Author Topic: Playing videos freezes my computer  (Read 15500 times)

Offline KunoMochi

• n00b Hero
  • Yum yum yum!
    • View Profile
Playing videos freezes my computer
« on: June 07, 2006, 08:06:48 pm »
I have a straight-out problem with playing videos—any videos. Everytime I do it would start up the player, then it freezes and gives me fruity-colored vertical lines on the screen. I'm thinking that the problem may either be from the codecs I've installed on my computer or that my computer may not be getting enough juice (power wattage) to play videos (which shouldn't be since I've watched Ultraman just fine not too long ago).

I'm thinking that it may just be from codec conflicts, so I would like to know if there was a way to clear out specific (or all) installed codecs and re-install them? I want to see if there's any other way than to reformat my system. ^^;

I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Matroska pack to no avail... :-\

Additional feedbacks/comments are welcomed.

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
  • *L-E Staff* *Translator/ tlc/ newb typesetter*
    • View Profile
Re: Playing videos freezes my computer
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 08:46:07 pm »
Hmmm, give me some into about your computer, like Pentium or Athalon, how many Ghz, etc.  and also what codecs you've installed and from where.  I don't think it has anything to do with the power.  Maybe I can help provided I know what type of computer are you using.
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432
22:03 Mamo-chan: :O
22:06 Tsubie-chan: kaawaii

Offline KunoMochi

• n00b Hero
  • Yum yum yum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 10:07:42 pm »
Am currently running on these specs:

2.25GHz 3000+ AMD Athlon 64
2 GB DDR RAM
Windows XP Pro SP 2

Only known codecs that I had installed are the ones in the Matroska pack, really. It started up freezing on me when I first tried to run a media through Steam (Valve). Come to think of it, it may be caused by that... Hmm...

:edit:

Oh yeah, I've also tried downloading CCCP, but it yielded the same results.

Other players that I had tried are WMP 10, WMP 6, and BS Player.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 10:19:58 pm by KunoMochi »

Offline bastard-sama

• Live Evil Members
  • Rakuen Hero
  • in the middle of nowhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 10:18:01 pm »
as i have said thousands of times if you want help find another forum we dont cater to helping leechers with video playing problems because if you didnt mess with your computer it should work fine if you installed the right codecs
The resident bastard.

Offline mamochan

• Rakuen Hero
  • Ayukawa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 10:22:36 pm »
WMP is gay.

Use Media Player Classic or Zoom Player.
DVD Backlog: Galaxy Angel (all of them), GITS: SAC, Juuni Kokki, Last Exile, Master Keaton, Rurouni Kenshin TV, Saber Marionette J, Saber Marionette J Again, Saber Marionette J to X, Slayers (The), Slayers Next, Slayers Try.

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 10:30:08 pm »
For how long have you had this problem and really, do you remember doing anything without computer that might possibly have caused the problem?
22:02 Mamo-chan: tsubie. if you were a doll. you'd be this: https://www.rinkya.com/new/en/auction-d138692432

Offline KunoMochi

• n00b Hero
  • Yum yum yum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 10:33:42 pm »
Hmm... At first I thought it was just the MKV codec was bad, but then the AVIs stopped working. Well, if you can't help, that's alright. :-\

It all really started since I tried viewing the Half-Life 2 trailers on Steam's own media player. I'm guessing that it is the culprit, but I'll just try going indepth with it and get to the bottom of it myself.

Thanks for trying, though, Tsubasa.

And sorry for the trouble, b-sama. ^^;

mamochan: I tried them both already. I think it's just Steam Media Player just screwing up everything. :-\

Tsubasa: I've only messed with my computer hardware-wise. Just doing minor things like cleaning it out, re-organizing the wires, etc.

How many more posts are going to appear before I get to post this? ^^; (Supposed to be the last reply)

Offline Tsubasa

• Chibi-usa Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 10:39:21 pm »
Hmm... At first I thought it was just the MKV codec was bad, but then the AVIs stopped working. Well, if you can't help, that's alright. :-\

It all really started since I tried viewing the Half-Life 2 trailers on Steam's own media player. I'm guessing that it is the culprit, but I'll just try going indepth with it and get to the bottom of it myself.

Thanks for trying, though, Tsubasa.

And sorry for the trouble, b-sama. ^^;

mamochan: I tried them both already. I think it's just Steam Media Player just screwing up everything. :-\

Tsubasa: I've only messed with my computer hardware-wise. Just doing minor things like cleaning it out, re-organizing the wires, etc.

How many more posts are going to appear before I get to post this? ^^; (Supposed to be the last reply)

You think you can get some technician or something to examine your computer? 

Offline KunoMochi

• n00b Hero
  • Yum yum yum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 10:47:39 pm »
Nah, it's running fine (I just need to get a power supply with higher wattage to stop its whining... D: ).

This problem isn't really that big of a deal; it's just annoying since I can't play videos. XP The system is due for a reformat, anyway.

Offline Solo_Senshi

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 09:12:05 am »
I have that problem after viewing a video or playing a game in Steam (Valve logo is an AVI).  So now whenever I want to watch a game trailer, I right click on it and select "Play with associated player".

I don't know what causes it, but a reboot fixes it.  It is annoying, especially if you don't want to reboot. :-\

Offline Sindobook

• Maetel Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 08:57:57 pm »
What kind of PIG do you have?  I had the exact same problem.  The PIGs (I have 2) were using Skype (www.skype.com) when I was not around and changing all the settings on my computer to their own liking.  They installed some kind of goofy screen saver I could not get rid of, malware with a monkey that ran around and made monkey noises, while mooning people or making obscene gestures.  I tried running Lavasoft Ad-aware but that didn't get rid of all of it, eventually I gave up and just restored the system registry.  I got the pigs their own computer to goof around with and the problem is fixed now.  The PIGs like to watch Animal Yokocho, Tonde Boorin, and Ebichu the wonder hamster or whatever it's called. 

Offline Solo_Senshi

• n00b Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 06:37:39 am »
I don't know about the OP, but nobody touches my computer, I am so protective of it.

I have a nine character password that no one would guess, and when I have to leave it unattended I switch it to the login screen.

If someone wants to use it, they get a Limited user account, so they can't install anything or change system settings.

Offline Amrod

• n00b Hero
  • I'm just your common uncommon kid 'round the block
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 04:33:51 am »
These problems are generally caused by conflicting codecs. Happens when you install new players, watch from the internet, or have security settings way to lax and allow the pc to install what it pleases. Sometimes getting rid of all your codecs and installing a few specific ones solves the problem. I had a similar problem before, so I just un-installed the players and deleted the codecs. Re-installed the 4 specific players I now use (WMP 10, Winamp, VLC, GOM Player) and put some of their codecs and solved the problem.
<(Amrod)> says "Birthdays tell how long you've been on the road, not how far you've travelled"