Author Topic: Drifting  (Read 16731 times)

Offline thanong

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
Drifting
« on: April 22, 2005, 07:33:09 am »
Does anyone know how to really drift? I fell in love with Initial d for two reasons, the cars and the way that they enter and exit a corner. I can't try it because the US is into Hummers and SUV's and they block the road most of the time.

Offline Tofusensei

• Admin
  • Rakuen Hero
  • Believe in love.
    • View Profile
Re: Drifting
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 09:24:53 am »
If you'd drift in a congested area you probably deserve to be run over by a Hummer ;)

-Tofu
The alpha and the omega of Live-eviL.

Offline thanong

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 06:55:06 pm »
good point tofuensei.........good point......

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 08:40:46 pm »
My pig will drift around corners, especially when 'popcorning'.  It's the same theory as a car, his back legs leave the ground about halfway into the turn, but his body continues to swing around.  Sometimes he gets a little too excited going into the turn too quickly, and flips over, ends up on his back or even rolls over a few times.  I've seen a dog do the same thing, but pigs have the advantage of being lower to the ground (lower center of gravity).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 08:53:46 pm by Sindobook »

DashRattleWRX

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 07:35:57 am »
I can drift a little, but it's not exactly the same in an AWD car.  Drifting on tarmac is a little sketchy in my car because the only way I can break the tires loose is to enter a corner way too hot.. then I'm usually going 60-80mph and it scares the hell out of me because a slight over correction will cause the front tires to bite hard and whip the back end around.

Drifting on gravel/dirt roads is a blast.  All I have to do is hit the gas and turn the wheel.

If you want to learn more about drifting I recommend acquiring yourself a copy of the "Drift Bible".  Very informative, even if you don't get a chance to try out all of the techniques.

tesdall

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 08:30:26 pm »
Drifting on "tarmac" or asphalt is a little tricky in AWD cars, first off you seem to know the basics ( or a least a little via a dvd/vhs) to drift in an awd you need to shift the balance of the car...enter at a high speed then down shift to throw all the weight to the front so your tires get super grippy and that will usually pull you threw the turn..but then again thats not really drifitng thats power driving which is usually better for 4wd awd cars. but to drift all ya gotta do....is pull the e-brake ^_^ lock your tires up....wee...!

OfTheSin

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 09:36:27 pm »
You don't need to pull the e-brake for all cases.  In an FWD car, I would argue that it is almost necessary to use the ebrake to get the back end to actually pull itself out far enough to go sideways.  In RWD you can do many things to get the back end to start to slide.  Power overs work well, as they are on the easier side.  Simply put to my knowledge, downshift, brake into the corner, when you hit the apex slam on the gas and countersteer.  You can also feint and dynamic aswell.  There are many different techniques to drift, ebrake works for some cases, not all.

xXJackXx

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 07:31:36 am »
turn away from bend before bend, then turn quickly into the bend kicking the car our sideways.
Clutch Kick (no idea how this is done since i'm onli using handbrake to drift)
Lots of speed, turn into corner before corner hand brake, hanbrake off power on slide

Front wheel drive drift is a bit hard you need to get the car to start understeering (front wheels braking traction) you then handbrake to lock rears up then power on and hand brake off it should grip the fronts and slide the rear.

And powering on through a bend say in gravel is just power sliding
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 07:34:36 am by xXJackXx »

Offline hellbent

• Condor Hero
  • don't drift under the influence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2005, 02:56:15 am »
Listen kid,
First get a real Beater. Just a RWD piece of shit. that way if u crash it, u wouldnt cry over a 10g car. that how I started out. god did my first car look like crap when I was finished with it.
Secondly, dont ever ever ever do it on the street. If u do it on the street, I will personally find ur location just to come and bitchslap u. Go to Drift demo days at ur local track, or even AutoX. Generally I find it people are willing to help u out when u start.
Thirdly, forget about power-over, Feint, brake drifting. To hard when ur just starting out. Use the E-brake at first. As u continue to learn, u'll learn how the car transfers its weight, then u can start developing ur power-over, feint etc...
and dont use clutch-kick drift, Iam one of the few who didnt listen and fried my clutch in the first 2 weeks. Clutch-kick is only good for rain and sometimes snow.
Fourth, dont think the cars in ID are the only cars in the world. The AE86 maybe renown for drifting, but even to this day, I dont want one. Firstly its a tricky little car, secondly u wont find one in good condition, and their hard as hell to fix, if ur starting out. and last but not least, thx to the popularity of drifting, the prices of Hachis is at a stupid level. I just saw an ad for a 86 for 8000, for a POS 1986 with like 100HP max, Plus its real hard to squeeze any decent HP from the 86.
Anyway, Iam tired of typing, I'll post some more another day.
There are 2 things infinite.
Human stupidity and the Universe....Iam not sure about the universe.

xXJackXx

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 02:07:36 am »
the AE86 was made between late '83 to '87
And its price is so high because its so populare.
A.) Because of initial D
B.) Because its not a bad drift car with some modifications

Yeah it may not pump out much power stock but do some work to the engine and you'll be putting out power. Besides i know of people who drift there stock engine AE86's fine and then theres some that have supercharged AE86's and drift awsome.

ReMiXau

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 05:36:58 am »
as i posted on the id thread here is my drift team
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ReMiXau/ourgarage.jpgmine is the 180sx with a front bar :P

we compete at driftzone drift days and the drift nationals each year.
only this year have we really started getting into it and all the cars are comming togeather nicely.

as for the price on 86's
its a crying shame that we have reached such a point in drifting where you can charge a couple of grand in takumi tax on a rwd corolla. all these numb nuts that think they are the best drifters ever if they buy one yet never once come out to a track day.

when im on the start line at qld raceway i look up at the crowd and i see about 20 86's just sitting there being "posers" and giving crap to people on the track that spin out, yet if you ask them to do it, they give some stupid lame excuse or say they are "hardcore touge drifter for life!111"

i've got nothing against 86 owners(one of my teams mates has one with a 4agze in it as you can see in the pic) its just the "posers" that go along with that car.

sorry about the rant but i see so many e-drifters on forums they just start to get to you after a while lol

yoman

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 11:02:48 pm »
since here actually are ppl who do both (watch Initial D + do drifting in real life) i just wanted to take the chance to get slapped for my prolly stupid theory :D

Here goes my stupid theory (which may others already have posted but to be honest.. digging through ~110 pages of just a SINGLE THREAD is a pain in the ass, boardsearch available or not :p) ..

- Initial D , though its just an animated series, and therefor maybe well complete fiction, is correct as of the physics but not in the point of "human possible control over a car" (is there a techterm for that? :p)

Ive seen nothing which i would say from a noobs pov is completely impossible like "this just cant happen" , but imho its completely impossible to have such a DAMN control over a car w/o the help of any modern electronic shit.

Your opinions?
(and yes you may well laugh at/slap me, but ... pls answer :D)

greetings (and f5-mashing-on-live-evil.org-while-waiting for InitialD Ep16 )

yoman

Offline Raven_03

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 02:12:31 am »
 Well all I can say is is you wanna try to drift.. please...please... DONT TRY TO E-BRAKE IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING!! I saw couple of ..erm.. rokies tried to e-brake on a hairpin in the drift track session that I went to.. man you know what happened? well obviously not well he needs to re allign his camber..  all im saying is dont  depend on e-brake to drift. Here try this.. go to a drift session and watch and try to talk some people there and they'll teach you. better start off w/ a crappy car that cost like $1500 or lower or something that is cheap and you can wreck it.try to go high speed, brake hard and realease fast, and turn.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 02:15:58 am by Raven_03 »
our strength is shown in the things we stand for
our weakness is shown in the things we fall for...

Offline hellbent

• Condor Hero
  • don't drift under the influence
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2005, 05:04:06 am »
I dont know what ur saying, but brake drift as a first. Never heard of it.
Of course u dont use E-brake when theres a fucken pole coming up. U do it in an very open environment. Thats how I learned. Brake drift relys on knowing and feeling the weight of the car transfer. Brake drift is hard for someone whos never drifted before. And bout those guys who need alignment, who the fuck puts a hairpin in front of a pole. u sure u went to a real legal meet. Cause as far as I know, I usually go to big open field with no light poles around.  just cone killing going on.
Anyway as I said, get a POS car to play around in until u get good. Ive seen some people who have money saying they need 500HP, LSD. etcc... for fukes sake. u dont need that. Hell my car didnt have an LSD in the beginning to start with, and in my eyes it did good.
Just remember, never take it seriously, just go have safe fun out there.
There are 2 things infinite.
Human stupidity and the Universe....Iam not sure about the universe.

Offline Raven_03

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 12:40:58 am »
I dont know what ur saying, but brake drift as a first. Never heard of it.
Of course u dont use E-brake when theres a fucken pole coming up. U do it in an very open environment. Thats how I learned. Brake drift relys on knowing and feeling the weight of the car transfer. Brake drift is hard for someone whos never drifted before. And bout those guys who need alignment, who the fuck puts a hairpin in front of a pole. u sure u went to a real legal meet. Cause as far as I know, I usually go to big open field with no light poles around.  just cone killing going on.
Anyway as I said, get a POS car to play around in until u get good. Ive seen some people who have money saying they need 500HP, LSD. etcc... for fukes sake. u dont need that. Hell my car didnt have an LSD in the beginning to start with, and in my eyes it did good.
Just remember, never take it seriously, just go have safe fun out there.
man i didnt say anything bout pole.. yeah btw the brake drift thing its just to make then feel how it will turn not like the one that you do for racing. like sort of making it skid w/ an angle just to see how it feels.
our strength is shown in the things we stand for
our weakness is shown in the things we fall for...

DashRattleWRX

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2005, 09:06:48 pm »
I think it should be made clear that not all cars can handle the e-brake being pulled at speed without breaking stuff.  One should have at least some understanding of their drivetrain before they just up and pull the e-brake while the car is still in motion.

I would NEVER pull the e-brake to drift in my car because I would like to keep my rear differential in working order.  Rally cars have hydrolics that disengage the rear diff. automatically when the hand brake is pulled, but most cars do not.

I'm not saying it will destroy all cars.. I used to have a Volvo that I would pull the e-brake on to do 360s (of course after a while I snapped the cable and it quit working  :-\) but it didn't seem to harm any other part of the car.