General > Current & Future L-E Projects

New series suggestion thread

<< < (2/56) > >>

Dougtron:
Personally I wouldn't really support the Sailor Moon Center because they're releasing DVD rips of licensed shows and they released rips of all the US released Sailor Moon DVDs.  Since Sailor Moon isn't licensed anymore they could fansub it themselves but I just don't think it's right to do straight rips of the US DVD's.  I'm personally buying all the R2 DVD's and would like to do a fansub of the whole series but haven't been able to find a translator.

YaoiBoy:
Well...

You are getting your wish... In a SPECIAL EDITION at that! :D Sailor Moon never sounded better! If you haven't seen it, check out the thread New Series: Sailor Stars - REMASTERED!

Thank you and I hope you enjoy it.

Tsubasa:
Hello, I'm ALMOSt a newbie in this fansubbing business.  I know this is stupid question, but since I never had to bother about regions...whats this Region 1 and Region 2 thing?  Is there something known as 'region free'? ???  How is ripping from a US DVD legally different from ripping from a R2 DVD? ???

Solo_Senshi:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd_regions

Region codes are a stupid idea and are just a minor annoyance.

And yes there are DVD's that are "region free" and players that are "region free".

Now what this means in the context of fansubs is, a fansub group will not sub shows that have been licensed and released in their native country.  So when an Anime is licensed and released in the US, it is a region 1 disc.  Distributing those is a violation of US copyright, and would get the group in big trouble.

Now Japan is in DVD region 2.  Distributing those is a violation of Japanese copyright, but the companies don't seem to care much.  Because if they wanted, they could push the issue under the Berne Convention.

Now the UK is also in region 2, so if an Anime was licensed in the UK, any fansub group based out of there would also drop those projects.

So in short region codes are intended to hinder people from importing DVD's from other regions instead of getting the release that was intended for their region.

I hope I explained that well.

Tsubasa:

--- Quote from: Solo_Senshi on May 25, 2006, 11:07:32 pm ---http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd_regions

Region codes are a stupid idea and are just a minor annoyance.

And yes there are DVD's that are "region free" and players that are "region free".

Now what this means in the context of fansubs is, a fansub group will not sub shows that have been licensed and released in their native country.  So when an Anime is licensed and released in the US, it is a region 1 disc.  Distributing those is a violation of US copyright, and would get the group in big trouble.

Now Japan is in DVD region 2.  Distributing those is a violation of Japanese copyright, but the companies don't seem to care much.  Because if they wanted, they could push the issue under the Berne Convention.

Now the UK is also in region 2, so if an Anime was licensed in the UK, any fansub group based out of there would also drop those projects.

So in short region codes are intended to hinder people from importing DVD's from other regions instead of getting the release that was intended for their region.

I hope I explained that well.

--- End quote ---

My head spinnnnssss!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version