Author Topic: PSP (.mp4) releases?  (Read 14533 times)

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
PSP (.mp4) releases?
« on: June 16, 2005, 07:00:35 pm »
Does anyone care for them?
~100mb 320x240 30fps that are made for playback on the PSP.
For a title like Mami with more fine detail than other titles it is ~110mb, for something like Tsubasa Chronicle, etc. (less fine detail) ends up being ~80mb.
Granted you can always re-encode from our release but it looks better if we do that from the original source, and I make the fonts a little larger so they are easily readable on the smaller screen.

Offline mikala

• Rakuen Hero
  • i wanna be an hero :o
    • View Profile
    • Mikala's Blog
Re: PSP (.mp4) releases?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 12:15:10 am »
psp ?
Jabber ID : mikala@jabber.littleboboy.net

Offline CooBlueDAB

• Condor Hero
  • To each his own, and I'm in my own universe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 04:03:19 am »
playstation portable
Kevin is awesome, worship him! (YES!)

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 04:52:17 am »
if people want to play movies on their psp so damn much they should just convert em themselves

i give this fad a year tops

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 02:45:34 am »
That's why we ask, I noticed some other groups doing it but without any real interest out there it's not worth the time. 

silver

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 04:29:17 pm »
If you are considering alternate distribution options, I would really like to see L-E release DVDsubber scripts, like the group We Suck. I regularily buy the R2s of series that I really like, and in general like the kind of shows that L-E translates, so I would certainly benefit from it, and I assume that many others would also.

Here's the web page:
http://www.darkwet.net/dvdsubber/News.asp

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 07:53:58 pm »
I think the only way we could legally do that is if someone licensed it in R1 and then asked for the scripts; otherwise the scripts themselves (in their entirety) are a derived work and I don't think fair use would permit it under the 'educational use' clause...

Also, I woke up this morning and the test release was made anyways, strange, I'm sure people will download it just b'cos it's there, I mean some people just collect releases on CD/DVD and never watch them, etc.

The small screen of the PSP might be an imparement for humans when it comes to watching anime, but according to our pig small animals have no such imparement -- the PSP screen to them is like the way a 72" flat-screen plasma TV would be to us.  Now he and the two other neighborhood pigs are all hooked on "Damekko Doubutsu", just what I need 3 pigs constantly gathering at my house and asking to use the PSP non-stop... sometimes you can give them carrots and they will go away for a while but then they just come right back... it's a real pain.  They can't even change out the memory stick themselves, just last night I was awoken for the second time in the middle of the night to change out the damn memory stick... argh :(

easykillsoft

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 08:39:31 am »
although I find it cool to watch movies and anime on my PSP... I really don't see the point in downloading ~100 mb just to watch it on that tiny screen... granted I did it a few times, but after about twice the coolness factor starts to wear thin.  And for portability, I'm more likely just to use PSP Video Express on something I already have if I want to show it off, so I don't really think its worth doing.

Breakdown:
Pros- Cool!, portable anime, uber otaku factor
Cons- small screen, bad outdoor lighting/glare, not near as cool by number 3 as it was with number 1, and you might as well still download the full size divx/xvid version anyway.

my vote goes for no.

Offline mikala

• Rakuen Hero
  • i wanna be an hero :o
    • View Profile
    • Mikala's Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 09:13:09 am »
i don't have a PSP so my vote goes for no.
maybe we can edit this topic as a pool ? :)
Jabber ID : mikala@jabber.littleboboy.net

silver

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2005, 04:38:14 pm »
>I think the only way we could legally do that is if someone licensed it in R1 and then asked for the scripts; otherwise the scripts themselves (in their entirety) are a derived work and I don't think fair use would permit it under the 'educational use' clause...

But how is that any different than the episode releases?

I'm no legal expert, but at least at my primary anime forum, people are strictly forbidden to even suggest watching fansubs, yet links to scripts (assuming there isn't anything against the TOS on the site) are fine. Also, scripts are inherently useless to anyone who does not own the actual product.

Still, I understand if you don't want to do it. It's your work, and there is always the risk of abuse (like the bootleggers stealing the scripts).

Offline Spymon

• Maetel Hero
  • Still here...
    • View Profile
    • Contains Spoilers
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 11:03:31 am »
I've been using Smart Movie to re-encode stuff for my phone for ages.  Handy for going travelling but otherwise not really worth it.

Dissection, Experiments, Unfortunate Accidents

FiercePook

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 09:06:56 am »
Back when I was working the main use I had for my PSP was watching anime on my breaks and lunches. Well, that and playing Lumines against my co-workers on occasion!

I didn't find the recoding process to be cumbersome enough to mind doing it myself, though.

Offline Hirvine

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
    • World of Shenja
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 10:42:01 am »
There exist programs which can convert many types, video and images to psp format.

Image: http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=MSSWIC2&Dept=tvvideo&CategoryName=tvvideo_playstation_PSPaccessories

Video:
http://www.pspvideo9.com/

Try them out, I couldn't cause I don't have it cause I can't buy it yet...

For manga, games and programs
Current program, Anime Manga Ost Manager at amo.worldofshenja.com, manage your backups!