Author Topic: Why so strict?  (Read 24929 times)

Yugami

Why so strict?
« on: October 21, 2005, 08:34:36 am »
So today I was on the Live-evil channel for the second time, the first time I was there was to download Blood+ ep1 last week. I go to the xdcc site and copy the messages to ask for xdcc lists from the bots, and of course as with many xdcc lists the message to request a file/list has a "(" right before it so I can't highlight the "/" in the message without highlighting other crap, so I highlight and copy everything but the "/" and prepare to type that in myself. Well, I did that then realized that I needed the list name, so I pasted again and typed the list name at the end...forgetting to type in the "/" on this paste. Well for that apparently I get immediately banned from the channel for good. Too bad.

I decide that it was only a stupid mistake and I want to go back in and try again. I also didn't know it was such a serious offense or I would've been more careful. I switch over to wireless internet and reconnect. I have just enough time to get an xdcc list before I'm banned again. I switch to a different wireless network (I'm on a college campus btw...) and am able to connect once again. This time for a bit longer, enough time to get the xdcc lists I was trying to get. I then see this message in the chat:

<Cadmere> msg L-E|MachineCommanderRobo xdcc list

I thought that was kinda funny because that's the exact same thing I did (except I actually had the list name which means I'm less of a noob), but this guy doesn't get banned for it. I then say:

> Oh shoot, Cadmere copy/pasted wrong you gonna ban him too?

Probably a pretty stupid thing to say, completely blowing whatever cover I might've had. I am then responded to with:

<Lumiere> Yay: I didn't see it
<Lumiere> therefore it never happened
* You were kicked by Lumiere (ban evasion == death... one more evasion and I report you to etg staff)

I tried to go on some friend's computers and connect (which I guess is an offense that == death) but to no avail. So apparently my whole school (University of the Pacific) is now banned from your channel. Whatever though, I doubt anybody else on campus would've used it anyways. Also, I would've been sharing the file on our school file sharing network so I'm sort of a bot I'd say. I guess I'll just have to wait for other groups to sub this. I'm sure they have admins that are a lot less egotistic than the one I encountered in this group channel. Sorry for my spam guys, It must have been such a big blow to the community considering I got exiled for it.

Oh, and I would get it off of BitTorrent but my school has it blocked.

Edit: Oh haha, just found out this is on baka-upload. Guess I won't need to be visiting your channel anymore anyways. Sorry about the spam...and thanks for the subs.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 09:22:35 am by Yugami »

Yugami

Re: Why so strict?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 08:47:15 am »
Oh, and just a suggestion, if you want to stop the "annoying" copy/paste issues then maybe you should do what other sites have done and have button that copies the line to the clipboard, or make it so the " /msg blahblah xdcc list " doesn't have any characters immediately before/after it. That might be a nicer and more effective way to stop most of the spam (including mine...).

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
  • Resident Sailor Moon Freak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 10:08:19 am »
Well I was asleep when this incident occurred but I can say the following -

1) Ban evasion is looked upon VERY dimly. Attempting to evade a ban only increases it's length. If you get banned for any reason wait a couple of hours before trying to rejoin.
2) I've removed the *.*@*.pacific.edu
3) The channel can be very frenetic and during times of major releases the level of control by chan ops needs to be increased to ensure that everyone leeches in an efficient manner and things don't get out of control.
4) I don't have the time / energy to main such leecher friendly XDCC list pages and neither does our website admn. That's why in mirc you have a status window eg the one that says enterthegame on it. If you're not a confident leecher and rely on copy paste then you should type all your commands THERE and not in the channel window. That way there is no risk of any accidents happening.

-gumbaloom
[16:35]  <Scaevolus> hey leechers have to expend lots of effort, it takes almost a dozen keystrokes to leech stuff
[16:37]  <Mamo-chan> go stroke goomb's ego plz
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> fansubbing is not about leecher ego stroking
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> it's about how much we jizz when w

Yugami

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 11:34:17 am »
Yeah, I really wouldn't normally try to get back on after being banned like that, but honestly I didn't feel bad because I got banned for such a retarded reason, esp. after seing somebody else do the same exact thing as me and not get banned.

Offline darnold767

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 01:55:38 am »
I am totally confused about the commands, the names and syntax are totally unintuitive.  There should be a simple process such as:

!list
!download <filename>

none of the /msg xdcc list  blah blah blah.

I don't even recognize these commands or formats and I have no idea what is right or wrong or why?

Could somebody tell me what are the correct commands to type to get a list of files and then the correct command to type to start downloading a file?

PLEASE ADVISE ME because I hate this ban situation. I have no idea what I did wrong, I just cut and paste and my window was killed before I could even see what I pasted.

Dave

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
  • Resident Sailor Moon Freak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 02:01:55 am »
www.kasshin.net

Go and read.

We have low tolerance towards hand holding leechers through leeching when there are plenty of internet based tutorials. IRC leeching is easy now aday's. Heaven help you if we went back to fserve distro :/

-gumbaloom
[16:35]  <Scaevolus> hey leechers have to expend lots of effort, it takes almost a dozen keystrokes to leech stuff
[16:37]  <Mamo-chan> go stroke goomb's ego plz
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> fansubbing is not about leecher ego stroking
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> it's about how much we jizz when w

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
  • *L-E Staff* *Translator/ tlc/ newb typesetter*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 02:30:21 am »
Haha, when I saw the title of this thread I thought my guy had created it but apparently not.  ;D
I'm pretty much an IRC nOOb with a sucking internet, if I can do the stuff properly without taking website help, let alone ask ppl around so can you. So give not up. *_*

-Tsubasa
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432
22:03 Mamo-chan: :O
22:06 Tsubie-chan: kaawaii

Offline darnold767

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 02:31:46 am »
www.kasshin.net

Go and read.

We have low tolerance towards hand holding leechers through leeching when there are plenty of internet based tutorials. IRC leeching is easy now aday's. Heaven help you if we went back to fserve distro :/

-gumbaloom

Don't be so arrogant. I already went to here:

http://ronin.soldats.net/

which was recommended on another thread on the forums.

I would like to make some comments to the customer service guys at live-evil.

First of all, everyone has been a newbie at one time or another right? ok.  Second of all, everyone that is not a newbie anymore, acts like they would rather read forums and answer questions from newbies through forums instead of posting some better instructions on the irc channels.  If the instructions were a little more clear on the irc channels, then you wouldn't have to keep repeating yourself on these forums.

How about putting some of these newbie how-to urls into the Topic or intro for the channel and a well written warning that is easy to understand.  I still have no idea what I did wrong to get banned because I simply cut and paste what was in the server list.  It actually seems kinda ridiculous if you think about it.

Thanks for the link. I will check it out.  In the meantime- what do I do to get unbanned?  I think getting kicked would have been more appropriate.  I had been in #live-evil before(several months ago) and successfully navigated the all the landmines and was able to download several episodes of Initial d stage 4.  Today, I get completely banned for who knows why???

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 02:57:52 am »
I perfectly agree with your everyone was a nOOb once thing and beinga nOOb myself think it's unfair and mean too. But when you get a bunch of people making the same mistakes even after you've written out your rules clearly and while some nOObs like me can clearly make sense of our bot list system, provided that most of our old @s are old staff with a short-temper and poor tolerance of nOObs, I guess a silly ban is not so inevitable. There would be @s like Bastard who hates nOObs (and lives upto his name) as we always warn and it's not that we're there retaining @s and idling for 'Customer Services'. Some of our staff do help, some just aren't tolerant enough. We have no saying in what another does since we got no definite fansub-founder/leader type of person like most other groups do, to rule over us. @s can do whatever they want, as written on the !rules.

Now let me paste what you did:

<Dave> !rules
<Dave> !list
<Dave> xdcc list Kyuu-chan
* Mamo-chan sets mode: +b *!*@64-142-68-238.dsl.dynamic.sonic.net
* Dave was kicked by Mamo-chan (no xdcc list read the topic next time lamer)

Whereas the my little rules script says:
Rules for #live-evil: 1) OPs are the power so they're always right. 2) NO a) @find/xdcc list, b) serving licensed stuff or mp3s, b) msging ops without prior permission, c) asking about release dates. 3) To get bot list, type !list. 4) Do not a) ask where to get where to get licensed material/raws b)insult our shows or the ops 5)Recruit--->pm Professor_Goomba or visit our forum ***Bot lists & descriptions at xdcc.live-evil.org

Now this is the maximum length that such a script can get and we have no space in the topic for listing help sources and such. Just know if you're not sure about leeching on #live-evil. visit the forums.

Try !list again and do what exactly !list is telling you. ~_~
-Tsubasa
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432

Offline Blue Mage

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 04:34:21 pm »
Just to point out one thing here...

Customer service?! You're not paying a bloody cent here. No one on the IRC channel is obliged to be nice to you. We're putting out subbed anime because we enjoy it and want other people to not because we're trying to make a profit.

We assume that if you can make it to the IRC channel, you can manage basic IRC commands. Which means there's vey little exucse or tolerance for those who can't manage it. It's not like this is a complex process.

If you can't manage IRC, hop on the torrent.
My mind is like a sieve. It retains all sorts of interesting bits and lets the important stuff flow straight through.

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 04:43:48 pm »
Yeah go to an old fansub IRC channel subbing something as popular as DN and getting 50k downloads where there's bound to be leeches flooding in. If they're tolerant enough, that'd be news. We're in the IRC channel to fansub and monitor the channel in general, not for Customer services.

-Tsubasa

Offline mamochan

• Rakuen Hero
  • Ayukawa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006, 07:46:14 pm »
Yea what they said. This isn't Walmart >_>
or Costco <_<

So screw being nice >:O
DVD Backlog: Galaxy Angel (all of them), GITS: SAC, Juuni Kokki, Last Exile, Master Keaton, Rurouni Kenshin TV, Saber Marionette J, Saber Marionette J Again, Saber Marionette J to X, Slayers (The), Slayers Next, Slayers Try.

Offline Vash

• Rakuen Hero
  • Love an Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 08:56:11 pm »
Mamo why u be hating against me.

ya the rules have gotten more harsh over the years. I do find its bs some days but there are alot of stupid things that happen.

If you copy and paste do it right
Dont ask when something is coming out.  It will be out when its out.
Show alittle respect and we show it back.

We were all noobs once.
most easest thing to remember
!list to see fservers and xdcc bots

/msg name of bot xdcc list

and your fine.

To rest of the ops here relax. We never used to be so fucking hardcore gay about alot of this shit.

And to the leachers do it right and ask questions if u need help.

Thank You

Vash
Vash XD

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2006, 09:39:51 pm »
When leeches do ask question but many people ban them for asking questions/admitting to being nOObs, like bastard so we can't blame them, can we?

-Tsubasa

Offline bastard-sama

• Live Evil Members
  • Rakuen Hero
  • in the middle of nowhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 02:40:37 am »
being a newbie is fine we all start there but Live-eviL is not a help channel its a fansubbing channel if you want irc help go somewhere else
and tsubasa quit putting words in my mouth
The resident bastard.