Author Topic: Japanese Movies  (Read 34798 times)

Offline hostghost

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese Movies
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2006, 04:00:44 am »
Ok, I'm back again.
I've been on a bit of a Kitano rush these past weeks, well not really. But I have seen some of his films.
The one I wanted to mention today was one that I receive in the mail just a few days ago. "Hana-bi"

The story is that of a cop (Kitano) and his terminal sick wife. In frustration over many things, many that perhaps never is explained in the film, Kitano turns cold and overly brutal at his job. And after the shooting and paralyzation of his friend and partner he decides to make the best of the time he and his wife has left. In his own way he decides to rob a bank to take his wife on a trip around Japan, and we experience a man who acts instead of talks.
If I where to characterize this film one thing comes to mind. And that is the fact that all the characters in this movie are learning, they are all chanced and it is portrayed so naturally. So human.

The story might seem a bit cliché when you hear about it, but it differs from this totally and proves a special piece that truly affected me.
Now I am deeply in love. And this movie, hana-bi wich means fireworks, opened my mind to some of the feelings that makes up the whole experience of being in love. It is a true drama, actually a spectacular drama, of victory and defeat, of friendship and hate, of love and broken hearts. It has perhaps the most humor out of all the Takeshi Kitano movies I've seen, but you have to be able to see some tragical comedy. I never laughed, I don't laugh easily, but smiled a lot. And Takeshi once again makes me dig far into my perception of the human being. Watching this film is like having that true meaningfull conversation that we long for. That one conversation that support you, yet carry you forward at the same time. A conversation with a kind and wise man...

I hope some of you will watch and enjoy it.

PS: Here I add the imdb link to both "Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence" as I talked about earlier and "Hana-bi

-hostghost
"Hoping my two cents might be worth a dime"

Offline MrPhil

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese Movies
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2006, 11:46:34 am »
Ok, I'm back again.
I've been on a bit of a Kitano rush these past weeks, well not really. But I have seen some of his films.
If you haven't already seen Violent Cop, Sonatine and Brother yet then you really should, as they're awesome.

In Violent Cop, Kitano plays a character in the Dirty Harry-archetype. It's a gritty drama with dashes of dark humour. A strong directorial debut for Kitano.

Sonatine I'd say is easily the best out of three films. Joe Hisaishi's synth score is wonderful. Kitano plays a mob boss who is just sick of everything and who just doesn't care anymore.

Brother is great. It's about the true brotherhood of amongst mobsters.

BTW Boiling Point is garbage, do yourself a favour and skip it.

I have Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence. Great film.  The exploration of the clash between the two different cultures was very interesting. I've got Gohatto coming in the mail, the film where Oshima, Kitano and Sakamoto reunite.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 11:51:00 am by MrPhil »