Author Topic: galaxy railway  (Read 41867 times)

rasha

galaxy railway
« on: October 10, 2003, 08:18:38 pm »
wow! talk about an action packed first episode! it was sad too tho.  It seems like it'll be a very interesting series..but how do those trains get into space without any booster type things? :)

anyone else watch this yet?

MCMXC

Re: galaxy railway
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2003, 04:57:48 pm »
Yep. It's based on the old Matsumoto's "Galaxy Express 999", a long and EXTREMELY SAD anime.

The design of the father/captain and the fact of his eye are based on Matsumoto's Captain Harlock.

m.d.

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2003, 05:40:09 pm »
i'm not familiar with matsumoto's previous work, and i'm really not sure what i think about galaxy railways (yet).  the first episode was cool, but seeing steam trains fly through space seemed so odd that it was distracting :)  what happened at the very end of the episode really surprised me... i wasn't expecting that to happen!

rasha

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2003, 10:04:01 pm »
Yep. It's based on the old Matsumoto's "Galaxy Express 999", a long and EXTREMELY SAD anime.

The design of the father/captain and the fact of his eye are based on Matsumoto's Captain Harlock.

I THOUGHT the father/captain looks familiar! now I know why! heh thanks!

NewtonEwell

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2003, 02:06:59 pm »
To all the brave folks at LiveeviL and AonE;

Thank you for subbing and distributing Galaxy Railways!  This show has all the makings of a classic!  All my favorite Matsumoto themes:  Follow your Dreams; Never Quit despite The Odds; It's the Journey, Not the Destination... oh, and Bad-Ass Spaceships!^_^

I don't know what I can do to help with this project, but if there's anything I can do to keep it going let me know.  This show ROCKS DA HOUSE!  I eagerly await episode 2.

About the tech in the show:  Back in GE999, we found out that in this time (circa 29th century), engine and life-support technology far outstrip what we know here in the ancient past. Form no longer follows function, and energy generation is so great and cheap that spacecraft can be designed according to the owners' esthetics.

The Galaxy Express ships use special fields both for propulsion and life support.  The green glow around the trains as they enter atmosphere is the ionization caused by this "binder field".  It provides limited interia control (so the trains can take "curves" without breaking up), as well as defense ability (note that the enemy gunfire glances off the field, rather than the train itself).  The field effect also keeps a bottle of atmosphere around the train, so don't be surprised if somebody opens a window in the series...

In short, it's Matsumoto "black box" technology that requires going back in the stacks to get snippets of information (as I show my age by saying I've seen the GE999 series).^_^

Anyway, this show is DA BOMB, and it's got all the makings of the next Space Cruiser Yamato in popularity!  Domo Arigato Gozaimasu to L-E and AonE for bringing this show to us!!!

-Newt

Offline Spymon

• Maetel Hero
  • Still here...
    • View Profile
    • Contains Spoilers
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2003, 05:45:14 pm »
I really enjoyed this first episode, there are quite a few interesting themes as well.

Just to let people know, the orginal 'Galaxy Express 999' is featured in one of the greatest movies of all time.  It's called 'Sunless' and has a large section about Japan in it.  If you're a bit of a Japanophile and want  to check out some early 1980s styles and things then you have to see this film.

Dissection, Experiments, Unfortunate Accidents

subby

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2003, 01:46:19 pm »
Omg the first ep was definatly everything i could have hoped for.I love the wonderful classic designs and the father did look remarkably like Harlock too(YAY).My son had to watch it with me, and he was just amazed, he's kind of a morbid little guy but you can never underestimate the allure of steam engines and space to a young boy right? I just think it's fantastic I remember galaxy express and harlock as a kid you know and it's just really cool to see this new series.I'm already addicted i can't wait for more.

NewtonEwell

Re: galaxy railway episode 2
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2003, 02:28:17 pm »
So when does Episode 2 of Galaxy Railways come out?  I'm jonesin' for my fix of space-train action... ;D

Thanks!!!

theDAVE

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 01:32:49 am »
is this project still going on?

just wondering since the other new releases seem to be moving much faster....  not that i dont appreciate

but i really wound like to watch this series

digitize

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2003, 07:56:35 am »
Yeah, it's still going on, except a couple of episodes soon hopefully.

NewtonEwell

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2003, 02:11:35 pm »
Pleeeaazzze, oh pleeeaaazzze...

Give us our Galaxy Railways!  

Any idea of when they'll be up?  Tofu told me Monday (day before yesterday), but obviously that date's been pushed back.

Please, give us a sign!

-Newt

Offline Vash

• Rakuen Hero
  • Love an Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2003, 05:22:39 pm »
man I love the forums.
Ok guys, theres a chance in the next few days galaxy rails will come out. I am not sure what day it will be out but I will tell u this. Huge chance any day now thiw week.
So keep checking everyday.

Vash XD
Vash XD

NewtonEwell

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2003, 06:09:51 pm »
 Woo Woooo!!!!

Thanks for the update!  I'll keep a-checkin'!

I definitely second the appreciation.  You guys work hard to give us the good stuff!

Thx,

-Newt

theDAVE

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2003, 11:08:13 pm »
thanks for ep2 guys!

keep up the good work!

rasha

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2003, 10:21:29 pm »
damn this is a pretty depressing anime..everytime i think the worst has happened, something else happens that's just horrible! I'm anxious to see where it goes tho ^_^ looking forward to the next episode