Author Topic: NANA Anime & Live-Action  (Read 96056 times)

Offline gumbaloom

• Rakuen Hero
  • Resident Sailor Moon Freak
    • View Profile
Re: NANA Anime & Live-Action
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2006, 01:49:48 am »
Ask Tofu that =D

His AIM is Tofusensei.

If you Nana fans want it bad enough you should go and bug him.

We're not the only group subbing Nana if you can't wait :)

-gumbaloom
[16:35]  <Scaevolus> hey leechers have to expend lots of effort, it takes almost a dozen keystrokes to leech stuff
[16:37]  <Mamo-chan> go stroke goomb's ego plz
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> fansubbing is not about leecher ego stroking
[16:38]  <Professor_Goomba> it's about how much we jizz when w

Offline Beckett

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2006, 03:49:16 am »
Hey all!

First off, I love this show, I just got around to watching episodes 1-5 last night and am instantly hooked.

I had a question, maybe someone here can help me out, I really want to know the answer.  Do rings like the one Osaki wears (the one that covers most of her finger) really exist and if so what are they called?  It is way too awesome.  Thanks!

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2006, 08:40:04 am »
I had a question, maybe someone here can help me out, I really want to know the answer.  Do rings like the one Osaki wears (the one that covers most of her finger) really exist and if so what are they called?  It is way too awesome.  Thanks!
Yes, however, if you are in the US in many states they are illegal since it qualifies as a weapon under the 'anti-terrorist crime bill', passed originally in '99 and 'revised' numerous times post 9/11.  This law imposes tough penalties (mandatory jail time, etc.) on anyone who buys, sells, technically even 'posession' of said items.  So they're pretty rare in the US, Canada might have the same law, I'm not sure about Europe. 

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
  • *L-E Staff* *Translator/ tlc/ newb typesetter*
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2006, 11:59:23 pm »
Yes, however, if you are in the US in many states they are illegal since it qualifies as a weapon under the 'anti-terrorist crime bill', passed originally in '99 and 'revised' numerous times post 9/11.  This law imposes tough penalties (mandatory jail time, etc.) on anyone who buys, sells, technically even 'posession' of said items.  So they're pretty rare in the US, Canada might have the same law, I'm not sure about Europe. 
The US is getting more psychotic day by day.
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432
22:03 Mamo-chan: :O
22:06 Tsubie-chan: kaawaii

Offline Beckett

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2006, 01:24:37 am »
Hmm, I've been doing a little bit more research on this subject since I asked that, and I'm curious as to where you found out that they are illegal in many states?  I haven't seen anything on the net yet at all to suggest that they can't be distributed here, indeed I have since found a few sites that offer similar items for sale and none of them mentioned any shipping restrictions.  I'll check again though.

Offline Samejima Mamimi

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2006, 01:29:53 am »

Yep, they exist. They're generally called "finger armor", and i've never once heard about them being illegal. A quick Google search confirms such, as well as the fact that many online stores (you know, little places like AMAZON.COM -[http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00023JSE4/]-) sell them.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 02:36:57 am by Samejima Mamimi »

Offline Blue Mage

• kl33my Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2006, 02:38:34 am »
I'm positive they aren't illegal in Canada seeing as this artist: http://www.springtimecreations.com/scary.html got them across the border last year for Westercon. And seeing as how some merchandise that was considerably more innocuous had difficulty getting across...
My mind is like a sieve. It retains all sorts of interesting bits and lets the important stuff flow straight through.

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2006, 08:55:55 am »
I guess because Canada didn' get a 9/11 attack.  Even if they did, I'm sure they wouldn't have related it with the rings.
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2006, 12:45:51 pm »
Hi Users and future users,
This has something do with all our current projects. Please follow the link below to visit my poll and place your votes.  ;D
http://forum.live-evil.org/index.php?topic=973.0

-Reasons for clarifying your votes would be truly appreciated. :D

-Tsubasa

Offline Dapprman

• Condor Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2006, 08:12:21 pm »
Hi Users and future users,
This has something do with all our current projects. Please follow the link below to visit my poll and place your votes.  ;D
http://forum.live-evil.org/index.php?topic=973.0

-Reasons for clarifying your votes would be truly appreciated. :D

-Tsubasa

Tsubasu, there had to be a better way of doing this rather than re-activating every feed out there - bakkah

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2006, 12:12:41 am »
The original anti-terror crime bill was passed in 1999 and outlawed possession nunchaku, brass knuckles, certain types of knives and blades (most types of blades with a dual edge) and other martial-arts type weapons on one's person in public places.  Originally only California and a few other states had passed the bill.  However after 9/11 may definitions were 'revised', the definition of 'brass knuckle' was expanded to include a variety of different objects that could be placed over the hands to increase the likelihood of causing severe damage with a punch (rings were excluded as long as the depth was within what was considered 'far beyond normal' at the time); and more states started to adapt the law and actually take it seriously.  Today in the US it is, in most cases, legal to own a handgun but illegal to own a switchblade or nunchaku; guns might seem more dangerous to the rest-of-world but the reality is here the gun lobby is very strong (NRA) while there really is no martial-arts lobby or the like.

Offline Beckett

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2006, 01:12:26 am »
Nevermind the fact that such laws are inherently stupid, because criminals and terrorists don't give a damn about the law to begin with and will obtain, through illicit means, whatever weapons they want.

Anyway, it would seem by that info that these rings are exempt from the law as long as they aren't grossly over the top with like knife blades coming out of the end of them, which basically jives with what I've seen so far in my own research.

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2006, 01:39:34 am »
Brass knuckles don't need knife blades, most don't even have a sharp edge.
There are many different varieties, including a 'split' type which consists of individual rings.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_knuckles
I'm not very fond of them personally, I much prefer a weighted chain or beads which can be worn around one's neck.

No one ever said laws were meant to be intelligent or 'make sense', laws are passed b'cos of politics rather than safety or common sense.  Downloading fansubs is technically illegal too, though I haven't heard of anyone getting arrested for that.

Offline Samejima Mamimi

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2006, 05:11:16 am »
Brass knuckles don't need knife blades, most don't even have a sharp edge.
There are many different varieties, including a 'split' type which consists of individual rings.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_knuckles
I'm not very fond of them personally, I much prefer a weighted chain or beads which can be worn around one's neck.

No one ever said laws were meant to be intelligent or 'make sense', laws are passed b'cos of politics rather than safety or common sense.  Downloading fansubs is technically illegal too, though I haven't heard of anyone getting arrested for that.

Not sure how all of this is relevant. Can you cite a source that says that "finger armor" specifically is against any law anywhere? I run in cirlces where people commonly wear this type of jewelry, and they would have raised a huge stink if this was true.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 01:13:18 pm by Samejima Mamimi »

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2006, 07:30:07 am »
Just do a quick search, here are some examples.  I know if you look at the amended AB1237 that is crossed out, but the definition still fits the one used and the same definition can be found in multiple bills.

From AB1237   "(7) As used in this section, "metal knuckles" means any device or instrument made wholly or partially of metal which is worn for
purposes of offense or defense in or on the hand and which either
protects the wearer's hand while striking a blow or increases the
force of impact from the blow or injury to the individual receiving
the blow. The metal contained in the device may help support the hand
or fist, provide a shield to protect it, or consist of projections
or studs which would contact the individual receiving a blow."

Many bills use this type of language, refering to "metal knuckles" as a "deadly weapon" and imposing minimum penalties for possession, etc.

From SB194 "For purposes of this subdivision, "deadly weapon" is defined to include any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, billy, sandclub, sandbag, metal knuckles, any dirk, dagger, pistol, revolver, or any other firearm, any knife having a blade longer than five inches, any razor with an unguarded blade and any metal pipe or bar used or intended to be used as a club."

If you go to the site for your state, many states have a search engine where you can search all bills, just do a search for "metal knuckles" to see what the laws in your state are.  For example:

(720 ILCS 5/24-1) Sec. 24-1. Unlawful Use of Weapons.

(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:

(1) Sells, manufactures, purchases, possesses or carries any bludgeon,black-jack,slung-shot,sand-club, sand-bag, metal knuckles, throwing star, or any knife, commonly referred to as a switchblade knife, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, or a ballistic knife, which is a device that propels a knifelike blade as a projectile by means of a coil spring, elastic material or compressed gas; or...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 07:38:02 am by Sindobook »