Author Topic: Linux & Law was : Initial D 4th Stage comments...  (Read 9239 times)

Offline mikala

• Rakuen Hero
  • i wanna be an hero :o
    • View Profile
    • Mikala's Blog
Linux & Law was : Initial D 4th Stage comments...
« on: June 16, 2005, 04:01:22 pm »
I live in Australia too... And the copyright laws don't differ here as of the moment the free trade agreement came into effect with America. Their copyright laws apply here, just so you know :)

BUT, that does not mean the MPAA and RIAA and all those other CLOWNS (Haha!) can instantly get on your case about something, it has to first be okayed by the Australia legal chain of command (ASIO -> Federal Police -> State Police). This of course does NOT apply if you crack into a US BASED server and STEAL the information (There have been people stupid enough to do it), they just get a warrent via ASIO/Supreme court... And you're history :)

This is why I run Linux :D

what's the relation between Linux & MPAA ?
Jabber ID : mikala@jabber.littleboboy.net

EcAStiC

Re: Initial D 4th Stage comments...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 05:13:20 pm »
I live in Australia too... And the copyright laws don't differ here as of the moment the free trade agreement came into effect with America. Their copyright laws apply here, just so you know :)

BUT, that does not mean the MPAA and RIAA and all those other CLOWNS (Haha!) can instantly get on your case about something, it has to first be okayed by the Australia legal chain of command (ASIO -> Federal Police -> State Police). This of course does NOT apply if you crack into a US BASED server and STEAL the information (There have been people stupid enough to do it), they just get a warrent via ASIO/Supreme court... And you're history :)

This is why I run Linux :D

Anyway, on other things, actually related to Initial D, I've noticed lately that the curve of the anime story seems to be becoming more technical, as they go more in depth into the cars and how they operate and so on, for example the explanation of the difference between turbocharged and supercharged, stuff like that. Just makes me wonder what else they have in store for any continuation of the story, and if there will be any unique or interesting cars that come into the show/manga... Anyone else think so?

the free trade agreement consists of (in general not XXX page report)
-manufacutring
-agriculture
-investment related policies
-government policy relating to subsidised medicines
-givernment policy relating to culture and mimimun of local australian media (unimportant)
-other givernment policies (important)
** australia will adopt many US policies on intellectual property, patents and digital copyright, including extending the period for copyright protection from 16 years to 70 years from the like of an author.**

exactly what does america law contain... is initial d licensed here in aus?
and uh...as for the licensed stuff... wun mention... they have torrents running...

i doubt the australian givernment will be stuffed to do anything about this...it will be recorded in law...
but probably end up like drugs, even though heroin is illegal, the government was/is planning on building drig injection booth...

john howard and costello are too interested in the economy, australia growth is slowing down...i dun think they will be stuffed to file a lawsuit against every single dler...

ic ur use linux...must be a "ub3r 1337 h2x0r"
do u have shell account to go with it?
XD

Offline JC

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Linux & Law was : Initial D 4th Stage comments...
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 09:34:31 am »
Milaka: From what I've heard, the MPAA have started to use Microsofts MP10 copyright protection as a means of monitoring the files that you play through it... AOL was rumoured (briefly) to be implementing something similar with WinAMP (MP10 and WinAMP are the most common media players used under windows)

Ecastic: If Initial D is licenced in America, it's licenced here too... ALL AMERICAN LICENCED MEDIA... If you were to download something like Doctor Who, that's a totally different ballgame, since it's British licenced media, and it's laws apply here too, seeing we are part of the Commonwealth.

Just because something is licenced doesn't mean that torrents won't run... Look at Windows, MS Office, Over 10,000 other different types of LICENCED games, movies, music, TV series. And even then, before the US laws applied here, we still had extremely strict software laws. These were:

$150,000.00 fine PER copied (NON legal backup - It's completely legal to have one copy of original media that you own, provided you can show proof of purchase when asked) Movie, and/or 2 years jail.

$2,500.00 fine PER mp3/wav/aac/yadayadayada, unless you can prove that you own the CD that the digital media file came from, or you purchased it online (Again, need proof of purchase)

$4,000.00 fine PER copied music CD (Not digital media) sold to another party (This also gets covered under selling/receiving stolen goods)

As far as I know, with selling copied movies, it's twice the fine ($300,000.00 per media item), AND 6 months jail per item.

This was correct at the last time I checked, over a year and a half ago (When I had 11,000 mp3s - Damn HDD failure :(), and has probably changed now due to the new copyright laws (American ones) being enforced. The only major change is that businesses are now not immune to copyright laws (Before it was the practice of only the people actually involved being fined, now it's the company as a whole).

The Australian economy might be slowing down, but think about all the revenue that they'd make off enforcing this! Hell, the last three months has seen almost AU$2million in fines being passed down, most of them to stalls in Sunday Markets and the like (A 30ish year old woman got fined over $800,000.00 a few months back due to selling mp3/music CDs at the local markets, WA Police Computer and Information crimes department picked her up in a nice paddy wagon and took her away)

Hacker, no... Hackers are programmers, crackers break into computer systems... Common misconception :) I actually do construction work, and I do have a shell, it's every other TTY window that isn't running X Windows, or the other computers over the last two years that I've purchased (I'm buying another one soon and going to talk to Live Evil about using it as a dump server, since the place of hosting does not recognise US LAW :P)
"Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven" - John Milton, Paradise Lost

EcAStiC

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 05:50:50 pm »
http://www.mpaa.org/anti-piracy/index.htm

and in response to mikala's question about the link between linux and mpaa...
if there is any - my presumption is that it is if ur good (in a bad sense) with a linux and u dl illegal content, u wont be caught.

*sigh*

hmmm..if i remember correctly, people under the age of 16 are not able to be prosecuted by law...i am 16...where do i go?

but then again, all people under 18 will be treated as minors ^^

might crack the government will i still can XD (jk)

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 07:52:58 am »
Actually if you keep a pig or some other intelligent 'pet', tell the truth that it is the pig's computer / account and you never downloaded those files, nor do you police his internet usage.  Or maybe the files were there when you got the computer, or the computer was zombied by a virus / trojan and you never managed to clean it up, or you got the HD / computer off e-bay never took the time to look at everything on it, etc.  Just tell the truth, ie. that you are developing a new browser based on the idea similar to a TiVo's pre-emptive record where the TiVo records a program without user input based solely on viewing habits and similar programs watched.  Your new browser uses 'artificial intelligence' to automatically download files it feels you might want, but obviously it is a work in progress and still needs a great deal of fine-tuning.