Author Topic: Power Trip  (Read 12328 times)

Epic

Power Trip
« on: December 25, 2005, 06:42:51 pm »
I just want to comment on how people that operate the MIRc channels tend to think their god and have this right over other people to act as total perks.

I won't mention names...but I’m sure everyone has run into one or have been in channel were a helpless newbie ask a question that could be laughable to some. Then all of a sudden like "god from the sky" a channel operate make a profoundly ignorant response and there little minions, quickly type in "lol, lmao" etc.

I know people will response to this thread with the same attitude as in the channels, with a pompous arrogant reply that puts them on this imaginary pedestal. The fact is at one point everyone was newbie, there’s no way around it. What I’m saying is why not help one another if some one ask that “dumb” question why not answer it will a response that will benefit that person, it called good karma and it good for your mind and soul.

Merry Christmas everyone and Happy New Year

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
  • Resident Sailor Moon Freak
    • View Profile
Re: Power Trip
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 08:01:01 pm »
:)

Let's not get in to a discussion of IRC politics, theres enough of that going on animesuki these days.

The general agreement of the animesuki thread was that channel operators can run the channel how they deem fit to do so. If you don't like how we operate the channel then don't come it's as simple as that - you just use torrent instead.

Also if you're complaining about me which I suspect you are, if you took the time to read the credits for ID4 you'll see that despite the fact that I loathe ID4 with a vengenance I typeset and encoded it and worked my ass off to get the 4 episodes done before Christmas. I didn't have to do that but I did.

3 hours acquiring and leeching the raws
(Multiply this by 4)
2 hours making filter raws for each episode and writing the AVS scripts to filter them
3 hours to make and upload timing / typeset raws
4 hours to typeset, encode and upload each episode
3 hours to encode final versions
So roughly 10 hours of my computer time / uploading time
30 minutes distro

So in total (although I wasn't present for all of the time) my computer has exercised over 40 hours of time getting your ID4 eps done and out in time for xmas.

The simple fact is that we aren't paid to do this job - it's our hobby (yes it's old but so what) you can't expect that each and so you can't expect any of us including myself to be like cheerful Japanese shop keepers all the time. If you paid us to act as customer service agents then yes you could expect us to be polite all the time but we're not so you don't have any right to demand that we are polite and helpful 100% of the time to each and every single leecher and so we will be in a bad mood sometimes :P.

Getting more to the point - Initial D 4th Stage releases are probably some of the biggest releases of the time. Once the eps are out the channel numbers jumped from an average of approximately 175 to over 350. In other words a 100% increase in the total capacity of the channel. This therefore requires more stringent measures to keep everything in order or chaos would ensure. So if we appear to you as though we act like dumb asses its because of how busy it is. Don't forget that you're not the only leecher that's been through the channel I would say there's been over 1,000 people in to the channel to leech ID4 and do you expect us to be polite and friendly to each and every single leecher ?. Umm no...

Anyhow as far as leeching goes I find it quite amazing how people come to IRC and then expect the episodes to be sent to them. At least in my book, if you have the intellgence to install and load Mirc you have the intelligence to go and google "irc leeching guides". There are plenty of helpful guides which will show you in explicity detail how to leech off XDCC bots without any difficulty whatsoever - ti's not hard and without the need to be bothering staff who have already put in more than their fair share of time and effort in getting the releases ready to go in the first place.

So well there ya go. The bottom line is -
1 - if you don't like how a channel operates then just don't go there
2 - If you wanna learn how to leech use the web instead of making a nuisance of yourself on IRC
3 - IRC ops / fansub staff aren't paid to be customer service agents so don't expect them to act like that all the time

-gumbaloom

PS If I really wanted to be harsh I would have banned on sight but I didn't.
[16:35]  <Scaevolus> hey leechers have to expend lots of effort, it takes almost a dozen keystrokes to leech stuff
[16:37]  <Mamo-chan> go stroke goomb's ego plz
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> fansubbing is not about leecher ego stroking
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> it's about how much we jizz when w

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
  • Resident Sailor Moon Freak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 09:20:26 pm »
To paraphrase something on Animesuki -

WANTED :- Live-eviL Fansub Customer Service Channel Operator!

BENEFITS -
- You will meet lots of downloaders from many different countries
- You will get to spend a lot of time on IRC
- You will be opped in #live-evil

REQUIREMENTS
- You must be available 24 hours a day in front of your computer to answer any inbound customer service issues.
- You must always be extremely polite to any downloader regardless of how rude/polite/demanding they are.
- You must have an intimate knowledge of how to download fansubs via any medium and be able to instruct downloaders as simple as possible in how to acquire said downloads and not rest untill their downloading needs have been satisified.
- You must never ban or kick any downloader regardless of their conduct towards you.
- You must have an intimate knowledge of all bot packlists and the contents of every fserve that is in trouble to be able to instruct downloaders in how to find their required download.
- You must keep a complete archive of all Live-eviL subbed episodes readily available to send to downloaders and be on a fast internet connection and be able to send the required files immediately if requested by a downloader. You must not use your internet connection for any other purpose.

Any interested applicants please present yourself to #live-evil to apply
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any takers ? XD

-gumbaloom
[16:35]  <Scaevolus> hey leechers have to expend lots of effort, it takes almost a dozen keystrokes to leech stuff
[16:37]  <Mamo-chan> go stroke goomb's ego plz
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> fansubbing is not about leecher ego stroking
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> it's about how much we jizz when w

Offline bastard-sama

• Live Evil Members
  • Rakuen Hero
  • in the middle of nowhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 10:35:29 pm »
wouldnt that go against the evil in live-evil if people actually got what they want with out being hassled?
The resident bastard.

Offline bastard-sama

• Live Evil Members
  • Rakuen Hero
  • in the middle of nowhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2005, 10:45:00 pm »
oh yeah and epic channel ops are opped because they know something about irc and won't ruin the channel or anything
they do not have HELP people in their job description anyone who does help is nice and anyone who doesnt help is fine and the people who give shit to others is fine too... UNLESS the channel operator is opped for the reason of helping people then helping people is fine but most arent and they are not required... there are also help channels that will help you with learning the basics and l-e is not a help channel...
The resident bastard.

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 12:33:59 am »
everyone was newbie, there’s no way around it. What I’m saying is why not help one another if some one ask that “dumb” question why not answer it will a response that will benefit that person, it called good karma and it good for your mind and soul.
Sadly the reverse is true.  Dumb questions are just plain dumb, and to answer them, especially in a nice way, only encourages the dummie to keep asking.  As an OP falling into this trap is one of the last things you want to do.  If anything it's bad karma to answer a dumb question since you are interfering with the natural order of things... vs. banning dummies and not allowing them to return. 

Keep in mind, "dumb" questions are ones that are (1) immediately answerable (look at the website, look at the FAQs, etc.) and need not be asked, or ones that are not answerable to begin with (2).

examples:
(1) When was SSM #10 released?!  Where can I find it!  PLEASE I MUST HAVE IT OR I WILL DIE ARGH OH MY GOSH $#*(E(FDFDS THE PAIN@?@#@#@$%%@

(2) Will Live-evil be doing the next Tsubasa movie in lieu of it's rumored licensing?
(2) When will the next release of so-and-so be out.
etc.

Offline Zappster

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 07:01:26 pm »
Well I do try to be as nice as possible when answering questions whenever I'm in any channel. After all it was only a short while a go that I myself was an IRC noob(actually I'd probably still classify myself as one).

Thing is though I'd agree with gumbaloom as well, if you don't like the way things are handled then simply leave plus there's plenty of material available on the internet for newbies which will get you started and teach you the basics of IRC. Failing that if you ask politely I'm sure someone in a channel will help eventually. Personally though I can't stand the sort of messages that's mentioned in sindobook's first example. Overexaggeration, use of caps, exclamation marks etc... If I see that I'd probably ignore it. As long as the question isn't too dumb (as sindobook mentioned) I'm more than happy to answer it. Can't say I'd be that happy answering it for the nth time though.

Offline Raven_03

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 05:30:55 am »
haha double p..... well not my point! gumbaloom i understand your point bout ID4 releases and other animes. People tend to forget who are the people whose working hard to make those possible. so i'll just say thanks on behalf of spoiled demanding leechers who blames you guys not to releases some eps in time. anywayz bout the iRC. I'ved help one group once in iRC and people should know that writing useless stuff making the main room noisy messes the server. Sometimes people should understand why they keep those rules.
our strength is shown in the things we stand for
our weakness is shown in the things we fall for...