Author Topic: NANA Anime & Live-Action  (Read 88326 times)

Offline Lady_Bell

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
Re: NANA Anime & Live-Action
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 04:57:41 am »
Thanks for the link Lady_Bell, that site has all kinds of good info.  :)

I'm pretty sure that the movie will spoil a good chunk of the anime.  My guess would be at least the first 13 episodes will follow the movie almost exactly so there are sure to be spoiled plot points.

Jdorama's not completely up to date sometimes, but I like it anyway.  :)

Thanks for letting me know about the movie, that was pretty much what I expected but you never know unless you ask.  *^^*

Offline Rashid

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 11:12:21 pm »
Thanks guys. Nana is a great anime and the subbing and quality of the episode is great too. at first i thought i wont like it cause of it's art style. i can't believe i watched it three times in the first day XD

try here
http://www.tokyotosho.com
i couldn't find the opening nor ending song there.at least no search results for tsuchiya anna, olivia etc. can someone help me to get those songs? thnx.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 11:14:08 pm by Rashid »

Offline nemui

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 02:53:43 am »
Another great pair of releases.  Thanks a lot and keep up the good work!

Offline clubikimakuri

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2006, 09:45:07 am »
Fantastic stuff!  I've been reading the latest batch of Nana comics (my girlfriend got me into it) and the anime does a fantastic job of realizing the written work. 

The subs are great as well.  They're not too long or difficult to read, and never leave anything out.  There are times, however, when some English phrases are a bit out of character...I mean there are times when Nana-chan sounds more like a textbook than the 20-year-old-but-still-schoolgirl-at-heart little girl she is.  Sometimes the flavor of the Japanese and the English just don't match.  I'm definitely not criticizing, I've never done any subbing work like this so I can hardly begin to appreciate the time and effort that goes into a project like this.  A 20 minute ep like this must take hours to translate and sub, and then to try and get the nuances and shades of language just right must require mammoth amounts of energy.  Full props to tofusensei for doing a fantastic job. 

Can't wait for ep 2!

Offline Tofusensei

• Admin
  • Rakuen Hero
  • Believe in love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2006, 10:52:20 am »
Can you give me some examples? I'm not sure I fully understand *_*

-Tofu
The alpha and the omega of Live-eviL.

Offline clubikimakuri

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2006, 02:53:31 pm »
K, give me the weekend and I'll find some examples to get my point across better.  Then you'll proly just call me anal ;)

Offline thecleric007

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2006, 05:30:01 pm »

My guess is that Nana was originally a manga.  Does anyone know if the story goes much beyond the movie ending?  I usually prefer watching the anime or live-action versions of stories over their manga origins but often they cut the story short of their original ending, and I'd like to read more if it is available. 

Yes, NANA was originally a manga, by Ai Yazawa, and I definitely recommend it if you like the anime and live action.  I'm not 100% certain, but I do believe the manga is still running in Japan, so yes, it does go beyond the live-action movie's events (and there was a lot cut out for the movie, especially concerning Nana K/Hachi, though it looks like the anime is going to handle that better, since they seem to be sharing her backstory, from the titles given for the next episodes).  Actually, a second live-action movie is currently being planned.

I'm eagerly awaiting seeing the second episode, thank you Live-Evil SO much for subbing this ^_^
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 12:28:26 am by thecleric007 »

Offline Death Grin

• n00b Hero
  • SH Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Defied Dreams.Net
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2006, 11:16:37 pm »
I heard a lot about the manga from friends, and was planning on reading. But it's so cool that an anime released, I always prefer anime to Manga.

Great job on subbing the first episode guys!  ;D

Offline Darner

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2006, 06:14:43 am »
Absolutely awesome series, grabbing EP 2 as we speak.  I started grabbing alot of the new stuff and above and beyond everything this one wont get out of my head, and the subbing job, well what else can I expect but pure awesomeness from LE, props on the subs and another great pick of a series.

Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, cant say goodbye :P

too corny i couldnt resist ::)

Offline clubikimakuri

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2006, 02:32:03 pm »
I'm starting to regret my original post...after going back and trying to find some examples I realized how hard this must be for you guys and I was just being anal.  I got to thinking about the difference between translation and interpretation.

Something like, when the Nanas met in the apartment, Nana-chan said,

あたしってそんなに印象薄い?

You guys had a quite literal translation "Do I really leave that weak of an impression?" which is fine, but not something most English speakers would say...something like, "Was I really that boring?" which isn't a literal translation, but an English equivalent that carries the same sentiment and sounds a bit more natural. 

This is crazy tho...I mean look how much thought I've put into just one phrase and you guys have entire eps to cover.  There's no way I could do what you guys do. 

Thanks for all the hard work!

Offline Masakari

• kl33my Hero
  • Scourge of the Matsumoto Division (FLAME!)
    • View Profile
    • Live Evil
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2006, 04:48:15 pm »
メーテル!!!!!

...Oh sorry, wrong thread.  ;)

Offline Tofusensei

• Admin
  • Rakuen Hero
  • Believe in love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2006, 12:57:33 am »
I'm starting to regret my original post...after going back and trying to find some examples I realized how hard this must be for you guys and I was just being anal.  I got to thinking about the difference between translation and interpretation.

Something like, when the Nanas met in the apartment, Nana-chan said,

あたしってそんなに印象薄い?

You guys had a quite literal translation "Do I really leave that weak of an impression?" which is fine, but not something most English speakers would say...something like, "Was I really that boring?" which isn't a literal translation, but an English equivalent that carries the same sentiment and sounds a bit more natural. 

This is crazy tho...I mean look how much thought I've put into just one phrase and you guys have entire eps to cover.  There's no way I could do what you guys do. 

Thanks for all the hard work!

O_O;

I dunno, I think I'd say that in English...

Maybe I'm just weird...

* Tofusensei goes to rethink his whole existence...

-Tofu
The alpha and the omega of Live-eviL.

Offline Tokuwa

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2006, 11:19:21 pm »
As fresh member, first of all a warm "Hi there!" to everybody and a great big "Thanks!" to L-E for subbing the NANA Anime *and* Movie!

I'm fan of the Manga every since it started being being released here in Germany about a half a year ago, we're at volume 7 now - I've read they past volume 15 in Japan by now, and no end is in sight - Ai Yazawa's longest series, so far. Anyway, I may be able to provide some details on the differences between manga<->movie<->anime - feel free to ask me about the manga as much as you want ^_^

So far I can tell you the movie covers volumes 1 to 4.5 so the manga story goes far beyond the ending of the movie. 4.5, you may wonder? Well the movie ends right in the middle of the volume - that scene is simply continued in the manga, without any fade or cut xD.

So far, I love the anime-adaption - I'm surprised how close they're adapting the style and scenes as they come in the manga - the partial lack of animation is acceptable, in my eyes - to add more animation, they would have to probably simplify the character-design more, taking away the special flair of Ai Yazawa style.
After seeing Paradise Kiss, another anime to an Ai Yazawa manga, I'm really satisfied with NANA - in ParaKiss they often placed close-ups on more-or-less random objects during conversations to avoid animating *anything* ::laughs::

Oh yeah, and Ep2 was a big surprise - I didn't think they'd roll up Hachi's (Nana K. ) past as detailed as in the manga. By the way, Ep2 was the content of the first chapters of NANA ^^ This is how everything starts in the manga. If they keep on like this, we'll see NANA O.'s past next up.

To L-E - I hope you're prepared for a long series XD Seeing the pace of the anime, this adaption is taking it's time and hardly skips any content of the manga (which is wonderful to see, for a fan like me xD) - Right now it's 2-3 episodes per volume, I'd estimate ^^

Offline Tokuwa

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2006, 11:37:44 pm »
O_O;

I dunno, I think I'd say that in English...

Maybe I'm just weird...

* Tofusensei goes to rethink his whole existence...

-Tofu

Haha, don't. ^^ I actually think the line suits the character well. NANA is a rather mature shoujo-anime and even Hachiko with all her cuteness is someone capable of elaborate language plus it also underlines the "alternative" character of the story, one could say.

Offline Syaoran-kun

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
    • Live-eviL Official Website
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2006, 07:43:35 am »
Tofu, cuando vamos a ver la versión en español de NANA 1? ??? :'(
Tsubasa Tokyo Revelations:
http://www.tsubasa-kuronikuru.com/