Author Topic: Tsubasa VERY PROBABLY licensed by Funimation  (Read 37775 times)

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
  • Resident Sailor Moon Freak
    • View Profile
Re: Tsubasa VERY PROBABLY licensed by Funimation
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2005, 03:00:47 am »
If they only liscense season one and not two, can you still fansub it?

Sakuraweetie, I think what Masakari is getting at is that because Tsubasa has a long continuous story arc that extends through all 72 episodes the chances of seasons being licensed one by one is LOW and I mean VERY LOW. It's not like Full Metal Panic where each season has a self contained story.

On his second point your question implies that you are asking us to become involved in a very risky game of fansubbing anime which is licensed or very likely to be in the near future. If in the hypothetical sense Funi *only* licensed season one (they'd be stupid not to) as soon as it launched in the US it's CLAMP so it'll be an instant success they'd snap up the rest of the series in a shot.

Also by asking us to fansub season 2 it could be interpreted as
1) you don't buy legimately licensed anime and prefer to download
2) you think Funimation will make a bad job of the DVD's when / if they get to season 2.

I know what peoples arguments are...

"Please fansub season as we don't want to wait for Funi to release it

That is a VERY VERY VERY dangerous game to be involved in and is pushing the moral boundaries of what fansubbing is about. The goal of a fansubber is to make it popular enough so a US licensor will pick it up and release commercial DVD's. A fansubber is NOT here to release fansubs just because a legit company can't releae em fast enough. That goes against the old standard of fansubbing/ethics and we won't bow to such pressures from the leechers.

Also note that Shinsen was served a cease and desist for Solty Rei and Black Cat which haven't even finished their first season run let alone a 2nd season!!!.

It's
a) unethical
b) not worth the risk of being on the brunt of legal action from anime companies.

Yes we know it might hurt but you will just have to wait for it to be shown on TV if the license is confirmed by Funimation. Please respect our wishes and our stance on licensed anime and refrain from asking us where to get raws / if we'll sub it unless there is an outright denial that Funimation do not have a license.

-gumbaloom
[16:35]  <Scaevolus> hey leechers have to expend lots of effort, it takes almost a dozen keystrokes to leech stuff
[16:37]  <Mamo-chan> go stroke goomb's ego plz
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> fansubbing is not about leecher ego stroking
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> it's about how much we jizz when w

Offline Blind_Guardian

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2005, 05:05:15 am »
Actually, from what I've seen, Funi seems to be doing a lot better. Even Tokyopop, who someone pointed out was bad at butchering, have gotten much better in their manga, at least. I have a few volumes of Sailor Moon when they put it out and compared to Fruits Basket manga, which I'm buying, there have been *very* distinct improvements. So I hold out hope for them and I'll buy the dvds. I have no problem waiting.

The only thing I'll miss is L-E's neat pretty colored translation of the title of Tsubasa :) That was so pretty. Thank you so much for subbing and finishing season 1 of Tsubasa. It got me interested in the show where I didn't think I'd like it at all. It's been a memorable experience and thank you all, Live-Evil.

Dark Shroud

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2005, 06:45:13 am »
Whats this? Whining? Acting like your being treated unfairly? If you hate the dubs that much, and you love your precious clamp so much, learn Japanese.

I do not hate all dubs, just very bad ones. I recently purchased the Japanese only audio version of all the Inital D movies up until season 4 because I couldn't stand the english versions, both the voice acting & music. I usually prefer to buy duel audio to enjoy both versions. I have yet to  purchase season 4 because I only buy box sets because they're cheaper. Learning Japanese is actually on my list of things to do. Just very far down because I'm already a full time student and I work full time as well. So time and money both are in short supply.

People have own reasons for their actions and/or opinions whether right or wrong. It’s not your place to judge people and responding with snide comments to everyone who makes a post you dislike or disagree with. In other wards quite being a jerk.

Offline SakuraSweetie

• n00b Hero
  • Tsubasa Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2005, 09:07:42 am »
I was trying to imply anything like I don't buy legal anime...I have a couple of the Tsubasa DVDs already. Nor was I trying to imply that I want you to keep doing it anyway. I was just wondering if it was possible for you to continue if they only liscenced one season. I understand completely your reasoning for not continuing. I wouldn't want to get involved with legal problems either. Yes, it sucks to wait for it, but if I have to, I will. There's not anything I can do about it and like I said, I understand 100% why you cannot/will not continue to sub the series.

I didn't mean to cause this much trouble over just a simple question...I'm sorry. :(
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 09:11:55 am by SakuraSweetie »
~*~Tsubasa Love~*~

Offline totosquirt

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2005, 12:40:25 pm »
I am just wondering...if Funimation DOES screw up with the translating and the whole japanese-to-english process, would you still distribute Tsubasa?

also, just incase something happens, are you still going to sub tsubasa but not distribute it?  ;D

(i am just thankful that the japanese-theme of xxxHOLiC made it so that it won't be dubbed...so much japanese stuff in xxxHOLiC...but it is tsubasa crossover so maybe... :'( *keeps faithful*)

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
  • Resident Sailor Moon Freak
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2005, 12:46:08 pm »
totosquirt you again >_>;;;;

umm *IF* they did umm the answer is a big resounding NO. Live-eviL DOES NOT sub licensed anime. We're not getting in to the whole debate like what has errupted over the likes of Digimon or Transformers.

And I've already said the chances of them doing a bad job are low >_>

Secondly what/what doesnt get subbed and released internally within live-evil is none of your business :).

-gumbaloom
[16:35]  <Scaevolus> hey leechers have to expend lots of effort, it takes almost a dozen keystrokes to leech stuff
[16:37]  <Mamo-chan> go stroke goomb's ego plz
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> fansubbing is not about leecher ego stroking
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> it's about how much we jizz when w

Offline totosquirt

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2005, 12:47:06 pm »
hehe bl...um...ach i forgot what i was gonna say anyways....out of subject...well this subject:

Funimation - Shinsen-Subs Follow-up (2005-12-08 20:36:50)
There has been some misunderstanding regarding the events surrounding Funimation's enforcement of its intellectual property vis-a-vis Shinsen-Subs. The fansub group was actively making available several titles that Funimation has already publicly announced. Their copyright infringement was not limited exclusively to unannounced properties.

source: animenewsnetwork.com
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 01:02:10 pm by totosquirt »

Offline bastard-sama

• Live Evil Members
  • Rakuen Hero
  • in the middle of nowhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2005, 07:30:35 pm »
and if you would have read the top you would have figured that out before posting that...
The resident bastard.

Offline Kenji

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2005, 10:51:17 am »
The only thing is i hate all the Licensing Issues coz as I may have mentioned before I live in the UK where the Licensed versions dont get released (well we have a few but they tend to stick to the movies over here, we're only just getting Cowboy Bebop the series) This is just annoying for me. but i guess I'll have to wait 5 years for a release of it here.

And before anyone says it I dont buy US DVDs.

Offline totosquirt

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2005, 04:01:46 pm »
ACCORDING to animenfo.com, the tsubasa movie isn't licensed yet. I don't know the technicalities but the anime is licensed by bee train and the movie by production ig...so i guess you can still sub the movie..rite?  ???

Offline kayryn

• kl33my Hero
  • Life is just.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2005, 04:36:59 pm »
Argh! I wish everyone would stop complaning. If I was in Live-Evil's situation, I would discontinue it too. If anyone really IS desperate enough to get the series as and when it comes out, learn Japanese, fly over there for 26 weeks, get all the epsiodes, fly back to where ever you live and sub the damn things yourself so YOU can get in trouble for your selfishness instead of these kind people who do such a wonderful job dealing with all you whiny idiots.

It hasn't even been confirmed yet and already people are complaining.
I never know what to put for these things....

Offline Shadic

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2005, 05:23:29 pm »
Well it is obvious people are going to gripe about the licensing of a popular series but there's not much anyone can do about it except gripe. Too bad we can't just buy the Domestic DVDs and call the Fansubs our "Back Up" version. There has been many dispute about you being able to make back ups but the Supreme Court hasn't declared it illegal yet.  Well not that I know of.

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2005, 12:24:56 am »
1) Shinsen-subs received a Cease and Desist letter (a request to stop fansubbing licensed anime) and Tsubasa was mentioned in the list.
Shinsen-subs is the only one to receive a letter?  Is there any evidence that Shinsen-subs is not bluffing or lying?  Why would funanimation send only them a letter and not the 20+ other groups that also subbed Tsubasa?  There are several explanations, but looking at the most sensible ones lead one to believe that it is probably not licensed at this time.  It may very well be 'in negotiation' but many titles go through negotiation and never get licensed due to cost.  Remember what happened with ADV's Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch "license", I would say to stay on the side of caution and avoid another debacle like this.  All 'evidence' here so far is either direct heresay, or reports based solely on heresay and it would be best to ignore it at the time.  The new season is still months away, I'm sure people will have it figured out by then.

Offline bastard-sama

• Live Evil Members
  • Rakuen Hero
  • in the middle of nowhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2005, 04:07:51 am »
sindo you are forgetting an important fact.. is that shinsen isnt finished yet :D and they are subbing everything (as the vultures they are)
The resident bastard.

Offline SailorDh

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2005, 07:07:50 pm »
Hmm maybe Funimation sent ninjas to capture Tofu and are making him work for them and he's chained to a desk somewhere translating anime for free.