Author Topic: chacha  (Read 23069 times)

sput

chacha
« on: October 13, 2005, 06:34:27 pm »
heh, someone else subbing chacha ;>

but i wonder, why did you use a vhs source while there are all 74 eps of it as dvd source raws on winny? :) [the quality is at least 2 notches better, both for the audio and the video - and also there's no giant black bar in the video]
it seems you used the scripts from script club... unedited? there's a shitload of errors in them o_O"
so eventually your encode turns out to be the same as the ones GroupeVirelai did back in the days, just with a higher resolution... which is a bit weird o.O

have you seen our (infidels!) try at doing chacha? we got the dvd source raws and we edited and styled the subs, and also translated the op and ed, made karaoke and quite a few t/l notes
we're short of releasing the 6th ep (we're primarily releasing to ed2k though, torrent only come in batches of 4)

you can get it here: http://a.scarywater.net/ardk/Akazukin%20Chacha%2001-04%20%5Bi!%5D.torrent or drop by on #ardk-fansubs on irc.chatsociety.net and /msg sput (i can dcc an ep to you too, faster than the torrent :>)

maybe you are interested in working together and continue releasing it together in HQ? we can always use some more ppl helping in typesetting and QC :D

regards,
sput
Editor/Proofreading/QC of infidels! :D

acrufox

Re: chacha
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 08:22:51 pm »
That's what I was wondering too as well, on winny all 74 episodes are available almost all of them DVD rips, you can tell they are DVD rips as well as in some episodes you can actually see the edges of some of the cells if you have a keen eye.

The quality is excellent and sourced from DVD. I have all 74 episodes personally in raw format if anyone needs a better video source.

Let me know :)
Acru
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 08:28:18 pm by acrufox »

sput

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 10:24:03 pm »
That's what I was wondering too as well, on winny all 74 episodes are available almost all of them DVD rips, you can tell they are DVD rips as well as in some episodes you can actually see the edges of some of the cells if you have a keen eye.

The quality is excellent and sourced from DVD. I have all 74 episodes personally in raw format if anyone needs a better video source.

Let me know :)
Acru

ye, we got all of the raws too (even keeping quite a few of them on my xdcc)

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 11:40:12 pm »
but i wonder, why did you use a vhs source while there are all 74 eps of it as dvd source raws on winny?
so eventually your encode turns out to be the same as the ones GroupeVirelai did back in the days, just with a higher resolution... which is a bit weird o.O
For these, our pigs are not 'subbing' or anything like that, they just capture existing VHS tapes with numerous devices like a DVD recorder or some kind of USB2 device from the ROC.  Most of the things you describe take time + real work..  the reason we do it this way to begin with is b'cos of the minimal amount of time + real work required.  We have pleanty of other projects to work on, no need add more work here, the only things we need people to check for is general quality and a/v sync and things we may be albe to fix if they are caused by encoding problems.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 11:41:55 pm by Sindobook »

sput

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 12:11:25 am »
so the subs were already on the video? :D

if so that means you are ripping the version of GroupeVirelai from those VHS (which itself was already made from a VHS rip)... that would explain the awful video and sound quality o_O
twice ripped & twice encoded from an analog source... i was told the already exisiting GV VHS rips look better in comparison and are not upscaled o.o"

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 12:42:26 am »
The tapes for chacha are at least 2nd generation, then the tapes themselves are 10+ years old so..., and chacha is one of the better tapes compared to things like chou kuseninarisou.
The term 'rip' came into use when people talked of 'ripping' the digital data off DVDs, the term most people use/used for analog sources is 'capture' or 'video capture'.  Eventually we are planning to move the pigs onto the task of improving the LD captures used by several of our projects, once we are able to select the best gear and processes for the task.

silver

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 01:33:00 am »
ye, we got all of the raws too (even keeping quite a few of them on my xdcc)

And I've got the actual DVDs  8)

sput

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 02:02:01 am »
The tapes for chacha are at least 2nd generation, then the tapes themselves are 10+ years old so..., and chacha is one of the better tapes compared to things like chou kuseninarisou.
The term 'rip' came into use when people talked of 'ripping' the digital data off DVDs, the term most people use/used for analog sources is 'capture' or 'video capture'.  Eventually we are planning to move the pigs onto the task of improving the LD captures used by several of our projects, once we are able to select the best gear and processes for the task.

well the thing is that you are actually just "reencoding" someone else's fansub :D to me that is a kinda weird thing to do... ah well nevermind :P the same content, just upscaled from 320x240 to 640x480 (which does not make the quality any better) - i'd at least give them some credit :]

if it's your plan to reencode all of it you can just download the original GV version in avi (available on boxtorrents for example) and upscale it :P it would probably give you a better result than taking it from vhs tapes for the second time (and it will take less time as well :D)

btw chacha aired on tv 1994-95, eventually GroupeVirelai did their version in late 99 to early 2000 (they captured the original no-subs vhs themselves afaik - the subs were made by even other people if i remember correctly), the tape you are using is at max 5.5 years old then :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 02:03:48 am by sput »

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 02:32:02 am »
The piggies capture at 480i right from the VHS source (NTSC), there is no upscaling / downscaling involved other than the standard IVTC stuff.  Who knows what the actual perceptual resolution is (for LD it is rated at ~425 vertical or so) but a 480i capture undoubtedly looks better than a 240i capture even with NTSC composite video.  As far as wierd things to do, it is very uncommon to have piggies in a group to begin with, but we do.  Regardless of what others say the piggies are here to stay.  I can't think of any other group that has piggies, I mean Animehelp had a bunny named Kinkin and elite-fansubs had a chihuahua named devilray and another guy in jpn had a bunny named Oolong and Animejunkies had a cow (forgot the name) and a turkey, those are the ones that come to mind; I can't think of any other group that has a pig, and even if they do I sincerely doubt their pig is as cute as ours.  And none of the other groups I can think above are still active today.

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 12:23:50 pm »
have you seen our (infidels!) try at doing chacha? we got the dvd source raws and we edited and styled the subs, and also translated the op and ed, made karaoke and quite a few t/l notes
we're short of releasing the 6th ep (we're primarily releasing to ed2k though, torrent only come in batches of 4)
I just saw this, if this is the [i!] group he is talking about.  The big problem with their stuff is oversharpening, thin black lines appear all washed out or blurred.  See if you can see the blackness in Shiine-chan's dark blue outfit to begin with... Hopefully it's just an encoder who's a bit overzealous when it comes to the sharpening filters and not an inherent problem with the source.  Or maybe it's not oversharpening but poor black-level, from looking at the final credits it seems like the black on the screen compared to the black in the subs -- it should be the same, but clearly during the credits the black on the screen is more of a dark gray compared to the pure black inside the subs.

The piggies really seem to like this particular anime, so we'll probably see more of it in the future anyways.  I think part of it is the general audio frequency, piggies have a different hearing spectrum then people and a kids show like this has a lot more high-frequency than low.  And it's got pleanty of animals than just humans, I guess.