?  ;D