Author Topic: Donations  (Read 11272 times)

Offline Rillyx

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
Donations
« on: May 17, 2006, 06:20:58 am »
First off, I'd like to say that I've enjoyed your work.  I've been lurking around for quite some time now, and I finally got around to registering today.

I was wondering if you guys accept donations.  I looked around for a while but didn't find much mention of it.  I'm sure both the time and the bandwidth involved isn't cheap, and while I cannot contribute by helping to translate or encode, I could donate a bit to support your work.  I can't donate a lot, being a recent college grad with a ridiculous amount of student loans, but I'd love to give what I could.  I'm sure there are others that feel the same way.

Thanks again for your time and efforts,

Rillyx

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
  • Resident Sailor Moon Freak
    • View Profile
Re: Donations
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 08:07:33 am »
Fansubbers have 2 main costs really...

1) Buying Region 2 DVD source for Proje3cts

2) The cost of paying for servers / IRC bots

Time is not considered a cost. We do this for free cos it's fun and we enjoy the shows that we work on. If we accepted $$ for the time that we spent on stuff we'd be basically making ourselves pirates and would just be as bad as the DVD rippers / HK pirates that are so prolific at the minute.

As far as the DVD's is concerned personally I feel wrong about asking for donations for that kind of thing. I'll pay for that out of my own pocket. As for the bandwidth costs thats just a cost we have to bear or we'd have no distro.

For example I'm paying $35 a month for the server that I run. That runs out at a yearly cost of $420 a year and thats CHEAP but I do it cos it's fun and I like messing around with dedicated servers.

However to answer your question, do we accept donations directly? The answer is NO. However if you chose to invest your money in renting a server / IRC shell from somewhere and wanted to use that shell to distro our releases we'd be more than grateful for the extra distro resources and theres the added bonus that people who distro stuff for us get a few little perks as well ;)

-gumbaloom
[16:35]  <Scaevolus> hey leechers have to expend lots of effort, it takes almost a dozen keystrokes to leech stuff
[16:37]  <Mamo-chan> go stroke goomb's ego plz
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> fansubbing is not about leecher ego stroking
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> it's about how much we jizz when w

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
  • *L-E Staff* *Translator/ tlc/ newb typesetter*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 08:18:27 pm »
FANSUBBERS ARE SO GENEROUS....it's a loss for them, all right, financially, but just see where we would be without them....
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432
22:03 Mamo-chan: :O
22:06 Tsubie-chan: kaawaii

Offline Cheez

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 09:50:26 pm »
Firstly, I would like to say how haaappy I am that Tsubasa Chronicle S2 is on!!!

Next, regarding donations... How do you go about renting a server/IRC shell? I'm willing to take the time and money to do it!

Oh! Could you please tell Tofusensei he Rules! Ahem! the rest of you people too... ;)

------Quote Gumbaloom

However to answer your question, do we accept donations directly? The answer is NO. However if you chose to invest your money in renting a server / IRC shell from somewhere and wanted to use that shell to distro our releases we'd be more than grateful for the extra distro resources ...

------End quote
"Puu! That's one of my 108 secret skills: Super Suction Power!" --Mokona--

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 10:12:20 pm »

Oh! Could you please tell Tofusensei he Rules! Ahem! the rest of you people too... ;)

They all know that we think he rules ;D...and he really does 'RULE'! ;)
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432

Offline suzaku_nomiko

• Rakuen Hero
  • いとおしい人のために
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 08:52:00 pm »
They all know that we think he rules ;D...and he really does 'RULE'! ;)

Really?

I thought he ROCKS!!!!   ;D :D
-resident Cat Girl of Live-eviL
Timer, encoder,Noob-Typesetter ,GM, Keeper of the claws of death by Kawaii!
Yasashii yoru ni hitori utau uta. Asu wa kimi to utaou. Yume no tsubasa ni notte.

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 03:35:26 pm »

Really?

I thought he ROCKS!!!!   ;D :D

(Sigh...) well, he does ROCK for us, :D but not for everybody....especially viewers waiting for more episodes from his other, older, unfinished projects. :(

You would know what I am taking about in a year or two.... ;D

Hopefully, it won't happen this time....(sigh...)