Author Topic: Tsubasa VERY PROBABLY licensed by Funimation  (Read 41549 times)

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
  • Resident Sailor Moon Freak
    • View Profile
Tsubasa VERY PROBABLY licensed by Funimation
« on: December 08, 2005, 08:44:27 am »
Although not confirmed 100% officially by Funimation it has come to our attention that they are now the legitimate rights holders to the Tsubasa Chronicle Anime.

The evidence for this is as follows -

1) Shinsen-subs received a Cease and Desist letter (a request to stop fansubbing licensed anime) and Tsubasa was mentioned in the list.
2) Funimation has registered www.tsubasa.tv. You can check this yourself using the Network Solutions whois lookup.
3) Animesuki has taken the decision to remove Tsubasa Torrents
4) Animenewsnetwork considered the news important enough to mention it on their news site.

Live-eviL as a rule does not get involved in the subbing of licensed anime. We respect the rights of legitamte rights holders and will discontinue fansubbing of such series.

I know a lot of people will say "OMG THAT SUCKS YOU MUST CARRY ON". Our policy is to be better safe than sorry. We don't want to get in to trouble with Funimation and get Cease and Desist Letters ourselves. All such pleas will be ignored.

Unless Funimation outright denies publicly that they've licensed Tsubasa and put a license by them beyond all doubt we will no longer be involved with Tsubasa.

We would encourage everyone to support the legitimate licensors and buy the DVD's when they are released.

-gumbaloom
[16:35]  <Scaevolus> hey leechers have to expend lots of effort, it takes almost a dozen keystrokes to leech stuff
[16:37]  <Mamo-chan> go stroke goomb's ego plz
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> fansubbing is not about leecher ego stroking
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> it's about how much we jizz when w

Offline bastard-sama

• Live Evil Members
  • Rakuen Hero
  • in the middle of nowhere
    • View Profile
Re: Tsubasa VERY PROBABLY licensed by Funimation
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 09:10:13 am »
<- was wondering when this was gonna happen and am happy!
The resident bastard.

Sirusjr

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 09:48:33 am »
Allrighty.  Sucks to have to wait for more tsubasa but hopefully someone else will pick up season 2 so i dont go into withdrawl.

Dark Shroud

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 05:07:47 pm »
<- was wondering when this was gonna happen and am happy!

Because of this we will be getting an English dub. However Funimation is known for destroying Animes. So as long as they don't change the music or anything else we have a 50/50 chance of this being good. Funimation is second only to Tokyo Pop in bad quality of dubs and stupid decesions reguarding the making of changes to anime and the DVDs.

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 06:23:44 pm »
Just lets make something very clear about Funimation. They have a reputation which is based upon their Dragonball Z early dub releases. However they have improved greatly since that time.

I myself was sceptical like this about Galaxy Railways which Funimation licensed but I gave it a shot and on the original Japanese subtitle track they had given it a good treatment.

1) They had retained the original Music
2) They'd translated all the major things correctly (I didn't agree with some word choices but thats just my nitpickiness)
3) They had multiple angles so you could see the original Japanese credits and the English translated credits
4) They had both a dubtitle track and a faithful subtitle track.

This is one very important thing to remember about Funimation DVD's which is why 90% of people say they still suck now is because they have 2 subitle tracks and they usually end up watching the dubtitle track and thinking "oh it sucks".

So don't just immediately think that just because Funimation has got the license that they are going to screw it over.

-gumbaloom
[16:35]  <Scaevolus> hey leechers have to expend lots of effort, it takes almost a dozen keystrokes to leech stuff

Offline Masakari

• kl33my Hero
  • Scourge of the Matsumoto Division (FLAME!)
    • View Profile
    • Live Evil
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 08:31:15 pm »
Because of this we will be getting an English dub. However Funimation is known for destroying Animes. So as long as they don't change the music or anything else we have a 50/50 chance of this being good. Funimation is second only to Tokyo Pop in bad quality of dubs and stupid decesions reguarding the making of changes to anime and the DVDs.
Whats this? Whining? Acting like your being treated unfairly? If you hate the dubs that much, and you love your precious clamp so much, learn Japanese.

Offline SakuraSweetie

• n00b Hero
  • Tsubasa Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 08:42:55 pm »
If they only liscense season one and not two, can you still fansub it?
~*~Tsubasa Love~*~

Offline Masakari

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
    • Live Evil
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 09:05:47 pm »
Theoretically, Yes. Actually? No.
A)The primary Translator of Tsubasa is AWOL. He probably went insane from the unfathomable evil he losed on the world by subbing Tsubasa.
B)Assuming you got it him back, by the time you did, they would have probably moved on and licensed the rest after the inevitable prolific sales of the first season.
C)Fansubbers like to finish a series before it is licensed, it has to do with that whole sense of closure. Tsubasa 2 has, as of right now, has very grim prospects in this area.
D)Your additude would have me believe that you would want us to sub it becasue...
 1)You are of the persuasion that their handling will be less than stellar.
 2)You don't actually support Anime, and live by the motto, "To err is to human, To ARR is to pirate (anime)."

Offline darkfire

• n00b Hero
  • Cave of Evil-Invite Only
    • View Profile
    • The Circle Never Ends
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 09:10:29 pm »
Personally I like funimation. They were bad back during dragonball z. But lets remember, the first dragonball and dragonballz anime and movies. were dubed by Pioneer aka Geneon. Pioneer sold dragonball to Funimation. The censorship which people think was bad was during a time when people wouldnt approve of that stuff on tv. And it ran durring a time when little kid watched. It was syndicated as well. I rember it on kidsWB long time ago. So FCC doesnt like violent syndicated stuff now. But times have changed. America is in love with violence letting funimation be better with there stuff.
I will probably find a way to got tsubasa chroniles season 2 even if it means getting the HK subed from discountanimedvd.

PS. 4Kids is the worst dubbers ever. One Peice. Yugio GX, Naruto, Tokyo Mew Mew and list goes on and on

Offline Masakari

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
    • Live Evil
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 09:14:41 pm »
I will probably find a way to got tsubasa chroniles season 2 even if it means getting the HK subed from discountanimedvd.

...Or you could wait a few months for the domestic release. Don't be a Leech, be a fan. ;)

Offline darkfire

• n00b Hero
  • Cave of Evil-Invite Only
    • View Profile
    • The Circle Never Ends
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 09:20:50 pm »
Oh i dont leech. I have a nice collection. What i will do is leech now. Get the real dvds later. By the time season 2 is on dvd many months may have passed

Sirusjr

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2005, 01:21:39 am »
i agree.  Even if i did decide to buy it assuming i actually got a job and money, i dont want to have to wait that long for season 2.  If it airs in japan in april i want to watch it in april not any later.

Offline Masakari

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
    • Live Evil
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2005, 01:30:48 am »
i agree.  Even if i did decide to buy it assuming i actually got a job and money, i dont want to have to wait that long for season 2.  If it airs in japan in april i want to watch it in april not any later.
Wow. I can see what drove Tofu AWOL, subbing for such greedy, demanding, and ungrateful fans, with no self-restaint, discipline, patience, or restraint.

Offline SakuraSweetie

• n00b Hero
  • Tsubasa Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2005, 02:45:25 am »
D)Your additude would have me believe that you would want us to sub it becasue...
 1)You are of the persuasion that their handling will be less than stellar.
 2)You don't actually support Anime, and live by the motto, "To err is to human, To ARR is to pirate (anime)."

???

Were you talking to me? If you were, I have NO IDEA where you got that impression and I don't appreciate being judged that way.
~*~Tsubasa Love~*~

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2005, 02:46:47 am »
There will be ways and means of getting hold of Tsubasa Chronicles Season 2 if you want it THAT badly. It just requires a LOT more work on the part of the leecher than simply jumping on to a torrent.

However because the series is highly likely to be licensed live-evil will not involve itself in the distribution of licensed material as
a) we don't want cease & desist letters
b) we don't want to get kicked off enterthegame (the irc network our channel is hosted on) as they have a policy prohibiting being involved with licensed anime in any way shape or form.

In other words this means...
1) Don't ask where to get fansubs
2) Don't ask where to get raws

either on IRC or in these forums.

-gumbaloom

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2005, 03:00:47 am »
If they only liscense season one and not two, can you still fansub it?

Sakuraweetie, I think what Masakari is getting at is that because Tsubasa has a long continuous story arc that extends through all 72 episodes the chances of seasons being licensed one by one is LOW and I mean VERY LOW. It's not like Full Metal Panic where each season has a self contained story.

On his second point your question implies that you are asking us to become involved in a very risky game of fansubbing anime which is licensed or very likely to be in the near future. If in the hypothetical sense Funi *only* licensed season one (they'd be stupid not to) as soon as it launched in the US it's CLAMP so it'll be an instant success they'd snap up the rest of the series in a shot.

Also by asking us to fansub season 2 it could be interpreted as
1) you don't buy legimately licensed anime and prefer to download
2) you think Funimation will make a bad job of the DVD's when / if they get to season 2.

I know what peoples arguments are...

"Please fansub season as we don't want to wait for Funi to release it

That is a VERY VERY VERY dangerous game to be involved in and is pushing the moral boundaries of what fansubbing is about. The goal of a fansubber is to make it popular enough so a US licensor will pick it up and release commercial DVD's. A fansubber is NOT here to release fansubs just because a legit company can't releae em fast enough. That goes against the old standard of fansubbing/ethics and we won't bow to such pressures from the leechers.

Also note that Shinsen was served a cease and desist for Solty Rei and Black Cat which haven't even finished their first season run let alone a 2nd season!!!.

It's
a) unethical
b) not worth the risk of being on the brunt of legal action from anime companies.

Yes we know it might hurt but you will just have to wait for it to be shown on TV if the license is confirmed by Funimation. Please respect our wishes and our stance on licensed anime and refrain from asking us where to get raws / if we'll sub it unless there is an outright denial that Funimation do not have a license.

-gumbaloom

Offline Blind_Guardian

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2005, 05:05:15 am »
Actually, from what I've seen, Funi seems to be doing a lot better. Even Tokyopop, who someone pointed out was bad at butchering, have gotten much better in their manga, at least. I have a few volumes of Sailor Moon when they put it out and compared to Fruits Basket manga, which I'm buying, there have been *very* distinct improvements. So I hold out hope for them and I'll buy the dvds. I have no problem waiting.

The only thing I'll miss is L-E's neat pretty colored translation of the title of Tsubasa :) That was so pretty. Thank you so much for subbing and finishing season 1 of Tsubasa. It got me interested in the show where I didn't think I'd like it at all. It's been a memorable experience and thank you all, Live-Evil.

Dark Shroud

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2005, 06:45:13 am »
Whats this? Whining? Acting like your being treated unfairly? If you hate the dubs that much, and you love your precious clamp so much, learn Japanese.

I do not hate all dubs, just very bad ones. I recently purchased the Japanese only audio version of all the Inital D movies up until season 4 because I couldn't stand the english versions, both the voice acting & music. I usually prefer to buy duel audio to enjoy both versions. I have yet to  purchase season 4 because I only buy box sets because they're cheaper. Learning Japanese is actually on my list of things to do. Just very far down because I'm already a full time student and I work full time as well. So time and money both are in short supply.

People have own reasons for their actions and/or opinions whether right or wrong. It’s not your place to judge people and responding with snide comments to everyone who makes a post you dislike or disagree with. In other wards quite being a jerk.

Offline SakuraSweetie

• n00b Hero
  • Tsubasa Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2005, 09:07:42 am »
I was trying to imply anything like I don't buy legal anime...I have a couple of the Tsubasa DVDs already. Nor was I trying to imply that I want you to keep doing it anyway. I was just wondering if it was possible for you to continue if they only liscenced one season. I understand completely your reasoning for not continuing. I wouldn't want to get involved with legal problems either. Yes, it sucks to wait for it, but if I have to, I will. There's not anything I can do about it and like I said, I understand 100% why you cannot/will not continue to sub the series.

I didn't mean to cause this much trouble over just a simple question...I'm sorry. :(
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 09:11:55 am by SakuraSweetie »
~*~Tsubasa Love~*~

Offline totosquirt

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2005, 12:40:25 pm »
I am just wondering...if Funimation DOES screw up with the translating and the whole japanese-to-english process, would you still distribute Tsubasa?

also, just incase something happens, are you still going to sub tsubasa but not distribute it?  ;D

(i am just thankful that the japanese-theme of xxxHOLiC made it so that it won't be dubbed...so much japanese stuff in xxxHOLiC...but it is tsubasa crossover so maybe... :'( *keeps faithful*)

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2005, 12:46:08 pm »
totosquirt you again >_>;;;;

umm *IF* they did umm the answer is a big resounding NO. Live-eviL DOES NOT sub licensed anime. We're not getting in to the whole debate like what has errupted over the likes of Digimon or Transformers.

And I've already said the chances of them doing a bad job are low >_>

Secondly what/what doesnt get subbed and released internally within live-evil is none of your business :).

-gumbaloom

Offline totosquirt

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2005, 12:47:06 pm »
hehe bl...um...ach i forgot what i was gonna say anyways....out of subject...well this subject:

Funimation - Shinsen-Subs Follow-up (2005-12-08 20:36:50)
There has been some misunderstanding regarding the events surrounding Funimation's enforcement of its intellectual property vis-a-vis Shinsen-Subs. The fansub group was actively making available several titles that Funimation has already publicly announced. Their copyright infringement was not limited exclusively to unannounced properties.

source: animenewsnetwork.com
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 01:02:10 pm by totosquirt »

Offline bastard-sama

• Live Evil Members
  • Rakuen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2005, 07:30:35 pm »
and if you would have read the top you would have figured that out before posting that...
The resident bastard.

Offline Kenji

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2005, 10:51:17 am »
The only thing is i hate all the Licensing Issues coz as I may have mentioned before I live in the UK where the Licensed versions dont get released (well we have a few but they tend to stick to the movies over here, we're only just getting Cowboy Bebop the series) This is just annoying for me. but i guess I'll have to wait 5 years for a release of it here.

And before anyone says it I dont buy US DVDs.

Offline totosquirt

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2005, 04:01:46 pm »
ACCORDING to animenfo.com, the tsubasa movie isn't licensed yet. I don't know the technicalities but the anime is licensed by bee train and the movie by production ig...so i guess you can still sub the movie..rite?  ???

Offline kayryn

• kl33my Hero
  • Life is just.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2005, 04:36:59 pm »
Argh! I wish everyone would stop complaning. If I was in Live-Evil's situation, I would discontinue it too. If anyone really IS desperate enough to get the series as and when it comes out, learn Japanese, fly over there for 26 weeks, get all the epsiodes, fly back to where ever you live and sub the damn things yourself so YOU can get in trouble for your selfishness instead of these kind people who do such a wonderful job dealing with all you whiny idiots.

It hasn't even been confirmed yet and already people are complaining.
I never know what to put for these things....

Offline Shadic

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2005, 05:23:29 pm »
Well it is obvious people are going to gripe about the licensing of a popular series but there's not much anyone can do about it except gripe. Too bad we can't just buy the Domestic DVDs and call the Fansubs our "Back Up" version. There has been many dispute about you being able to make back ups but the Supreme Court hasn't declared it illegal yet.  Well not that I know of.

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2005, 12:24:56 am »
1) Shinsen-subs received a Cease and Desist letter (a request to stop fansubbing licensed anime) and Tsubasa was mentioned in the list.
Shinsen-subs is the only one to receive a letter?  Is there any evidence that Shinsen-subs is not bluffing or lying?  Why would funanimation send only them a letter and not the 20+ other groups that also subbed Tsubasa?  There are several explanations, but looking at the most sensible ones lead one to believe that it is probably not licensed at this time.  It may very well be 'in negotiation' but many titles go through negotiation and never get licensed due to cost.  Remember what happened with ADV's Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch "license", I would say to stay on the side of caution and avoid another debacle like this.  All 'evidence' here so far is either direct heresay, or reports based solely on heresay and it would be best to ignore it at the time.  The new season is still months away, I'm sure people will have it figured out by then.

Offline bastard-sama

• Live Evil Members
  • Rakuen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2005, 04:07:51 am »
sindo you are forgetting an important fact.. is that shinsen isnt finished yet :D and they are subbing everything (as the vultures they are)
The resident bastard.

Offline SailorDh

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2005, 07:07:50 pm »
Hmm maybe Funimation sent ninjas to capture Tofu and are making him work for them and he's chained to a desk somewhere translating anime for free.

FrontMission

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2005, 04:30:23 am »
I know this is off topic, but I'm very carious to know...How do you know if an anime is licensed or not? Where do you get this information? :o

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2005, 09:35:22 am »
News posted to
www.animeondvd.com
www.animenewsnetwork.com

Torrents being removed from animesuki?

-gumbaloom

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2005, 10:18:58 pm »
I know this is off topic, but I'm very carious to know...How do you know if an anime is licensed or not? Where do you get this information? :o
Generally there is a formal announcement by the company who licensed it, sometimes at one of the big anime conventions, other times just out of the blue. 

delphenuz

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2005, 04:11:18 pm »
Grrr shame im gonna have to wait for the dvd releases but oh well stuff happens... Live-eviL sure did their job tho, lol they got all of us hooked and now were gonna have to buy those dvds.. WHETHER WE LIKE IT OR NOT!!! hahaha mustv put some subliminal messages in there somewhere ;)... i mean just look at the ppl they'd cut their wrists if they thought itd make live-evil do the subs... poor gumbaloom tho hes starting to sound like a broken record coz ppl just keep asking the same questions just with different wording... unfortunately for all of us no mean no and so were just gonna have to pray for some sort of miracle so we can see some quality subs of season 2...   :-\

Offline blueknight

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2006, 07:01:56 pm »
too bad if it is licensed but thats how life goes. but i am grateful for having the chance to at least see what the series will be about and such. and since i still have the first season i can compare it to the dubbed version as i have never been able to do that b4 so i can get an idea of the differences.

as for all the commontion that i have read about lets just say if live-evil did continue to sub tsubasa and then got kicked off enterthegame. after which you  find out that tsubasa isn't licensed. live-evil wouldn't be around to sub it.

when it comes to licenses i don't know much but i do understand that messing around with them can be disasterous.

we can hope that funi didn't license tsubasa or it drops the license like ADV did with mermaid melody as mentioned ealier. either may be unlikely but we can hope.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 07:04:57 pm by blueknight »

Offline Shadic

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2006, 08:08:26 am »
Heh looks like people are still devastated about it. I was too, but I do have to thank Funimation, they gave me the push. They gave me the motivation I needed to learn Japanese. Not far yet but I can actually pick up some sentences while watching anime now ^^. So Thank You Funimation. (if anyone knows. How do you know when not to voice the "i" and "u"? hard to pick up words when you don't know that) now all I need is to improve this skill combine it with international channels and I'm set. ^^

About the Licensing issue. "Technically" it's illegal to distribute copyright materials anywhere but fansubs work on a "No Harm No Foul" idea. As long as it's not harming anyone, financially, they will do it but when something happens that conflicts that idea they cease distribution. If it wasn't for fansubs anime wouldn't have picked up in America and it wouldn't be as successful as it is today.

Anyways as long as it's not 4kids or is going to air on Kids WB then it's fine. Only they are known to butcher anime now by changing names, music, and setting nowadays. Most other companies will try to stick as much as possible to the original script.

Offline LaO

• n00b Hero
  • Lao!
    • View Profile
    • Naruto Central/Anime Download Center
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2006, 09:19:36 am »
I'm Considering to fansub season 2. I'm not gonna mention which fansub im from, for legal liability reasons. Than again, i will keep updated to the die hardcore fans of tsubasa chronicles. I know i wont do as good as a job as L-E has but i'll try my best :D I just need to know how to get the Raws, i beleive i came across SaiyaMan Raws for tsubasa Chronicles, i know you Live-Evil has nothing to do with tsubasa chronicles anymore. But if someone renounced their postition for a slight second to *cough*PutNameOfRawHosterHere*cough*than nothing can be helped? right?

Edit: OMFG my site is on my sig section -.-;; but that's not my fansub site, it's my anime site...so im still safe...right..?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 09:21:18 am by LaO »
Q: Why does the cow say meow?
a: It doesn't...

http://www.naruto-central.net/

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2006, 09:40:44 am »
No asking for raws here please and especially for licensed series. Also urr for any fansubbing raw you haven't been in the game that long if you haven't heard of Japanese Peer 2 peer >_>.

-gumbaloom

Offline bastard-sama

• Live Evil Members
  • Rakuen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2006, 10:48:51 pm »
gumba your topic needs to be changed :D (points to AOD)
The resident bastard.